Global Warming Scientific Consensus: Fact or Fiction.

Cicero

Tying up Global Warming to enviromental issues that we definately have contributed to. Doing so makes me feel that there is some sort of ajenda that will not necessarily lead to positive solutions that are sustainable. It smells of fear monguering to me. I can think of plenty of reasons to do the right thing without having politicians trying to sell me a bag of goods. I don't believe that the money will go into the right places once they get they're hands on it

I understand what you're saying, but I just don't see it myself. I can't see how there is an agenda being pushed with regards to Global Warming and climate change, seeing as though there is so little financial reward in it at the moment.

I think both the "global warming" and the "we will run out of oil" issues are environmentalist dogma and scams. It's good to come up with new energy alternatives but don't turn the whole world around or upside-down doing it. That's only going to hurt your credability.

Long-term, governments are economically and politically better off to become completely self-reliant in terms of energy. They will not be tied to global fluctuations and the problems which go along with that - oil shortages, price hikes and eventually armed conflicts. Even if oil isn't going to be in shortage, hasn't it always been a maxim of economics that it is better to produce something domestically than import?

While not every country can produce it's own energy through oil, most will be able to power themselves completely via alternative sources, if only the money and time were spent to develop them.

Think about it - what will be the cost to a nation like the USA if OPEC oil doubles it's price? Compare that to the cost of developing a viable alternative....and imagine if another $3 trillion war needs to be fought in the next decade to secure oil for the US...

Bullshit. There is wayyyy more oil than anyone will admit.

If the general public actually knew how much oil was available, they would never stand for the high prices. Say something is limited, and people will believe it's valuable.

There are oceans of oil under the surface, all over the world.

I am inclined to believe that...

Take Mexico for example, there are current reports that Mexico's crude oil reserves are drying up, and whereas it is true that Mexican oil fields such as Cantarell in the Gulf of Mexico, and Bellota are slowing down and their output is dropping off, they have discovered another oil field in the Gulf of Mexico with a larger reserve than Cantarell, with an estimated 10bn barrells or more...So there are other sources for Mexico to extract its oil, its just these oil fields have not been developed yet, whereas the established ones are running dry.

Bullshit. There is wayyyy more oil than anyone will admit.

If the general public actually knew how much oil was available, they would never stand for the high prices. Say something is limited, and people will believe it's valuable.

There are oceans of oil under the surface, all over the world.

Who is perpetrating this conspiracy? Governments or corporations? If it's the corporations then this is another reason for governments to get off oil.

Is anybody stopping the development of practical solutions except maybe the environmentalist. They've gotten in the way of developing nuclear energy and drilling for our own oil. There was a guy on TV tonight talking about wind energy. He talked about how the bird lovers may object to his wind-mills for fear the birds would be killed by them. I don't know how serious he was.

Yeah but those people can't stop a government doing what they want to do - if the govt truly wanted to build these things, they would.

I don't think the globe warming up two degrees over 100 years is gonna cause anyone any major issues. In another 20 centuries maybe. But my guess is it's all cyclical and the Earth will heat up and cool down the same as it has for millions of years and nothing we drive, spray or burn will affect that in the long term.

If anything Wars will end the world way faster.

thank you for clarifying. i did originally read it as if you had a complete disregard for the value of an entire race of people. you could then understand my displeased response, yes? again, thanks for explaining...you have now restored my faith in people today. :)

Well if you're serious ( :D) then no problem at all. My intention was to equate the two issues. Gorillas have been killed (poached) by humans in Africa who cite starvation or poverty as the reason.

I know human suffering is awful and all that but I just feel that I would bemoan the total extinction of the last several hundred or so mountain gorillas left rather than starving Africans. Sad, but that's the way I look at it.

I don't think the globe warming up two degrees over 100 years is gonna cause anyone any major issues.

No, a 2 to 3 degree increase in global temperature will not directly impact on humans...

