Slate Chocolate Marble
Slate Chocolate Marble

Led Zeppelin Official Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
One Symbol

Walking Into Clarksdale - Rediscovered

80 posts in this topic

On 3/25/2017 at 3:21 PM, bluecongo said:

I just can't get past the poor production, sorry.  And there are some good songs on there for sure. 

I  listen to it once every few years and I hate it more each time.  

:D

I have to say that I hate it a bit less each time I hear it, but I'm never pleasantly overwhelmed by it. My observations from re-listening to it recently:

- It sounds like a RP solo album with Page on guitar (not surprising with the rhythm section being RP's rhythm section on several albums previous).

- Many of the songs don't sound fully finished to my ears; some songs sound more like high-quality demos.

- Why they had Steve Albini record and mix the album, I'll never know. Since he came originally from the punk world and produced for grunge bands like Nirvana, that's the sound that really comes through on the songs, even the quieter ones. If they hired him to sound more "current" (at the time), why? (I think Albini's mixing gave some of the songs the unfinished quality I raised in my last point.)

- The better songs are earlier on the album, IMHO - they seem to meander more as the album goes on.

Now, I do like several songs (e.g., Shining In The Light, Please Read The Letter, Most High, among others), but, IMHO, they should have just mixed the album themselves and fleshed out several other songs. When I finish listening to the album, I'm always struck by how spare the whole thing sounds - almost antiseptic in some songs...

I do wish they would release a live CD/DVD/Blu-Ray of the tour though - that was great! :)

26 minutes ago, ForEvermore said:

- Why they had Steve Albini record and mix the album, I'll never know.

My guess? It was Plants decision. 

Steve Albini:

“I was impressed with how collaborative Page and Plant were, bearing in mind that there was a previously existing power structure where it was Jimmy Page’s band and Robert was hired to be the singer and in the interim, Robert had gone on to become a very successful solo artist and now should be able to call the shots in a lot of situations. Jimmy was deferential to him in that regard.”

1 hour ago, blindwillie127 said:

Steve Albini:

“I was impressed with how collaborative Page and Plant were, bearing in mind that there was a previously existing power structure where it was Jimmy Page’s band and Robert was hired to be the singer and in the interim, Robert had gone on to become a very successful solo artist and now should be able to call the shots in a lot of situations. Jimmy was deferential to him in that regard.”

Ah...well that confirms what I suspected.

Thank you for finding and posting this quote!

1 hour ago, blindwillie127 said:

Steve Albini:

And clearly remains deferential to him to this day.

There's the crucial mistake: Page is one of the greatest Rock Producers ever, but he let two lesser men exert too much control.   

Theres a reason Roberts name has never received sole Producing credits.

Albini quite simply not in same league as either one.