Horse Racing Thread

overthehillsandfaraway

Best of luck to both of you... and I'm glad you get to enjoy such a friend.

The age horses are raced at is much too young IMO as well. Run a horse as a two year old and they retire from racing at age 5 or so. A lot of horses (non-racing ones anyway) are just reaching their prime at that age. Most non-racing horses aren't even trained for riding until they're two... or three.

I think a lot of injuries are due to cumulative stress/injury. I think they're pushed too far, too fast.

I think of it like some of the Olympic athletes we have. Some of the sports have very young contestants... 16 year old, sometimes even 13-14 year old gymnasts and skaters, etc... so you know they started at much younger ages than that... and they're retired by the time they hit their twenties.

I didn't hear yet exactly what happened, but I did see some of the footage briefly... and I don't care to watch it again.

I understand what you're saying about PETA and I agree with some of it. They ARE extreme and I don't agree with some of their stances or their way of bringing attention to it. However, as extreme as they are, and regardless of their credibility, they do bring things to the public's attention. As a result, some folks start looking at the issues raised and sometimes things get changed. Turning lab animals loose that have never been 'free' can be really foolish and ironically dangerous for the lab animals... BUT the way lab animals are obtained, treated during their 'careers', discarded afterwards, etc. have been changed as a result.

(But then, I tend to think that 'radical fringe groups' serve a very valuable purpose... and that is to get attention placed upon issues that otherwise aren't considered, or maybe even known. Sometimes that is what it takes. I often don't think the radical 'solutions' these groups come up with are practical or appropriate... but the change that does result may very well not come about without the radical fringe element making a lot of noise about the issue at hand.

Thank you for your kind words.

I'm not a member of PETA, and I think they take animal rights to an extreme. But I also think if they hadn't thrown blood or red paint on people wearing fur, it'd still be ok to wear fur, and so on. Sometimes radical action is called for.

I know the old vacqueros wouldn't dream of starting a horse in serious work until they were at least four years old, because that's about when horses' bones have finished growing, and they are physically AND mentally mature. That's true of any type of horse, probably extra true of Thouroughbreds who are big, with fine bones. People who use horses daily in work realize there's no point in having one who's useless by age five because of early over work.

It seems that nowadays people don't want to pay the price of feeding and training a horse for that long, they want the pay out, and they want it now. Of course a two or three year old is fast and athletic, but that isn't the point, if you care about horses.

The great Grand Prix horses or show jumpers are sometimes in their late teens, for heaven's sake, think of the investment in those horses, time, money, and emotional.

As I understand it, horses have evolved for running and are competitive against each other naturally - especially at a young age. Do they really need jockeys to steer or whip them in order to run a race? Jockeys are relatively light, but must put pressure and imbalance on the horses legs. If greyhounds can race uncumbered, why not horses?

Well, first you'd have to scare the hell out of them to get them to start running, otherwise they'd be likely to go find some grass and start munching. That kind of group gallop is generally reserved for escaping marauding lions.

Wow, what a fab idea. Screw horse racing! Lets line up with our fancy hats and bet on the great Rat race!

Really though, I used to love watching the races, but lately I've become pissed off the way humans treat some animals. IMHO those greyhound races should be banned. The poor guys have to be adopted out or killed after they lose their $$ value.

I'm getting incredibly "soft" in my old age.

:(

Some are going way overboard on this. These horses have been put out to pasture after their careers are over and been very well treated. Sure there are assholes that dont treat animals the way they should. After Katrina hit New Orleans I was very upset to see the dogs and cats with no homes. I immediatly sent a donation to Noahs Ark and the Humane Society, just to give you some background on how I feel about animals. But Horse racing is not a bad thing. What happened at the Kentucky Derby on Saturday is a rare thing. It sucks. But to try and bann the sport like some would is fucking ridiculaous and will NEVER happen.

O.K. - just a thought, that a horses natural desire to run could be worked into a training program for racing without a jockey. Apparantly not.

No sweat. Horses do like to have a job, but, they'd rather not work too hard, left to themselves. Like any self-respecting animal, they'll save the energy for when it's really needed.

I love you avatar! Can I ask where you got it?

It's an old Fender ad that I remember from Guitar Player magazine. Someone posted a link to a bass player forum that had it - that's where I was able to save it from.

As far as this topic, I am not a fan of horse racing in it's current form - but do live near stables that are nice to visit and watch the horses being trained or frolic on their own.

"The son of Boundary will train at Churchill Downs for his Preakness preparations and is expected to arrive at Pimlico Wednesday, May 14 in Stall 40 of the stakes barn."

Can't wait to get a glimpse of this magnificent colt. It would be nice to see him win the TC.

The death of Eight Belles is surely a tragic event that every one involved in racing (fans, jockeys, handlers, trainers or owners) is heartbroken about. PETA just adds insult to injury with their fallacious claims about animal abuse. This was freak accident that no one could have prevented or predicted.

"The son of Boundary will train at Churchill Downs for his Preakness preparations and is expected to arrive at Pimlico Wednesday, May 14 in Stall 40 of the stakes barn."

Can't wait to get a glimpse of this magnificent colt. It would be nice to see him win the TC.

The death of Eight Belles is surely a tragic event that every one involved in racing (fans, jockeys, handlers, trainers or owners) is heartbroken about. PETA just adds insult to injury with their fallacious claims about animal abuse. This was freak accident that no one could have prevented or predicted.

