How did you get into Led Zeppelin

moffo

I've just been wondering, how everyone got into listening to the greatest band in the world and what was the first song you heard??

My story is, I was 14 and at my uncles and he was helping me out with a school project, he said to me "Stick that disc there in and put track 4 on" so being the good lad that i was, i did just that... about 5 minutes later i said to him "Is this that same song?" and there it was I was hooked from there on... I know it's their most popular tune, but to a 14yr old back in 1988 when everyone else was tripping to the stone roses and inspiral carpets, Track 4 on Led Zep IV got me... Stairway of course!!!!

I've just been wondering, how everyone got into listening to the greatest band in the world and what was the first song you heard??

My story is, I was 14 and at my uncles and he was helping me out with a school project, he said to me "Stick that disc there in and put track 4 on" so being the good lad that i was, i did just that... about 5 minutes later i said to him "Is this that same song?" and there it was I was hooked from there on... I know it's their most popular tune, but to a 14yr old back in 1988 when everyone else was tripping to the stone roses and inspiral carpets, Track 4 on Led Zep IV got me... Stairway of course!!!!

My brother had borrowed zep 4 off a mate.I came home just as black dog was ending.Then i heard the drum intro to rock and roll and to borrow your quote i was hooked.That as in 1971,i was 11.Two years later in december 72 i saw them live at the hardrock,stretford Manchester.I was thrilled when they opened with that now famous drum intro.3 years after that i saw them at earls court,having queued over night in manchester for my ticket.And they opened with rock and roll again.My kids dont understand how i can still listen to them after over 35 years,they wonder why i dont get bored.I may try to explain it to them one day.

Thank God for brothers. My 2 older brothers both got LZ1 when it came out; the oldest was into the 4 Seasons, Association and stuff at the time and didn't notice that I "permanently borrowed" his album. Of course I loved it, could never get enough of it, and could never choose a favorite song as that changed on a daily basis. Today I would say that it was Communication Breakdown that made a LZ fanatic of me. Over the next few years I proceeded to steal their copies of 2, 3, 4, HOH, etc (mostly on cassettes) It wasn't until Physical Graffitti came out and I was away at college that I bought my own. :D

It was a gradual process. During visitations with my dad when I was a kid we listened to Led Zeppelin in the car. He bought the box set in the early 90's and would play the cassettes a lot in his car. I would associate Led Zeppelin with him.

When I was 14 I was oblivious to the fact that one of my favorite hip hop songs was using music from a Led Zeppelin song, called Kashmir. The song was "Come With Me" by Puff Daddy, from the Godzilla Soundtrack. I absolutely loved it.

Around 2000 I started to seriously get into Led Zeppelin. I bought the early days/later days first (first led zeppelin music I owned) when I was 16 or 17. It was around this time that my mom heard Stairway to Heaven blaring from my stereo. She told me how much the song meant to her. It was a song that helped her get through a tough part in her life. It gave me a deeper appreciation for Stairway and Led Zeppelin in general.

When I was 18 I bought Led Zeppelin II and I soon bought all of the rest of their albums as well. I've become much, much, much more enthusiastic about Led Zeppelin than my dad. He's never even owned an album and only knows the songs that are from that box set (the tape set was worn out so a few years ago he re-bought it on CD... but now the CD's are all scratched up...). I got him to go with me to see Robert Plant in 2005 and he didn't really seem to be that into it...

I got into Led when I started feeling a deep connection to the Hippies...

I started learning about it, and I just needed to find everything I could, and so, looking to my dad's books collection, I found one that talked about the Hippies, and at that text, there was saying that they heard Led Zeppelin...so I tryed listenning to Led Zeppelin...and when I did, for the first time, I felt something that I cant explain....it was magical... it seemed that I had been listening to them in other life...

now they mean very much to me... I just cant live without their music...

By stealing my brother's copy of Led Zeppelin II; it must have been around 1973 b/c I also stole Dark Side of the Moon at the same time. I clearly remember looking at the cover of II and thinking, "they're ugly! all except him." Him being John Paul Jones. Looks aside, once I heard Whole Lotta Love, I threw all of my David Cassidy 45s in the bin and instantly converted to a LedHead.

