DVD Earls Court - 24th & 25th 1975

I went to a local record shop today in a college campus area in New Orleans. I was there for a while looking through their endless supply of vinyl. After picking out a handful of great records, I browsed through the "imports" section to find a ton of Zeppelin. Amoung the load were videos from the Earls Court concerts. I grabbed one that was from the 25th. When I got home I put it in my DVD player and was sort of dissapointed as I watched and listened to a struggling Plant. I have read many reviws that at these shows he was suffering from some sort of flu/cold. The DVD also wouldn't allow me the fast forward to the next track. I was able to return it later today and swapped it out for the show on the 24th , which was much more pleasant to watch. I believe the 2003 DVD has songs from this particular night. No Quarter was exceptional as were a few others. Dazed and Confused was a bit more sluggish than the version on TSRTS. I thought they were more together on the older version. I payed more than what I should have for this video, but I knew that going in. I've never purchased a video for what i was worth "sound quality wise". It was exciting to watch even though I've seen and heard better. I read recently that Plant went into a record shop and bought a few boots himself. If he were to go to the place I was today, he'd have to call Jimmy to shut the doors down!!!! There were too many to count. I was curious to know if any of the other shows exist from these string of dates, and which are the best performances?

Compared to really early 75 he sounded really good in all of the Earls Court shows. In fact I don't think the cold/flu was really an excuse after about the first couple of weeks of the tour. I think his voice problems were more because he had surgery on his vocal chords or whatever it was, and wasn't used to his range.

Yeah, I read that JB thought these were the best they ever put on in England. That would be hard to believe, unless they were awful all the other times. These performances are sort of up and down throughout. They weren't terrible but not mind blowing either. I thought the performance from the 24th was a little better than the 25th, but other sources have it the other way around. The name of the this DVD is called Return of the Kings. It's also not complete, but the sound and visuals are good. So far, the best footage (performance wise) are from the earlier years -69'-72'. Thanks for all the helpful comments guys!!!! I've been a Zep freak/fan for 20 something years and a mid-range collector, but I haven't dabbled into the "imports" circuit in a while...so this was a purchace that I hadn't made in some time. Thanks again......

• 1 year later...

I have had both of these Earl's Court dvd's for over a year now. I paid $20 for each from someone on the Internet that I did not know and received them within about one week. Having been a fan of LZ for over 25 years, I WAS NOT and could not ever be disappointed in any way from what my $40 got me. If someone happens to Love Led Zeppelin like I do and wish to discover anything about them, whether written, audio and especially visual, since LZ live on any unofficial video (visual) is pretty or semi-rare, I suggest that you seek out these two concert that are out there on dvd.

By the way, I also have both Led Zeppelin Knebworth concert of August 4 and 11, 1979 of very good quality on (bootleg) dvd. Same deal, cost me $20 each. Believe me, I would have been willing to pay up to $100+ for each of these great and Legendary concerts by my favorite band. What I would have been willing to pay $400-500 for these 4 dvd's (both Earl's Court and Knebworth dvd's) only cost me $80.

I also have full concert dvd's of:

Led Zeppelin Live at the Seattle Kingdome July, 17, 1977

The Firm live at the London HammerSmith Odeon 1984

Jimmy Page and Aerosmith at the Castle Donnington/Marquee Club August 1990

Jimmy Page and Robert Plant Live in Buenos Aires, Argentina 1996

Jimmy Page and Robert Plant Live at the Rockpalast, Germany 1998

Jimmy Page and the Black Crowes Live at Jones Beach, NY 2000

Led Zeppelin "Reunion" London O2 Arena 12/10/2007 (2 different dvd Copies)

Believe me, I am and will always be on the lookout for anything LED ZEPPELIN OR RELATED in any and all forms available.

What I would have been willing to pay $400-500 for these 4 dvd's (both Earl's Court and Knebworth dvd's)only cost me!!!, Believe me, I am and will always be on the lookout for anything LED ZEPPELIN OR RELATED in any and all forms available.

Well then, I have alot of tundra property in Kamchatka I'll sell you! :rolleyes:

Well then, I have alot of tundra property in Kamchatka I'll sell you! :rolleyes:

I realize that you are trying to make a joke, but I do not see the relevance of your proposal or how that seems to be in the least bit funny. And believe me I have one Hell of a sense of humor. All I was saying is that I was willing to pay a whole lot more for 4 semi-rare dvd's of full Led Zeppelin live concerts from both Earls' Court 1975 and both Knebworth 1979 shows. I would say that the $80 it costs me was (is) probably the best investment I ever made.

^ You might notice this thread is in the newbies section. That's for a reason. These DVD's you speak of, at one point, willing to pay $400-$500 for when they can be had for FREE is astonishing. Get the joke?

I realize that you are trying to make a joke, but I do not see the relevance of your proposal or how that seems to be in the least bit funny. And believe me I have one Hell of a sense of humor. All I was saying is that I was willing to pay a whole lot more for 4 semi-rare dvd's of full Led Zeppelin live concerts from both Earls' Court 1975 and both Knebworth 1979 shows. I would say that the $80 it costs me was (is) probably the best investment I ever made.

I think I can just about top your investment as my ticket for the 24th show was £2.50 and was the best £2.50 I ever spent. B)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...

Archived