Robert Plant - Pre-Zep History

Missed this for some reason..RP was on a mission.. "15 Nov 1967 : Robert Plant, a nineteen year old Wolverhampton pop-singer visits the office of the Charge d'Affaires of the Republic of China in Portland Place, London, to hand in a letter expressing his interest in the cultural revolution, currently taking place in that country, and offering his services and that of the Band of Joy to the Republic. In his letter he said: "We are prepared to play for a period of time, free of charge, as we feel very strongly about a united world."

I think Rick Garson was already in the queue. :hysterical:

Missed this for some reason..RP was on a mission.. "15 Nov 1967 : Robert Plant, a nineteen year old Wolverhampton pop-singer visits the office of the Charge d'Affaires of the Republic of China in Portland Place, London, to hand in a letter expressing his interest in the cultural revolution, currently taking place in that country, and offering his services and that of the Band of Joy to the Republic. In his letter he said: "We are prepared to play for a period of time, free of charge, as we feel very strongly about a united world."

I don't doubt that he went to London, but that photo doesn't look right. Was it included with the article - is there a photo credit?

Edited by thozil

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 5 months later...

I am one of those involved in seeking to create a new Ritz Community Arts Centre and Pop History Museum on the site of the old Ritz Dance and Social Club (frequently referred to as the Ritz Ballroom) in York Road, Kings Heath, Birmingham, 14.

We are trying to collect together as many dates as possible for all the great arists that played there including Robert Plant.

We understand he played there with Listen in 1966 on 4 March, 28 May and 20 July and may have played there with other groups on other dates.

You can find more about us at http://www.kingsheathwalkoffame.org.uk

Please can you let us have any information and evidence you may have of Robert performing at the Ritz Dance and Social Club.

• 8 months later...

Sorry to hear the report of the death of Bill Bonham..he has been mentioned on this topic in the past but for those who might not know him have a look here.

http://en.citizendium.org/wiki/Bill_Bonham

Blocoboy, you may know for certain but I thought I'd read that Bill Bonham himself, among others, had dismissed the persistent claims that he was of any relation to John Bonham.

• 10 months later...

Marquee ad for Feb 68 with Robert Plant playing on the 8th and the 23rd. John Bonham may have been with the band at this point so the 23rd date is when he might have met Tim Rose for the first time leading to his future gig in July (pure speculation).

RPlantMarquee67.jpg

• 3 months later...
  • 11 months later...
  • Administrators
On 10/26/2012 at 11:09 AM, SteveAJones said:

There's also this email allegedly from John Hill (Summer 2009):

Hi, my name is John Hill.

You may or may not know that the very last line up of the Band of Joy consisted of Johnny Bonham, Mick Strode, Rob Plant, and myself. We did a tour round Scotland and the north in 1968. This was for the infamous Duncan McKinnon "Drunken Duncan", a superb man with a wonderful warm heart. It was right after this that Robert went to London and whilst stopping with Alexis Korner he was put in touch with Jimmy Page. The rest as you know is history.

This didn't help me and my best mate Bonzo at the time as we were about to rehearse a new line-up consisting of John, myself, Reggie and Chrissy Jones and a keyboard player that John found from a Liverpool band - I think they were known as the Peeps ?. I went on to join a band called the Wellington Kitch Jump Band with Chris Brown on hammond. Chris is also ex Band of Joy from the more well known line-up. Anyway, Bonzo finally got the message after several telegrams and wisely got his ass down to London.

Oh yes - I am still playing in a band called the Notorious Brothers. Check it out sometime - maybe the Monday of the fill your head with rock festy.

All the best and keep on rockin - John

---------------

Note: Apparently John Hill attended school with John Bonham...supposedly Hill was a bassist in a band called Uncle Joseph when Robert and John co-opted Hill to complete a tour of Scotland for the infamous promoter Duncan McKinnon.

This might be new?

Robert Plant and his Band of Joy, ad for Oct. 7, 1967, Kirkconnel Miners' Institute.
"First time in Scotland"

1967-10-7-band-of-joy-scotland.jpg

19 hours ago, sam_webmaster said:

This might be new?

Robert Plant and his Band of Joy, ad for Oct. 7, 1967, Kirkconnel Miners' Institute.
"First time in Scotland"

1967-10-7-band-of-joy-scotland.jpg

:hurrah:

Yes it is, Sam! This also coincides perfectly with previously confirmed dates in Scotland. As a bonus, I can now rule out Band of Joy billed with The Growing Concern at Sedgeley Parish Hall in England on this same date. That gig was advertised in Wolverhampton Express & Star the day prior but it was suspected it wasn't Robert Plant's Band of Joy. 

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...
On 5/17/2018 at 10:00 PM, SteveAJones said:

😲

...the same band JPJ is rumored to have jammed with...

I've heard that JPJ was a member for a short time. Mick Fleetwood mentioned seeing Herbie Goins with JPJ in his first book. 

herbie-goins-and-the-night-timers-us-rock-musician-about-1965-BWW0D0.jpg

Edited by thozil

On 5/18/2018 at 3:00 AM, SteveAJones said:

😲

...the same band JPJ is rumored to have jammed with...

Isn't this significant? Iirc further back on this thread the latest BoJ date with Plant in the band was something like 16th/19th March 1968. Now this is the 30th. Or did they carry on using his name even after he'd left to go work with Alexis Korner?

Edit: it's also the same venue Zeppelin played on 26th October 1968. Despite the name & address, Ewell College was actually sited closer to Epsom than Ewell.