Robert Plant - Pre-Zep History

I found out recently that Hebbstweedle was Robert's pre-zep band and i wanted to look them up but i can't find anything, so if anyone knows anything or has photos or ANYTHING please help me........also i would like to know if they released any albums or singles.

Thanks in advance!

The name of the band wasn't Hobbstweedle, let alone Hebbstweedle, but Obbstweedle - as I found out a long time ago when a friend admonished me for using the H. :D Many books have this wrong, but Robert has corrected it in interviews.

I don't think Obbstweedle ever made any recordings, and the few recordings he made before Led Zeppelin are with other bands, as follows:

Listen, 'You Better Run'/'Everybody's Gonna Say' (October 1966)

RP, 'Our Song'/'Laughin', Cryin', Laughin'' (March 1967)

RP, 'Long Time Coming'/'I've Got a Secret' (September 1967)

Robert also recorded a song with Alexis Korner, the main figure on the early British blues scene, in 1968.

The Band of Joy, featuring Bonzo, also made some recordings but they weren't released.

Edited by Otto Masson

The name of the band wasn't Hobbstweedle, let alone Hebbstweedle, but Obbstweedle - as I found out a long time ago when a friend admonished me for using the H. :D

Not to admonish you again ( ;) ), but I believe the band's name was spelled Obstweedle or Obs'Tweedle. They were originally known as The Answer.

The name of the band wasn't Hobbstweedle, let alone Hebbstweedle, but Obbstweedle - as I found out a long time ago when a friend admonished me for using the H. :D Many books have this wrong, but Robert has corrected it in interviews.

I don't think Obbstweedle ever made any recordings, and the few recordings he made before Led Zeppelin are with other bands, as follows:

Listen, 'You Better Run'/'Everybody's Gonna Say' (October 1966)

RP, 'Our Song'/'Laughin', Cryin', Laughin'' (March 1967)

RP, 'Long Time Coming'/'I've Got a Secret' (September 1967)

Robert also recorded a song with Alexis Korner, the main figure on the early British blues scene, in 1968.

The Band of Joy, featuring Bonzo, also made some recordings but they weren't released.

Cheers dude and that was the way it was spelt when i read the LZ interview after the 02 show in Q so......they got it wrong....thanks again!

Not to admonish you again ( ;) ), but I believe the band's name was spelled Obstweedle or Obs'Tweedle. They were originally known as The Answer.

Scott, there is no apostrophe, at least not according to Robert when he corrected a journalist during an interview in Toronto on July 4th 1998. Where did you see "originally known as The Answer" ? I don't recall hearing that before.

Scott, there is no apostrophe, at least not according to Robert when he corrected a journalist during an interview in Toronto on July 4th 1998. Where did you see "originally known as The Answer" ? I don't recall hearing that before.

Steve,

The apostrophe comes from this newspaper ad from June 1968: http://www.marmalade-skies.co.uk/mothersjun68.jpg

And the part about the band originally being called The Answer comes this Brumbeat website: http://www.brumbeat.net/alexspie.htm

Steve,

The apostrophe comes from this newspaper ad from June 1968: http://www.marmalade-skies.co.uk/mothersjun68.jpg

And the part about the band originally being called The Answer comes this Brumbeat website: http://www.brumbeat.net/alexspie.htm

Nice links B)

I went to the Brum Beat show last year at the reopened town hall in Birmingham and it was an excellent night. :D

That Brumbeat link provides a few juicy tidbits:

The Senators unknowingly made rock music history in 1964 when they recorded a song called "She's A Mod" at Hollick & Taylor Studios in Birmingham. This was the first ever recording featuring a 16 year old drummer called John Bonham - long before he became part of Led Zeppelin - one of the most successful rock bands of all time!

And one of the earliest photos of John Bonham that I've ever seen:

senators.jpg