what is the best audio recording of the O2 show

Yes the best would be the pro-recorded multi-tracks of course.

Other than that, there are audience recordings, and to my knowledge the best one is called the 'Schoeps' recording. If anyone cares to debate that I would be willing.

Where you can find them - that's something you will have to work out for yourself.

Yes the best would be the pro-recorded multi-tracks of course.

Other than that, there are audience recordings, and to my knowledge the best one is called the 'Schoeps' recording. If anyone cares to debate that I would be willing.

Where you can find them - that's something you will have to work out for yourself.

The 'Schoeps is good but imo the 'Clay' Raw is better. Also the 5.1 multi source matrix audio on the 'Four Eyes' 4 camera DVD is awesome.

As far as I heard them there is the "Wendy" version which is even better than the "Schoeps".

What you need to do is to grab the 'Wendy' version and run it through nero and apply a 'light high cut' and 'light bass boost' to the recording. You will then have (IMO) the best available version.

There is far too much audience noise on those other recordings for my taste.

no trades

• 2 weeks later...

As of today I beleve the best version available is the Led Zeppelin - 2007 12-10 Four Eyes4 Camera Source Mix Plus 3 Audio Choices NTSC 16:9 Widescreen. Thats the Four Eyes version and for audio only for the slog to work I ripped it off the dvds onto cds as wave with no compression and a slight bump to the bass. In my opinion so far only Pagey can offer a better copy!

how does the "Schoeps" and "Wendy" recordings compare to this one: "5+4 At The O2 Stereo Mix?"

I too have This recording and I would rate it as good, a typical live performance/boot.

When will the official DVD be released?It's now nearly June? Well in my opinion not very soon, The ring rust was apparent for all to hear and nothing but perfection will ever be released officially.Zep were famous for pushing the bounderies and sometimes this blows up on you, but in todays climate a flub in public is a sign of mortality, and ageing rock stars are outside there comfort zone on that one.Great shame! Great show that will only ever be witness by a few because of vanity.

• 3 weeks later...
how does the "Schoeps" and "Wendy" recordings compare to this one: "5+4 At The O2 Stereo Mix?"

I don't have the 'Wendy' version but I do have the 'Schoeps' version and it's far and away the cleanest recording of the show. The '5+4 Mix' is an absolute sloppy mess and was completely unnecessary, imo. It's a muddled jumble of poop.

I also have the 'Trainspotter' version and I like it as well. But nothing compares to the 'Schoeps' recording. Except of course the SBD version... but I doubt as we'll see that one. :D

I have the third eye DVD, how much better is this four eye your talking about as far as the video? I havent been able to find that or the so called Katz eye version? I am pretty happy with third eye, for an audience video just to be able to see the show is awesome!

I have the third eye DVD, how much better is this four eye your talking about as far as the video? I havent been able to find that or the so called Katz eye version? I am pretty happy with third eye, for an audience video just to be able to see the show is awesome!

I have all 3:

-KatzEye is Third Eye video with audio re-synched, it may use another source, I can't remember off the top of my head.

-5+4 is Third Eye video as the main source with 2 other audience sources (Ian and Smagin) synched in throughout. It also uses the minute and half BBC coverage during Black Dog. Ok, that's the video part. Four the audio it uses 5 sources throughout as main (Front Left - Per remastered, Front Right - Clay mastered, Rear Left- Third Eye, Rear Right - JCE, and center - Wendy label release) and 4 additional audios as supplements.

• 4 weeks later...
I have all 3:

-KatzEye is Third Eye video with audio re-synched, it may use another source, I can't remember off the top of my head.

-5+4 is Third Eye video as the main source with 2 other audience sources (Ian and Smagin) synched in throughout. It also uses the minute and half BBC coverage during Black Dog. Ok, that's the video part. Four the audio it uses 5 sources throughout as main (Front Left - Per remastered, Front Right - Clay mastered, Rear Left- Third Eye, Rear Right - JCE, and center - Wendy label release) and 4 additional audios as supplements.

You guys have pretty much said it all but I would like to add something. I purchased a two CD set entitled "LISTEN TO THIS AHMET" on the Trainspotter label and in my opinion, sounds far better than the Third Eye Video DVD version. The reason is because the recording was done on a Sony D7 DAT Recorder with a Sony ECM-717 Stereo Microphone positioned 30 yards directly in front of Jason Bonham's drum kit.

