How did you get into Led Zeppelin

moffo

5 hours ago, JTM said:

"The" ASDA !!!!!. so do you also say the Tesco or the Saiinsburys, the Morrisons, bet you say Home "and" Bargain too... :D

Haha No. Only used "The" in front of ASDA cos I thought it was the only one.

• 3 weeks later...

My dad's friend made a CD of some of his personal favorite Zeppelin songs and let me borrow it. It had all their famous stuff (Black Dog, Stairway, etc.) and I became a sort of casual fan. Then, on a whim, I purchased the Led Zeppelin DVD. From the first notes at Royal Albert Hall, I was blown away! I then got HTWWW, along with all the studio albums and eventually moved on to bootlegs (my first one was LTTE). The rest, as they say, is history.

I knew LZ from the time I was pretty young.  My mom was a hippie and listened to lots of late 60's and early 70's stuff.  Born in 1973 (my favourite live LZ year) I got great vibes from my parents and their music collection and was around for hearing "Fool In The Rain" on Casey Kasam's weekend show.  It wasnt until my 7th grade year I had made friends with a stoner aptly named Jimmy in a class where we did little but listen to Houses Of The Holy endlessly on a cassette player that you could plug many sets of headphones in.  I had a home ec class that same year and the desk I sat in had notes passed between girls the previous hour, I responded and a girl named Mona Lisa and I became great friends. One night in 1986 while on one of the endless phone chats I was describing my moms LP collection. As I got to LZ I she yelled "Oh put I Cant Quit You Baby on!!!". I did as was totally blown away!! Roberts cry of love at the beginning is a life changer for me but not the defining moment that set me on the course to obsessive. 

My mother and I had a very disgruntled relationship. The summer after 8th grade grad (1987) she decided I was a horrible kid and had me thrown in a hospital for "bad" kids. . 3 months in a kind of jail for kids with problems. Long story short, my rommie was John, a punker who at 13 had a horrible coke problem. As crazy as they come he listened to all kinds of music and after a weekend furlough with his dad he brought in a couple of tapes to enjoy.  The Dead Kennedy's "Bedtime for Democracy" and LZ IV. The moment I heard "Black Dog" I have not been the same since.  I went out on my next furlough and bought Physical Graffiti and LZ I and havent looked back.

Through the good times and the bad times in my life this band has been there for me.  A cache of wonderful memories blasting this band from one time to another and more still to come. 

On 11/29/2016 at 2:46 PM, Bozoso73 said:

I knew LZ from the time I was pretty young.  My mom was a hippie and listened to lots of late 60's and early 70's stuff.  Born in 1973 (my favourite live LZ year) I got great vibes from my parents and their music collection and was around for hearing "Fool In The Rain" on Casey Kasam's weekend show.  It wasnt until my 7th grade year I had made friends with a stoner aptly named Jimmy in a class where we did little but listen to Houses Of The Holy endlessly on a cassette player that you could plug many sets of headphones in.  I had a home ec class that same year and the desk I sat in had notes passed between girls the previous hour, I responded and a girl named Mona Lisa and I became great friends. One night in 1986 while on one of the endless phone chats I was describing my moms LP collection. As I got to LZ I she yelled "Oh put I Cant Quit You Baby on!!!". I did as was totally blown away!! Roberts cry of love at the beginning is a life changer for me but not the defining moment that set me on the course to obsessive. 

My mother and I had a very disgruntled relationship. The summer after 8th grade grad (1987) she decided I was a horrible kid and had me thrown in a hospital for "bad" kids. . 3 months in a kind of jail for kids with problems. Long story short, my rommie was John, a punker who at 13 had a horrible coke problem. As crazy as they come he listened to all kinds of music and after a weekend furlough with his dad he brought in a couple of tapes to enjoy.  The Dead Kennedy's "Bedtime for Democracy" and LZ IV. The moment I heard "Black Dog" I have not been the same since.  I went out on my next furlough and bought Physical Graffiti and LZ I and havent looked back.

Through the good times and the bad times in my life this band has been there for me.  A cache of wonderful memories blasting this band from one time to another and more still to come. 

