The Official Yardbirds Thread

I found at the record store a picture disc of an interview with Jim McCarty and Chris Dreja called Afternoon Tea. It's from 1982, just before Box of Frogs. It's the interview, or one of them, in which Chris jokes that Jimmy Page was so eager to join the Yardbirds that he would've probably played drums.

Not a rare item but interesting, to me anyway. The back features reminiscences of Shelly Heber, who was president of the Yardbirds' fan club--Taspey--in the late 1960s. Her comments are in some cases pretty negative, probably not the sort of thing that would be included on an album sleeve today. I've attached a few pics including the text of the paragraph that mentions Jimmy.

I've got a sealed copy of Afternoon Tea. As you noted, it's virtually worthless, but I love it as part of my extensive Yardbirds collection.

• 3 months later...
  • 6 years later...

From JimmyPage.com today October 23 (1966)

I played The Fillmore Auditorium with The Yardbirds

The Yardbirds played in the afternoon at the Fillmore, San Francisco and it was an amazing show. Jeff Beck and I got a lift from the venue with some guys and one of them had recorded it.

It was a pleasant surprise to hear it played back en route from the gig. The recording quality was poor from the small dictaphone type recorder, but the playing of the band was great.

I guess this tape just disappeared into the ether.

• 2 years later...

The only plausible instance of Cassandra possibly crossing paths with the Yardbirds would have been July 1967 in Colorado Springs. It's where she attended high school and she references Denver when speaking of Hendrix. In July 67 she was not yet 16 years old. Judge for yourself.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

its interesting, i didn’t know more than one led zeppelin song on from the Yardbirds, other than In My Time of Dying. Which at the time was with Jeff Beck, Jimmy Page and Eric Clapton and had some other singer than Robert Plant obviously, I don’t know who sang for the Yardbirds.  So obviously TSRTS is a led zeppelin song and In my Time of Dying still had the same name when it made it on Physical Graffiti, sorry I know someone was talking about that before.

On 8/30/2011 at 12:59 PM, Chap said:

To me the opening of "Tinker Tailor" is the genesis of what would become TSRTS. That seems the obvious answer, but maybe it is less obvious to some reading this thread.

• 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...