You guys have pretty much said it all but I would like to add something. I purchased a two CD set entitled "LISTEN TO THIS AHMET" on the Trainspotter label and in my opinion, sounds far better than the Third Eye Video DVD version. The reason is because the recording was done on a Sony D7 DAT Recorder with a Sony ECM-717 Stereo Microphone positioned 30 yards directly in front of Jason Bonham's drum kit.

You bought this boot??

:blink:

You can have it for free... Near; somewhere in your virtual world.

Don't pay for bootlegs. Never.

B)

It's funny isn't it - some of Zep's gigs may survive only from a recording made on a cassette, ocasionally only mono, but here we are with a gazillion different versions of the O2: quality digital recordings, in stereo.

What a spoilt bunch of lucky bastards we are... :)

I think I have something like seven different versions to choose from, all of which are of a good enough quality to have been classed "best version" of a seventies gig.

To be completely truthful, there is little to choose from between some of them. It's just nit-picking & personal preference. For my money, or rather "for my totaly free download", the two I listen to are the Wendy version & the Jules McTrainspoter recording.

The Wendy one has a more "produced" sound, Jules' is warmer & less fatigueing to listen to. I pick which one to listen to depending on my mood.

YMMV

• 5 months later...

Got the most recent list, all thanks to Furtra (and DJ Davesnotear)

Heres the latest list of Audio and Video(Updated 12/11/08)...any additions greatly appreciated:

IMHO I would rate them as follows:

AUDIO:

1. Per Schoeps Mk41 "Remastered"

2. 5+4 At The O2 DTS Mix {{5 Source DTS Mix}}

3. 5+4 At The O2 Stereo Mix {{5 Source Stereo Mix}}

4. Clay AT 831 HRTF "Mastered" Version

5. Per Schoeps Mk41

6. Third Eye Audio Source(Marantz PDM660 & Neumann KM184's)

7. DTS 5.1 Surround Version(Matrix of 5+14+18)

8. 1 year aniversary 2 source mix(Matrix of 13+16)

9. Clay AT 831 HRTF "Raw" Version

10. JCE Cardoid SP-CMC-20 "We Did It"

11. Three Souce Mixdown(2 Channel Stereo Matrix of 5+14+18)

12. Falo(Matrix of 5+19)

13. Wendy label: "Legendary Reunion 2007"(unknown source)

14. Clay AT 831 HRTF EQ'd Version

15 Tarantura label: "For Your Life/Legendary Legend" (Trainspotter Source-EQ'd)

16. Trainspotter Sony ECM-717

17. Randy B Matrix of 18+19

18. Slowburn DPA 4061

19. Maia Sony ECM-719

20. Storm London-Beelzbub Label(Supposed Master Audience from First Row)

Can not rate the following as I havent heard them other than samples:

a. Beat Shot label: "The Verdict" (unknown source)

b. Per Schoeps Mk41+Clay Matrix(Remastered Clay version and the 'normal' / 'raw' Schoeps version.)

c. Genuine Masters DVD-A(Jules McTrainspotter source-re-mastered and the video is a photo montage)

So far have heard only samples of "b"...not enough to put on list yet but hoping the whole thing will be released here on Dime soon...here is a quote from the person who made this Matrix: eazy1979

"Guys, for my own pleasure, I've remastered 2 source's (SCHOEPS and CLAY), and made a matrix out of them

But please note (especially the tapers) this was just made for me, myself and I, not to make any benefit of it..."

VIDEO:

1. Four Eyes NTSC 16:9 {ALL SOURCES}Four Camera Source Mix Plus 3 Audio Choices - DD 5.1 And Stereo

2. "KATZEYE":Resynched Third Eye Video-(2) Disc Version,Reauthored with Banned Audio removed.

3. "Third Eye Dual Layer NTSC DVD"(LPCM audio was taped with a pair of Neumann KM184s using a Marantz PDM660)-Audio-Video "Synch Issues"(Note...Banned from Dime for containing Officialy released audio tracks)

4. "Per/IanA MIX Fixed"(Per Audio/IanA Video)

5. "IanA Version"

6. "Live from the 403"(Smagin Source)

7. "BBC News"

So far I beleive there are now 23 total Audio versions and 7 Video versions circulating...Id like to see a definitive list so anyone who has more versions to add to my list please do...

Hope my list doesn't offend anyone...I actually generated it in response to a request I was PM'd by someone who didnt have a lot of share ratio to spare and wanted an idea of what I thought of the Various Versions considering I went to the show...

