Folk and Folk-Rock Music

I was just wondering if there are there any other folk music fans out there. I am from West Virginia so folk music is everywhere. I play the electric guitar mainly, but I also picked up the acoustic guitar, banjo, harmonica, and mandolin. When im not playing rock in a band, I play gigs doin solo folk rock stuff because there are so many places to get on a stage and play folk music here in the Appalachain Mountians. Robert Plant said "We are trying to communicate a fulfilled ideal...I am a reflection of what I sing. Sometimes I have to get serious because the things I've been through are serious...The way I see it, rock n' roll is folk music." Zep songs like The Battle of Evermore are cool because they are pretty much folk rock, but they are being played but the greatest "hard rock" band of all time.

There's some folk rock that I really enjoy. Like Roy Harper, he's incredible. I find his music to be just...mindblowing, although, he's more progressive folk. There's also the famous Fairport Convention with Sandy Denny. (I still need to listen to Unhalfbricking) and artists like Leonard Cohen (too damn depressing) and Nick Drake. I think more people should listen to Bryter Layter.

I love folk music but it's not necessarily of the more traditional Kingston Trio / Peter Seegar / Peter, Paul and Mary variety. While I appreciate some of that from a historical standpoint, a lot of it is just not my cup of tea. On the other hand I love the music of John Prine, Bob Dylan, the Grateful Dead, Iris Dement, Mike Cross, Joni Mitchell and many, many others that have been labeled "folk" music over the years. And, for those that haven't heard them, I very highly recommend the Mermaid Avenue albums by Wilco and Billy Bragg (with special guests such as bluesman Corey Harris and Natalie Merchant) where they took previously unrecorded Woody Guthrie lyrics and set them to music for the very first time. Also highly recommended is the documentary about the making of the recordings, Man In the Sand.

5155RXQHSNL._SL500_AA240_.jpgc1207220eca0d26d3d3d6010.L.jpg

51rdEpQej0L._SL500_AA240_.jpg

some of my favorites:

Bob Dylan

The Byrds

CSN(Y)

Neil Young (solo)

Simon and Garfunkel

Gordon Lightfoot

and some more "acoustic rock" artists:

America

Pure Prairie League

I'm not huge on America but love Pure Prairie League. Back in the day they were called "country rock", same for several of their peers from back then that are also among my favorites such as Commander Cody and His Lost Planet Airmen, Gram Parsons/Flying Burrito Brothers, New Riders of the Purple Sage, Goose Creek Symphony, Poco, etc.

...and speaking of The Byrds, this is a great clip from a recently issued DVD called Earl Scruggs: His Family and Friends that originally appeared as a TV special back in the late 70s:

Earl Scruggs & the Byrds "You Ain't Goin' Nowhere"

I always considered folk as mostly harmony with acoustic guitar, and very little else instrumentally. Most of the groups or instruments listed here are more bluegrass or easy listening, to me- but I like them all. An older British folk group I've been checking out is Pentangle. Most people here should be familiar with Burt Jansch, but there's good all around instrumentation and the woman singing is about the best I've heard.

Bob Dylan and Joan Baez mainly.

It may be worth noting that Dylan, Baez and Doc Watson also appear in that Earl Scruggs documentary I mentioned earlier. There are some more clips from it on YouTube in addition to the one I previously posted of Earl jamming with the Byrds.

I'm not huge on America but love Pure Prairie League. Back in the day they were called "country rock", same for several of their peers from back then that are also among my favorites such as Commander Cody and His Lost Planet Airmen, Gram Parsons/Flying Burrito Brothers, New Riders of the Purple Sage, Goose Creek Symphony, Poco, etc.

I had high hopes for Flying Burrito Brothers (mostly because of the Byrds connection) and was excited to hear 'Sin'... but I could never get into it... it was a little too "twangy" for me and felt it was more country then folk/country rock, like Pure Prairie League

I had high hopes for Flying Burrito Brothers (mostly because of the Byrds connection) and was excited to hear 'Sin'... but I could never get into it... it was a little too "twangy" for me and felt it was more country then folk/country rock, like Pure Prairie League

The Burritos were definitely more country than folk or rock.

I bet it will grow on you. It's one of those albums that become one of the great ones after listening to them for awhile. Listen to "In The Dark End Of The Street", the old soul classic which they turn into a soulful country rock ballad. The bass is outstanding in that one, what a stunning groove! Also check out "Lazy Days" from Burrito Deluxe, a rocking tune!

Given their acoustic tilt some may say that Led Zeppelin are in fact "LOUD" folk singers!

How about Donovan, arguably the greatest fiolk singer to come out of the UK?

Donovan is pretty cool. I used to listen to him a lot, but I haven't in a while.

But for me, Roy Harper is the greatest English folk singer for me.

A couple of favourites of mine are Townes Van Zandt, Bert Janch, Bob Dylan, Kaleidoscope, Van Morrison, Nick Drake, Leonard Cohen, Arlo Guthrie, Richie Havens, Jackson Browne and Carolyn Hester among others.

Every time I hear Donavan on the radio (which is very infrequently lately), I keep telling myself that I must get some of his stuff. Maybe I need to write his name on my hand or forehead to remind myself?

Given their acoustic tilt some may say that Led Zeppelin are in fact "LOUD" folk singers!

I'd say some Zeppelin definitely qualifies as "folk". I've read that during the III time period they were heavily into Joni Mitchell and CSN & Y. Of course those are just the tip of the iceberg when it comes to naming their folk influences.

A couple of favourites of mine are Townes Van Zandt, Bert Janch, Bob Dylan, Kaleidoscope, Van Morrison, Nick Drake, Leonard Cohen, Arlo Guthrie, Richie Havens, Jackson Browne and Carolyn Hester among others.

Funny you should mention them. I downloaded an album some two months ago and they back the guy (his name is Curt Newbury.) and it's a awesome acid folk rock album.

You can read about it here.

I can understand if you don't download, but I highly recommend the album. The guy talks about where you can order the music.

Funny you should mention them. I downloaded an album some two months ago and they back the guy (his name is Curt Newbury.) and it's a awesome acid folk rock album.

You can read about it here.

I can understand if you don't download, but I highly recommend the album. The guy talks about where you can order the music.

Thanks for the heads up. I will check it out. I remember the cover art from one of your earlier posts in either "latest purchase" or "what are you listening to"-threads.

I've never heard of Kaleidoscope, but the guitar player from that band, David Lindley, will be playing with Hot Tuna when I see them in August. Not sure if he plays solo, has a band, or if he will just be joining Jorma and Jack. The setlists they usually do are very flexible for guest musicians to join in.

Archived