So have you ever caught either Page, Plant or Jones in concert here in AZ? Welcome to the board also! :)

Edited by luvlz2

20 minutes ago, luvlz2 said:

So have you ever caught Page, Plant or Jones in concert here in AZ? Welcome to the board also! :)

Hi and thank you luvlz2:):)

I saw Jimmy on the Outrider tour Sept. 17 1988 at Mesa Amp. Jason was with JP on this tour and was lights out! GREAT SHOW!

Them Crooked Vultures played at the Paramount in Seattle Nov. 21 2009. I was front of the stage on the other side but 20 ft. from JPJ and took fantastic photos of the show. 

Jason played with JBLZE May 29 2015. Ended up front row for the second half of the show and once again took amazing photos. . If you havent seen this its a must:):)

As for Percy, 

June 11 1988. . my second show. Non Stop Go Tour ASU Activity Center

Aug. 7 1990 Vets Memorial Coliseum 

Oct. 19 1993 Mesa Amp. 

Jul. 15 2005. . first row seats at Dodge Theater  for the Strange Sensation. . 

I have every ticket stub and easily referenced the dates. . I wish my hot tub time machine wasnt on the fritz cause 1973 here I come:):)

What about you big guy. . seen any of the boys live?

Edited by Bozoso73

27 minutes ago, Bozoso73 said:

Hi and thank you luvlz2:):)

I saw Jimmy on the Outrider tour Sept. 17 1988 at Mesa Amp. Jason was with JP on this tour and was lights out! GREAT SHOW!

Them Crooked Vultures played at the Paramount in Seattle Nov. 21 2009. I was front of the stage on the other side but 20 ft. from JPJ and took fantastic photos of the show. 

Jason played with JBLZE May 29 2015. Ended up front row for the second half of the show and once again took amazing photos. . If you havent seen this its a must:):)

As for Percy, 

June 11 1988. . my second show. Non Stop Go Tour ASU Activity Center

Aug. 7 1990 Vets Memorial Coliseum 

Oct. 19 1993 Mesa Amp. 

Jul. 15 2005. . first row seats at Dodge Theater  for the Strange Sensation. . 

I have every ticket stub and easily referenced the dates. . I wish my hot tub time machine wasnt on the fritz cause 1973 here I come:):)

What about you big guy. . seen any of the boys live?

Not bad!! :D

Still kicking myself in the head for missing the Outrider concert at the Mesa Ampitheater, but I've caught Page every other time post-zep in Arizona including The Firm and Page/Plant. I've caught Page/Plant twice in AZ, once for Unledded and once for W.I.C. I also caught the Unledded tour in Las Vegas, so I have seen Jimmy Page in concert 4 times.

Caught Jones in concert twice in AZ, the first time for his collaboration with Diamanda Galas and got to meet him after the concert, he was a very nice man, very cool. And caught him here when he was touring for the Thunderthief album. Would have loved to have seen Them Crooked Vultures in concert.

My first time seeing Plant in concert was his first solo concert here in AZ, the shaken n stirred tour, that was incredible! I've missed him once in AZ. since then, I think it was the 1990 concert but my brain is foggy. That's cool you were at the Mesa Ampitheater for the Fate of Nations tour, that was a great concert! 

As far as Jason, first seen him in concert at the Mason Jar when he was touring with the Healing Sixes. That was a really cool concert, they did lots of Zep. and I got to meet him after the concert. I've caught him with Foreigner also and the JBLZE once as well.

13 minutes ago, luvlz2 said:

Not bad!! :D

Still kicking myself in the head for missing the Outrider concert at the Mesa Ampitheater, but I've caught Page every other time post-zep in Arizona including The Firm and Page/Plant. I've caught Page/Plant twice in AZ, once for Unledded and once for W.I.C. I also caught the Unledded tour in Las Vegas, so I have seen Jimmy Page in concert 4 times.

Caught Jones in concert twice in AZ, the first time for his collaboration with Diamanda Galas and got to meet him after the concert, he was a very nice man, very cool. And caught him here when he was touring for the Thunderthief album. Would have loved to have seen Them Crooked Vultures in concert.

My first time seeing Plant in concert was his first solo concert here in AZ, the shaken n stirred tour, that was incredible! I've missed him once in AZ. since then, I think it was the 1990 concert but my brain is foggy. That's cool you were at the Mesa Ampitheater for the Fate of Nations tour, that was a great concert! 

As far as Jason, first seen him in concert at the Mason Jar when he was touring with the Healing Sixes. That was a really cool concert, they did lots of Zep. and I got to meet him after the concert. I've caught him with Foreigner also and the JBLZE once as well.