:D

I havn't been a zeppelin fan for that long but i got a suscription to a magazine for a christmas present from my mum and the mothership came with it, as soon as she handed it to me she said "ok before you listen to any other song on that CD you must listen to STH" so yeah, and ever since i have heard that song i just fell in love with the band and i kept on searching up their songs and album and listening now i collect their records and stuff.

It was 1974, I was 11 years old visiting a friend's house. His 'older' sister-she was 15- put on Houses of the Holy album and played 'Dancin' Days' and 'Dyer Maker' and I've been hooked ever since.

As the seventies progressed and we got into the eighties, I became seriously disillusioned with the direction pop music was going i.e. Prince, Duran Duran? Give me a fucking break. So I retreated, or should I say charged, yeah, I like that better, I charged with my Viking war cry and climbed aboard the Zeppelin for some serious bombardment.

The passage of time will always tell what something is worth. Does anyone listen to Prince or Wham anymore? Not that I know of, but tens of millions still listen to Led Zeppelin. Thank the gods!

Edited by ZenGalacticore

1969 through a friends older brother. He had a copy of the first album playing while he worked at his mom and dads corner grocery store. He was a music buff who had a great collection of LP's. Actually, he was the guy that introduced me to Hendrix, Cream as well as Miles Davis and many others. Totally shaped my tastes in music and stereo equipment. He was a cool guy

Around 1975, I think. My mum and dad had some friends whose two kids (a girl and a boy) were a few years older than me. We used to go to each others houses for dinner etc, and whilst the adults were nattering over gin and tonics or whatever, us 3 kids used to sit in the front room, usually in the dark, and listen to music. One evening at their house the lad put on LZII, III and IV and I was intrigued. He lent me the albums for a couple of weeks and I played them to death. I specifically then remember PG being released and listening for the first time to Ten Years Gone in that same room. All the details of the room are still crystal clear in my mind - even down to the colour of the sofa - and every time I hear TYG, it's like I go whooshing back in time and I'm sitting on that sofa again, awestruck by this amazing music.

(Just for moffo and hammerhead - all of this happened in Shevington!)

Well at age 10 just before I was to turn 11 .My Uncle and My Cousin dragged Me to see Zep in New York.

It was My first trip to the Big Apple and My first Concert.What a way to start.I was hooked from then on.

Have been A Zep Fan for 39 years as of the end of May.

It started out as me, an average Australian teenager listening to stuff on Triple J. Alot of my favourite artists like Wolfmother, MCR (mind you this was before Black Parade) were influenced by Led Zeppelin, so I decided to check them out. I bought BBC Sessions and was absolutely blown away by the power and raw energy of this band.. I think my favourite track at the time was You Shook Me or Immigrant Song. Soon I bought their other albums, starting with IV, then on Boxing Day I bought I, II and Presence on sale for about AUD$27. And I slowly bought all the others.

And Led Zeppelin is what got me into Classic Rock.. I'm a fan of bands like Pink Floyd, The Who, The Yardbirds, Cream etc. as well. And Zeppelin also got me into the Blues, as I was intrigued by Jimmy Page's virtuosic guitar playing in songs like You Shook Me, Dazed and Confused, I Can't Quit You Baby. Jimmy Page was also my influence to start playing the guitar.

Edited by Anarchy2Howard

I was 8 and sitting on the sofa one afternoon when my dad watched TSRTS. I was more fascinated by Robert's hair than by the music.

6 years later I was playing the guitar and loving the blues. In my favourite guitarmag was Jimmy on the cover and a story inside. I read it, was amused of the wild stories and asked my dad for the DvD. One day when my family left for a walk, I sat on the sofa again and watched TSRSTS a secound time... and my mind flew away!

My dad gave me LZ I and then I was a lost girl, I couldn't help it.

I owe my dad for the rest of my life that he showed me this band!

can you imagine how much I'm tired of duplicated threads??

Don't let it worry you.... If that's the sort of thing that upsets you, you need to sort yourself out. I am new to the site and wanted to hear from other Zep fans, without trawling through pages and pages of threads.

• 2 months later...

So my brother likes great rock bands and he still wants me to listen them to.I started to listen many bands ths way(black Sabbath,Van Halen,Doors...).My first knowed song from LZ was Going to California and then Kashmir,but I didn´t listen to other songs.

Then I really began to love Zep when I saw Robert and heared StairwayTH.