"high hopes hailla ball"?

subhemia

actually, it is a blues. a weird one, but a blues nonetheless. there is not a chord in it that strays far from standard blues format.

the opening riff is in A....the verses are in D...and the ending bit brings in an E chord. the standard format has been stretched out a bit, but it is still the underlying structure of the song.

not that that means anything in terms of lyrical content, of course. there are "happy" blues too.

Hellhound on my Trail isn't one of them. B)

I for one certainly wouldn't call The Ocean a blues at all - the ending bit is more of a rockabilly type of thing to my ears.

Hellhound on my Trail isn't one of them. B)

I for one certainly wouldn't call The Ocean a blues at all - the ending bit is more of a rockabilly type of thing to my ears.

no, hellhound on my trail is not a happy blues. i'm just saying that just because, by and large, the lyrics are upbeat, doesn't mean the ocean isn't a blues. the term "blues" is stereotypically associated with being "blue" i.e. sad, but that's not always what it means.

also, rockabilly IS blues. hillbilly blues, but blues nonetheless.

Im going to have to agree with Knebby, I just messed with it for a while, i definitely hear "_______ high hailla ball" (not quite sure what goes in the blank.)

:huh: I think if the man asked Plant himself he is right, unless he is lying haha. im on your side Knebby

Seeing as you haven't posted in this thread for 6 days, um, thanks for letting us know you're going. Kiss kiss.

i'll be more explicit. some people have been perfectly nice, but i just don't appear to be getting what i came here for; i started with "i know this lyric isn't what is written on the sleeve, does anybody know what it really is?" and the most active responses i'm getting are "actually it IS that", or some variant thereof, which merely insults my intelligence, because it's like someone telling me the sky is green when i can perfectly well see for myself it is not. in short, people either just don't know the answer or are determined to undermine the question. i've reached the conclusion i'm wasting my time here.

"kiss kiss" yourself.

i'll be more explicit. some people have been perfectly nice, but i just don't appear to be getting what i came here for; i started with "i know this lyric isn't what is written on the sleeve, does anybody know what it really is?" and the most active responses i'm getting are "actually it IS that", or some variant thereof, which merely insults my intelligence, because it's like someone telling me the sky is green when i can perfectly well see for myself it is not. in short, people either just don't know the answer or are determined to undermine the question. i've reached the conclusion i'm wasting my time here.

"kiss kiss" yourself.

Oh don't be such a spoiled sport. Different people have differing interpretations, just like with the so-called backmasking. Another fact, if it helps, is that he changed it live. I think I made that point earlier. Just like "Oh my Jesus" became "Oh Georgina" in In My Time of Dying during the '75 tour. The truth is that you're not going to get a definitive answer as even Robert himself claims he doesn't remember. Several people of note have made suggestions that are the best they can come up with.

No, it is not what was printed on the sleeve. I was never among those who thought it was. It was stated before that the words were jumbled during the production of the cover. Robert said as much to a friend of mine.

The bottom line is that no one really knows with all certainty. It's a fluid discussion. So it's up to you whether you're "wasting your time here". There have been some good suggestions here. Take from them as you please.

Personally, I don't buy "Hellhounds". The Old Norse "Heilla" means to invoke spirits, which to me perfectly dovetails with both the spirit of the song, the Zeppelin mystique, and the Houses of the Holy theme. "High Heilla Ball". That works for me on all levels, including the headphones.

Or maybe he just smoked a joint and mumbled it.

I believe I said that in an earlier post. Sorry you didn't find it helpful.

• 3 months later...
It certainly doesn't help that the vocal is double-tracked. Two vocal tacks can bluurrer consonantszes. ;)

Hell, if you're a comics fan, the supposed "Satan and man" in HOTH could sound like "Spiderman"! :lol:

It's def not "Satan and man".

i found this bit of information.

And the days keeps on worryin' me,

there's a hellhound (1) on my trail,

hellhound on my trail, hellhound on my trail

-Robert Johnson

(1) Note 1: According to the Webster online dictionary a hellhound is a "dog of hell, named Cerberus in Greek and Roman mythology, the three-headed dog guarding the gate of Hades". It will probably stay a secret for all times what Robert exactly meant by the hellhound, but the image of the hounds of hell, coming to seize sinners, was often used in southern churches.

Calling all hellhounds: I re-listened to HOTH and HTWWW and all my bootleg Oceans and every one sounds like 'hell high Hellas ball' to me.

Hydro helped my balls . . .

:lol:

It still puzzles me that people would think there'd be mentions of hellhounds in The Ocean! It's totally out of context. The song celebrates the audience Robert's singing to, in the "Houses of the Holy". The concert venues. You'd think the hellhounds would appear in In My Time of Dying or something. Or Nobody's Fault But Mine. But The Ocean??? :huh:

If hell is actually in there, it means a helluva good damn time! :beer:

Edited by Evster2012

:lol:

It still puzzles me that people would think there'd be mentions of hellhounds in The Ocean! It's totally out of context. The song celebrates the audience Robert's singing to, in the "Houses of the Holy". The concert venues. You'd think the hellhounds would appear in In My Time of Dying or something. Or Nobody's Fault But Mine. But The Ocean??? :huh:

If hell is actually in there, it means a helluva good damn time! :beer:

Finally some good sense...

Honestly.., hell-hound ball!? I fuckin' hope not, really, because that would make that the gayest lyric ever.

Calling all hellhounds: I re-listened to HOTH and HTWWW and all my bootleg Oceans and every one sounds like 'hell high Hellas ball' to me.

Hi All,

These are the lyrics from a lyric site.

"Singing in the sunshine, laughing in the rain

Hitting on the moonshine, rocking in the grain

Got no time to pack my bag, my foots outside the door

Got a date, I can't be late, for the high hopes hailla ball."

I think that Robert says,

"Got a date, I can't be late, for the hell hiatus ball."

This makes sense to me as in the context of the song, "Got no time to pack my bag, my foots outside the door Got a date, I can't be late,"

Robert seems to be in a rush to go/get somewhere quick. And as his life must be "Hell" as in rushing around everywhere, and "Hiatus" meaning a break, "hell hiatus ball" would mean,

Hell-Hiatus=Break from a life of Hell

Ball=Party

Seems to work for me, but what do i know anyway, just me too pennath.

Regards, Danny

lol, No, it couldn't be Hella's ball. Heck, She wouldn't even let me bring my hand drums to the family reunion. B) I had to bang away on the table top (rebellious little devil that I am)

• 11 years later...
  • 1 year later...