Thats a great resume my friend:):)

I knew TCV werent playing here and I have friends in WA and said lets go!! Amazing place to see shows. . I was able to get up front w out any probs. . 

You and I are post LZ ol' concert dogs but Id give up every single show ive seen or played for even the 20 min Tampa 77 blowout!!  I Own every great bootleg and they dont even seem to grasp any of the real intensity of the show. . It must have been the thrill of a lifetime to see the boys. . even in 77 Tempe. . 

Edited by Bozoso73

• 2 weeks later...

My Dad played them quite a bit. But not really that. I tried not to copy him. But schoolfriends saying Led Zepp all the time. So instead i ended up copying them. Listening now takes me back if i want it to. Or i can move on, If i like. I was a fan as a boy. Now i am a Dad myself. And the music for me remains the same. Pun not intended.

• 11 months later...

I'm a Rolling Stones fan since 1978. Favorite album: Sticky Fingers. In 1982 I saw the Stones live. I was so excited for weeks before the show. But the Stones were awful.

Around 1981/82 I bought The Song Remains the Same on vinyl - because (and please don't slaughter me for that!) there was no Greatest Hits record and it was the only album with STH and WLL on it.
And even though seventies Rock music is my favorite Pop/Rock music genre and I like the music from that era very much, I never got much into Led Zeppelin music. Until ...

I watched It might get Loud on television in spring 2016. The next day I searched Led Zeppelin on youtube. The first video I watched was How many more times from the Danish televison show. I was blown away. Incredible. This massive energy from the song really got me. The third or forth song I klicked on YT was Since I've been loving you - and I was really hooked.

I would like to thank all members who post on "What show or live song are you listening to now?". That's such a great thread.
So, I'm listening my way through the LZ concerts. What a great discovery!

Many greetings from a town Led Zeppelin visited twice

Z

Edited by LedZed66

• 2 weeks later...

my friend shawn, freaking loved zeppelin. every single time i recommended a song to him, no matter who it was from, the beatles, radiohead, it didn't matter, 'cause he would always say he didn't like it. then i asked him what was his favorite band, he replied "led zeppelin". i knew that it had to be a special band if that was all he listened to, and indeed they were.

I know I’m if anyone reads this I’m a newbie, but besides the fact that I’ve only recently discovered Zeppelin, it was on complete accident. It was 2013 ( I was only 10) and I found my Grandmas old record player. A bit later, I found an album- Led Zeppelin II. But me being a bit dull in the head, didn’t read the album. It, surprisingly, was a Jimi Hendrix record (also how I discovered Hendrix). Then a bit later, I went to the YouTubes (once again, I apologize for my insolence) to look up some Zeppelin and very surprised to find out it wasn’t Hendrix. As soon as I heard Dazed and Confused, I was very impressed but it was when I listened to How Many More Times that I was completely hooked. Since then I’ve deticated my life to get every album. 

• 5 months later...
On 12/10/2017 at 2:11 AM, TheMadIrishman said:

I know I’m if anyone reads this I’m a newbie, but besides the fact that I’ve only recently discovered Zeppelin, it was on complete accident. It was 2013 ( I was only 10) and I found my Grandmas old record player. A bit later, I found an album- Led Zeppelin II. But me being a bit dull in the head, didn’t read the album. It, surprisingly, was a Jimi Hendrix record (also how I discovered Hendrix). Then a bit later, I went to the YouTubes (once again, I apologize for my insolence) to look up some Zeppelin and very surprised to find out it wasn’t Hendrix. As soon as I heard Dazed and Confused, I was very impressed but it was when I listened to How Many More Times that I was completely hooked. Since then I’ve deticated my life to get every album. 

nice to see another young zep fan! how old are you now? 15, i'm guessing?

• 2 weeks later...

I was 18 or 19 at the time when I finally bought some Zeppelin CDs. I was in the habit of purchasing about 10 CDs a month and there was so many bands I wanted to check out, getting Zeppelin was inevitable, just a matter of when. At that time the hard rock and metal market was thriving and you could go many places to pick up some rock CDs (not anymore). I already well knew Zeppelin's music before I bought their CDs. And like I said, there was so much selection that even buying 10 CDs was a hard choice. I would spend up to 2 hours in the CD section of certain department stores carefully considering what CDs I wanted.

• 2 weeks later...

The first Led Zeppelin song I heard was Daze and Confused. I knew this to be the foundation of Heavy Metal. Then I heard Kashmir a couple of days later. I was only 15 years old. I've been hooked on Zeppelin ever since. Best band ever to walk the Earth. That is a fact.

• 5 months later...

Back in September 1968... I haven't heard about Led Zep but The Yardbirds was very popular in Scandinavia. I lived in Stockholm at that time and in September 1968 I saw Led Zep live for the first time at Grona Lund. Warming up band was the Swedish Hep Stars which was the most popular band in Sweden at that time. Btw... at organ Hep Stars had Benny Andersson... more known from ABBA 10 years later.

Now 50 years later I have seen Led Zep live more than 12 times. A really good band. If not the best. The Rolling Stones and Pink Floyd is also on my TOP 3 list. 😀

Edited by vinylcollector

12 hours ago, vinylcollector said:

Back in September 1968... I haven't heard about Led Zep but The Yardbirds was very popular in Scandinavia. I lived in Stockholm at that time and in September 1968 I saw Led Zep live for the first time at Grona Lund. Warming up band was the Swedish Hep Stars which was the most popular band in Sweden at that time. Btw... at organ Hep Stars had Benny Andersson... more known from ABBA 10 years later.

Now 50 years later I have seen Led Zep live more than 12 times. A really good band. If not the best. The Rolling Stones and Pink Floyd is also on my TOP 3 list. 😀

So you might just be one of the first Zeppelin fans EVER.

Led Zeppelin II, early Sept 1971, I was in the 7th grade.  A new friend's older brother had it - that is how I first heard it.  Up to then I was listening to my older brother's albums -  the Beatles, the Stones, Hendrix, Cream, Creedence, CSNY Four Way Street, and the radio.  I must have heard WLL on the radio before,  but I will never forget the day I listened to the entire second album.  It sounded like nothing else I had ever heard.  Little did I know at the time they had already released III and were about to release IV.  Before that school year was over I had all 4 albums.  That means Houses was the first Zep album I got as soon as it came out.

• 2 weeks later...

May or June 1969, right before I graduated high school, we were riding around in a friend's 1961 Ford Galaxie smoking black hash. He popped in an 8-track tape & everybody was "WOW. Who the hell are these guys ! ! !" Told us it was the guitar player from the Yardbirds new band, called Led Zeppelin. Even their name was so fuckin' cool !

• 3 months later...
On ‎5‎/‎13‎/‎2008 at 4:13 PM, moffo said:

I've just been wondering, how everyone got into listening to the greatest band in the world and what was the first song you heard??

My story is, I was 14 and at my uncles and he was helping me out with a school project, he said to me "Stick that disc there in and put track 4 on" so being the good lad that i was, i did just that... about 5 minutes later i said to him "Is this that same song?" and there it was I was hooked from there on... I know it's their most popular tune, but to a 14yr old back in 1988 when everyone else was tripping to the stone roses and inspiral carpets, Track 4 on Led Zep IV got me... Stairway of course!!!!

Actually, what got me into Zep was The Ocean and the album Houses of the Holy. The First album I got was Led Zep 1 and I thought, wow, this is trash and pretty much only listened to good times bad times and Comm breakdown. But then I got Zep 2 and I loved it, whole Lotta Love was my jam. and then I got Runes and I loved When the Levee Breaks. Now Zep 1 is my 2nd favorite, Zep 2 is one of the worst, Zep 4 is overplayed, and I still don't have Physical Graffiti on CD. I am only 15, tho

• 2 years later...
On 3/20/2019 at 7:50 PM, Sultan of Swing said:

Actually, what got me into Zep was The Ocean and the album Houses of the Holy. The First album I got was Led Zep 1 and I thought, wow, this is trash and pretty much only listened to good times bad times and Comm breakdown. But then I got Zep 2 and I loved it, whole Lotta Love was my jam. and then I got Runes and I loved When the Levee Breaks. Now Zep 1 is my 2nd favorite, Zep 2 is one of the worst, Zep 4 is overplayed, and I still don't have Physical Graffiti on CD. I am only 15, tho

Well..... when u do ( re’ Physical Graffiti)

🤯BRACE YA SELF!!!