I am not intending in any way with this list to put down any of the efforts of the tapers who took the time and effort and risk to their equipment to tape this show and share with everyone...

futura

Got the most recent list, all thanks to Furtra (and DJ Davesnotear)

Heres the latest list of Audio and Video(Updated 12/11/08)...any additions greatly appreciated:

IMHO I would rate them as follows:

AUDIO:

1. Per Schoeps Mk41 "Remastered"

2. 5+4 At The O2 DTS Mix {{5 Source DTS Mix}}

3. 5+4 At The O2 Stereo Mix {{5 Source Stereo Mix}}

4. Clay AT 831 HRTF "Mastered" Version

5. Per Schoeps Mk41

6. Third Eye Audio Source(Marantz PDM660 & Neumann KM184's)

7. DTS 5.1 Surround Version(Matrix of 5+14+18)

8. 1 year aniversary 2 source mix(Matrix of 13+16)

9. Clay AT 831 HRTF "Raw" Version

10. JCE Cardoid SP-CMC-20 "We Did It"

11. Three Souce Mixdown(2 Channel Stereo Matrix of 5+14+18)

12. Falo(Matrix of 5+19)

13. Wendy label: "Legendary Reunion 2007"(unknown source)

14. Clay AT 831 HRTF EQ'd Version

15 Tarantura label: "For Your Life/Legendary Legend" (Trainspotter Source-EQ'd)

16. Trainspotter Sony ECM-717

17. Randy B Matrix of 18+19

18. Slowburn DPA 4061

19. Maia Sony ECM-719

20. Storm London-Beelzbub Label(Supposed Master Audience from First Row)

Can not rate the following as I havent heard them other than samples:

a. Beat Shot label: "The Verdict" (unknown source)

b. Per Schoeps Mk41+Clay Matrix(Remastered Clay version and the 'normal' / 'raw' Schoeps version.)

c. Genuine Masters DVD-A(Jules McTrainspotter source-re-mastered and the video is a photo montage)

So far have heard only samples of "b"...not enough to put on list yet but hoping the whole thing will be released here on Dime soon...here is a quote from the person who made this Matrix: eazy1979

"Guys, for my own pleasure, I've remastered 2 source's (SCHOEPS and CLAY), and made a matrix out of them

But please note (especially the tapers) this was just made for me, myself and I, not to make any benefit of it..."

VIDEO:

1. Four Eyes NTSC 16:9 {ALL SOURCES}Four Camera Source Mix Plus 3 Audio Choices - DD 5.1 And Stereo

2. "KATZEYE":Resynched Third Eye Video-(2) Disc Version,Reauthored with Banned Audio removed.

3. "Third Eye Dual Layer NTSC DVD"(LPCM audio was taped with a pair of Neumann KM184s using a Marantz PDM660)-Audio-Video "Synch Issues"(Note...Banned from Dime for containing Officialy released audio tracks)

4. "Per/IanA MIX Fixed"(Per Audio/IanA Video)

5. "IanA Version"

6. "Live from the 403"(Smagin Source)

7. "BBC News"

So far I beleive there are now 23 total Audio versions and 7 Video versions circulating...Id like to see a definitive list so anyone who has more versions to add to my list please do...

Hope my list doesn't offend anyone...I actually generated it in response to a request I was PM'd by someone who didnt have a lot of share ratio to spare and wanted an idea of what I thought of the Various Versions considering I went to the show...

I am not intending in any way with this list to put down any of the efforts of the tapers who took the time and effort and risk to their equipment to tape this show and share with everyone...

futura

I have all of those, plus the Genuine Masters DVD-A (which Futura pm'd me about). As a single source, I agree that Per's is the best, but it may not appeal to everyone's tastes because it is boomy. The 1yr anniversary (of which this list came from) is very nicely put together. I agree with HUW, a lot of the times it comes down to what your personal tastes are. Fortunately for this show, there are enough different sources to meet almost everyone's needs until something official is hopefully released.

• 4 weeks later...
I have all 3:

People, stay with this post, Wendy and Trainspotter's sound quality is the best for a single source but the matrix 5+4 at the 02 is spectacular and hands down the best version.

As to where to find them I cannot tell you but here's a hint: or :blink:

• 2 weeks later...
but the matrix 5+4 at the 02 is spectacular and hands down the best version.

As to where to find them I cannot tell you but here's a hint: or :blink:

I'll second that. It's FAR better than the Wendy version, or any other version i've listened too. It's got great bass levels and top end is excellent too. And I've probably downloaded about seven different bootlegs.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived