How did you get into Led Zeppelin

moffo

Well....I was 15 and my dad bought tsrts on dvd. I was in no way into rock music of any kind, I was alright with my britney and my destiny's child, but he played stairway and I was caught. I think we are most susceptible to stairway if haven't had any previous experience of rock music. Led Zeppelin was the reason I "grew up" and started digging into the 60's and 70's and got me into music like floyd, janis, hendrix etc. Still, Zeppelin is my favourite band of them all!

I grew up listening to a lot of the same music my parents listened to when they were my age. So basically oldies, classic rock, singers/standards.....that sort of thing. For my birthday one year, my dad took me to a real record store (not CDs....vinyl!) and said I could pick out an album for myself. I bought Led Zeppelin's Physical Graffiti because I liked the song Kashmir and it was on it. After that, I listened to as much of their music as I could and whenever I had the chance, I would buy either their CDs or their albums.

I was probably 13 or 14 at the time, I think.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

without ever hearing them before I bought Led Zeppelin IV cause I saw it on a Rolling Stones (Mexican issue, which only ranked the first ten places) list of the greatest albums ever, along with Physical Graffiti. I didn't buy PG cause it was more expensive, but my uncle bought it for me a few days(?) after. Afterwards I think I got II if I remember correctly. Not sure.. long time ago, I think I was 12 or so.

Obviously, Black Dog was the first Zep song I heard. Don't remember ever hearing them before.

Edited by rulo0801

Well, when I was 13 my uncle gave me a rare tape with Zeppelin recordings, I didn't care so much, but later I played it and I said "oh my God what's this? I remember "celebration day", "rock'n roll", "heartbreaker" blowing on my mind, now I'm 26 and Led Zep is the best thing happened into me... "way down inside" I'm from Costa Rica and in this country it's very difficult to find people who likes led zep, but I do, after that tape I got all Zep collection, now I have a lot of bootlegs, dvds, poster, so what else I can say? the best thing "LED ZEPPELIN"

"But now its time for me to go,

The autumn moon lights my way.

For now I smell the rain,

And with it pain,

And its headed my way.

Ah, sometimes I grow so tired,

But I know Ive got one thing I got to do,"

my fovorite one... :)

New Member, its been a long time ago but when i was very young everything was about the Beatles and then i herd How many more times WOO TALK ABOUT A CHANGE OF LIFE. at the age of 13 or 14 all i could think of besides getting off was LES PAUL andMARSHALL . i havent done so well in playing my les paul but im a dam good listener. Jimmy has by far been #1 to me . Gary from New Orleans

• 2 months later...

I was brainwashed. One of my older brothers used to lock himself in his room and blare Zeppelin when I was like 6. He must have gotten too stoned oneday and played Stairway backwards or something because, I haven't been the same since haha :P. I used to always want to go into his room and listen with him but, the rule was I had to clean his weed while I was in there or no deal. To this day when he and I chill and listen to music if Stairway comes on we both kinda trance out haha ;).

• 4 years later...

I have liked Good Times Bad Times, Thank You and Ramble On since I was a little kid, but it wasn't until about 5 years ago some friends and I were listening to my iPod while hitting a bong and suddenly some creepy slow bass guitar starts rattling everything.. Been Dazed and Confused for so long it's not true.. I went home and put on the early days and was blown away by Whole Lotta Love! I remember listening to several songs thinking every song has its own amazing riff and the singer has the craziest voice!

My dad was a big Beatles fan up until the 1966 period, and that was always played in the house when I was growing up and I sort of became sick of it, it struck me as being overly melody driven in most cases and not enough vibe or feel. I had a cousin from Montreal who turned me on to all sorts of newer rock music. He turned me onto Led Zeppelin along with other groups and because I had a guitar laying around the house and a banjo it was for me a perfect fit. But it really came down to Kashmir, I finally got it at that moment and after those special Zeppelin songs that combined light and shade.

Now when I'm home, I like to walk around the house playing my left handed guitar to Zeppelin and other bands driving my kids batty, but I get a giggle out of it.

• 4 months later...

I was an avid Guns N Roses fan, from there I went to love AC/DC and kept going back in time with my taste. I got all the staples of classic rock off itunes. So of course I got Stairway to Heaven, and to try and broaden my tastes I got Kashmir and Black Dog as well. Still have a "favorite songs" CD in my car that had them on it. Then I proceeded to download Good Times Bad Times, Whole Lotta Love, Heartbreaker, Immigrant Song, and Rock n Roll. Then I just thought I might as well buy the whole Mothership album so I could have the album only Achilles Last Stand. Then I fell in love with the other songs on that album and started getting the original albums and then became obsessed. I now have most of their music on itunes, just waiting for the reissues to come out with those bonus discs to get me some vinyl!!!

Well,their first song i heard was Kashmir,on a radio station.But i didnt knew it was from Led (i didnt even knew the name of the song,or that Led existed).

Before that i remember hearing a wierd remix of D'yer Mak'er,but it wasnt the original so it doesnt count.

After like 2 years or so(16 year old), i already had heard a lot about them,but didnt got interested.Then i was reading an article about the greatest solos ever, and read about Stairway to Heaven.I've saw this one a lot of times on Youtube related videos,so i decided to go and hear it.

The raw awesomeness of Stairway was too superior for my hearing, so after listening for it about like 10 times, i finally recognized the genius' work,and decided i was going to listen to them more and more.

And i still addicted to Led to this very day (it all started like 6 months ago,so i still a newbie).

• 2 weeks later...

Older siblings for me too. Had no idea what they looked like but was mesmerised by the music. Realise now that RP's voice, JP's riffs & JPJ/JB powerhouse rhythms influenced my musical preferences thoughout my life & discover every performer or band that stir me up were influenced by LZ eg Nirvana/ Foo Fighters, Jack White, Cold Chisel.

Can't begin to imagine how good they were live - grateful to JP for preserving their live performances for those of us that will never see the real thing.

I don't know if it counts as a first time but I remember in 2001 watching the mtv ema's and still being into the music of that time, when Fred Durst and Wes Scantlin from bands that I listened at the time started performing an acoustic version of Thank You by a band called Led Zeppelin, which sounded like a familiar name. And midway through the song Jimmy Page appears and plays the solo and lead acoustic guitar to the end. The whole thing is on youtube.

At the time I really loved watching that but I didn't became an instant LZ fan. I kept listening to the rock music that was still playing on mtv and radio back then for a couple more years when I saw a clip of Kashmir and for the next year I started digging the web for music of older decades and also learning how to play guitar and that's how a became a fan.

I find this very interesting because when I watched that performance I've never seen or knew Jimmy but I knew very well the other two, fast forward to present day or even just to 2007 and it's the opposite I feel like I know Jimmy Page and the other members of Led Zeppelin better than any other band or very few bands and I don't care for the stuff I listened as a teenager anymore.

It striked me once that as a child I used to listen to my dad´s records that included Pink Floyd, Deep Purple, Queen, Dire Straits, The Police, Alice Cooper... I even remember a tape with Black Sabbath's Paranoid and an obscure Jimi Hendrix cd collection of songs that he had collaborated or record with other musicians. I don't remember any Led Zeppelin but listening to some songs for the first time they didn't sound like first time to me. Either I had heard them before or the love and influence of classic rock had never abandoned me.

Edited by Arfuriz