BUT

2 to 3 degree increase in temperature will cause polar ice caps to melt faster which will rise sea levels and lead to increased flooding, it will play havoc with weather systems meanings storms can become more frequent, more damaging, but also result in an opposite effect whereby rainfalls drop off and agricultural areas start to become arid and water shortages...which of course will affect food production which will force the price of food up, restricting how much people spend in the economy resulting in economic downturn... Some plant and animal life can only exist within a very narrow temperature range, if the temperature rises, these micro-organisms will die off, which are the food source for other animals or insects. if their food source dies off, then there's an excellent chance that they themselves will become endangered, thereby affecting the whole food-chain...which of course will effect us...

So you know, the common misconception that people have is that Global Warming and climate change means that it's just gonna be a little bit warmer in winter...

But our environment, like our economies, are finely balanced, and a temperature increase of only a few degrees is enough to set off a chain reaction of events that could have disasterous consequences for us.

The Ice caps have partially melted, then the world has frozen over, it has happened many times in the Earth's history and will again.

The CO2 levels have reached 10 times the current level and will again. Glaciers have carved out valleys on Earth, they will again. Animals will become extinct, it happened long before we had cars and factories on Earth.

Who cares about Global Warming? We have much larger issues that will force us to stop using fossil fuels.

This subject is redundant, why do we need yet another thread about it.

Glaciers have carved out valleys on Earth, they will again.

And still none are capable of explaining why the glaciers that formed Yosemite melted away?

C'mon, tell me now!

B)

No, a 2 to 3 degree increase in global temperature will not directly impact on humans...

BUT

2 to 3 degree increase in temperature will cause polar ice caps to melt faster which will rise sea levels and lead to increased flooding, it will play havoc with weather systems meanings storms can become more frequent, more damaging, but also result in an opposite effect whereby rainfalls drop off and agricultural areas start to become arid and water shortages...which of course will affect food production which will force the price of food up, restricting how much people spend in the economy resulting in economic downturn... Some plant and animal life can only exist within a very narrow temperature range, if the temperature rises, these micro-organisms will die off, which are the food source for other animals or insects. if their food source dies off, then there's an excellent chance that they themselves will become endangered, thereby affecting the whole food-chain...which of course will effect us...

So you know, the common misconception that people have is that Global Warming and climate change means that it's just gonna be a little bit warmer in winter...

But our environment, like our economies, are finely balanced, and a temperature increase of only a few degrees is enough to set off a chain reaction of events that could have disasterous consequences for us.

This is a reading into the future viewpoint. Your forgetting the word "cyclical," meaning in this instance it will go up and down up and down. Looking at just the next 100-200 years wont give anyone any data which can be viewed as "cyclical." Think more to the tune of 1000 years to think the world is gonna come to an end because of a few degrees and I believe my point will then be validated. If it gets too warm I will move somewhere new as will everyone else. Humans have a very keen sense for adapting and surely wont stick their head in an oven because of alarmist bull shit. Not saying you, just wonder how<sp> many they have brainwashed with this tripe.

Relevant information.

Question: How Long Will Life Survive on Earth?

Answer: It feels like the Earth is forever. But we know it formed around 4.5 billion years ago, and it will last another 7.5 billion years or so, when the Sun becomes a red giant, and probably destroying the Earth.

But our climate will become unlivable long before that. According to Peter Ward and Robert Brownlee, in their book, The Life and Death of Planet Earth, things are going to heat up much, much earlier.

That's because the energy output coming the Sun is gradually increasing. Not enough to change the climate in our lifetimes, or even millions of years. But in the span of hundreds of millions of years, things are going to heat up.

A model developed by researchers at Pennsylvania State University calculated that the energy coming from the Sun will heat up the planet so much that the oceans will evaporate within a billion years or so.

But this is just the end of a series of terrible things that will happen to the planet as the Sun's energy output increases.