The "bridge jumpers" will be out in force. Ecpect to get $2.10 return on every two dollars you wager on Big Brown. Not worth the risk of hammering him. You wont make shit and you run the risk of getting burned big time if there is an accident. I hope nothing goes wrong. If all is ok, he wins this race for fun.

I visited with some family friends down in the carolinas a few weeks ago and met their friends, who raise horses. Quite amazing to see these animals close up and even more amazing to me, that they sell the horses for $100,000.

• 2 weeks later...

Well folks, tomorrow is the Preakness Stakes from Maryland. The second leg of horse racing's triple crown. Big Brown is the heavy favorite and should be. I think he will win easily. But that will make you no money just betting him to win. You will probably only get ten or twenty cents back on every two dollars wagered. To make money on this race you must hit the exacta and/or trifecta. Big Brown is number 7. So here are the exactas and trifecta numbers I am playing: 7 over 6,8,12 exacta. 7 with 8,12 with 6 trifecta. and 7 with 6,8,12, with 6,6,12 with 3 for the superfecta. For the two day daily double (todays Piimlico special and tomorrows Preakness) I am wheeling the 2,4,8 with 7 (Big Brown). This horse can win the triple crown for the first time in 30 years. 11 before him have won the first two and then lost the Belmont. But this is a special horse that can get the job done. This post is meant for only those interested in horse racing. Im not interested in being criticized and scolded by non interested members.

On to Belmont!!! :D

The replay from the overhead view was amazing- the way Big Brown just took off when he hit the top of the stretch, it almost looked like he doubled the length of his stride, makng the other horses look like they were just standing still- beautiful.....

Yeah. He is going to be the first triple crown winner in 30 yrs in my opinion. He is a monster.

• 3 weeks later...
DA' TARA WINS BELMONT!

IT'S NO DICE FOR BIG BROWN.

Looked to me like something was wrong with Big Brown... he had nothing coming off the 3/4. I believe that was the worst finish for any horse that won the first two triple crown races... too bad.

It really pisses me off that the network stole Da'Taras moment of glory. Wire to wire....

Big Brown, nice run, got bumped around a bit but jockey basically said "OK, yer done Boy, let's take er easy now" So sad...really wanted to see him win....still....don't chase the owner and trainer down now when they're having the worst feeling of their life and leave the victor without comment or anything.

They didn't even say what the tri paid...shitty coverage!

yeah the only thing that came form all of this is that big brown stole the show from a dead house and the house that won the race.

Im kinda glad the trainer didn't win, because he was a complete fuck up who did drugs when he had a kid. then he comes out and basiclay guarentees victory. fuck him. i would like to see a triple crown winner, but that whole steriod deal came off shitty to me too.

they said they didnt see anything wrong physically with big brown... so who knows, but its one more year to the drought...

lets get a time machine, bring back Secretariat and get all the horse jacked up on steriods or who are genetically engineered... and put them in a race

and watch Secretariat beat them by 31 lenghts... again

• 4 months later...
Breeders Cup is at Santa Anita in California this year. Oct 24th and 25th. I think it may be tougher than usual for European horses crossing the Atlantic for this years races as they must travel across about 8 time zones. It will be on a poly surface that will supposedly favor closers.

I haven't watched the Breeders Cup in several years. Thanks for posting this reminder.

If I remember right, don't they have turf races also? I used to watch all the races. I have some friends that use to tape it and I would go to their house watch it. Now that I have read this, I going to check with them. It would be fun, especially listening to every ones post race analysis.

• 2 months later...
There is a horse at the Meadowlands racetrack tonight in the sixth race called Yukon Cornelius. And he is being picked to win by the best handicappers. I have to bet him.

Is the horse where you got your user name from? (from your posts on this thread you seem to be a horse racing fan, so I was just wondering...)

I have played the horses for many many years and will say this sport has done me far more good than bad. I dont know if there is any interest here, but with the Kentucky Derby 2 weeks away, Ill see what kind of feedback I get. I just hit the Lexington Stakes exacta for $237, had the Florida Derby and have won many large bets on horse racing (the sport of Kings). I know that in England you have some great racing and in fact turf racing is my favorite. But lets talk Derby. On paper this race to me is a two horse race right now. In the past favorites have done poorly. But if there are no unforseen events in the next two weeks, I will hammer an exacta box of Colonel John and Big Brown. And wheel them both ways and use all other horses for third for the trifecta. Any horse players here???

How's it going "overthehillsandfaraway?" As a kid and a teenager, I grew up watching Secretariat and Seattle Slew win the Triple Crown. I would have loved to have seen Big Brown win it. Secretariat still owns many race records to this very day including The Kentucky Derby. Secretariat was as fast as lightening. ROCK ON!

Well, You may as well call me "Icantquityoubabe". my original name here as Sam knows. I made mistakes and I paid for them. I hope that nobody holds grudges as I know a few here do. But I cant change the past. May he that is without sin cast the first stone! Ever heard that before? Im sure you have. Big Brown should have won and it it is an injustice to racing that that dickhead trainer messed it up. Richard Dutrow is the dicks name.

I can't disagree with you on that one "Yukon Cornelius!" Life goes on! You're also right about another, Big Brown should have won the Triple Crown. Big Brown got cheated out of the history books. What a shame. ROCK ON!

• 2 months later...
Crazy ass friend asks me what I would rather have, sex or my horse win the race. I laughed. He said he would rather have his horse win. Said its better than sex! :lol:

I hear he dropped a C note today so he is getting neither.

It depends on which one is more accessible at the time :D