As the climate becomes warmer, the cycle of silicate rock weather speeds up, removing carbon dioxide from the atmosphere and sequestering it as calcium carbonate in the oceans. Without carbon dioxide, plants won't be able to survive, and everything relying on them dies too.

According to their calculations, Earth has been habitable for 4.5 billion years, and only has half a billion years left.

Courtesy Universe Today/Nice article...

http://www.universetoday.com/2008/04/22/ho...rvive-on-earth/

BUT

e9108e14.jpg

animated-graphics121.gif

e9108e14.jpg

animated-graphics121.gif

What should happen is that people who don't believe in global warming and climate change, you know, the ones who are being the fucking dipshit pains in the arse about it, should be made to sign their name on a form, and when global warming hits and everything is fucked, the people who signed the form will be paraded through the streets as the ones responsible for doing nothing

Well if you're serious ( :D) then no problem at all. My intention was to equate the two issues. Gorillas have been killed (poached) by humans in Africa who cite starvation or poverty as the reason.

I know human suffering is awful and all that but I just feel that I would bemoan the total extinction of the last several hundred or so mountain gorillas left rather than starving Africans. Sad, but that's the way I look at it.

yes, i was serious. :) and yes, the dying off (killing off) of an entires species of any animal is incredibly sad and disturbing.

What should happen is that people who don't believe in global warming and climate change, you know, the ones who are being the fucking dipshit pains in the arse about it, should be made to sign their name on a form, and when global warming hits and everything is fucked, the people who signed the form will be paraded through the streets as the ones responsible for doing nothing

3a2ef554.jpg

Thats fine, do the people who don't believe in global warming, get cheaper gas prices, and cheaper food prices. Because even if it's only a penny, sign me up.

Thats fine, do the people who don't believe in global warming, get cheaper gas prices, and cheaper food prices. Because even if it's only a penny, sign me up.

No the people who don't believe in global warming will unfortunately have to suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous denial

:rolleyes:

No the people who don't believe in global warming will unfortunately have to suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous denial

Why thats not fair, because if 50 years, this theory turns out to be complete bullshit, i should deserve something in return.

Wait, i do get somthing in return, having a less stressfull life because i don't call fire everytime i see the temp raise above 95deg,

Why thats not fair, because if 50 years, this theory turns out to be complete bullshit, i should deserve something in return.

It's absolutely fair.

If in 50 years the planet is completely fucked, I'm certainly not gonna be blamed for it by the younger generation because we didn't do anything...

If people are gonna be so righteous about denying it, then let them put their money where their mouth is, let's see whether or not they'll have the balls to own up to their denial, when it comes to the crunch.

My own belief is that the naysayers will be simpering along with the best of them, crying "we didn't know, we didn't know" when they were only too keen to mouth off about it 50 years earlier...

It's absolutely fair.

If in 50 years the planet is completely fucked, I'm certainly not gonna be blamed for it by the younger generation because we didn't do anything...

If people are gonna be so righteous about denying it, then let them put their money where their mouth is, let's see whether or not they'll have the balls to own up to their denial, when it comes to the crunch.

My own belief is that the naysayers will be simpering along with the best of them, crying "we didn't know, we didn't know" when they were only too keen to mouth off about it 50 years earlier...

But thats my question, if global warming is bullshit in 50 years, Would you be willing to walk around with a shirt saying

"I cried about global warming for fifty years, and all that happen was an shorten life span, becuase of all the stress, and this lousy T-Shirt. While my friends lived happy lives and are retried, unlike me, I spent all my money on green shit, and I do fries Mon thru Fri."

But thats my question, if global warming is bullshit in 50 years, Would you be willing to walk around with a shirt saying

"I cried about global warming for fifty years, and all that happen was an shorten life span, becuase of all the stress, and this lousy T-Shirt. While my friends lived happy lives and are retried, unlike me, I spent all my money on green shit, and I do fries Mon thru Fri."

Nice counterpoint. I wonder that myself. ;)

Archived