Robert Plant - Pre-Zep History

On 2/24/2010 at 9:04 PM, Blocoboy said:

Just checked the date of the article..12th September 1968..it may be worth considering that the article might not have been intended to be published on that date and was to be published prior to the USA trip..it's just a bit of space filler about a little known singer in a local newspaper...I think the chart at the side of the article is a September 1968 chart (thats one for the experts) however on my next visit to the Wolvo archives I will double check and be prepared to eat humble pie

The Top 20 chart dates from the week 11-17 September 1968 according to the information at https://www.officialcharts.com/charts/singles-chart/19680911/7501/

Also, in an interview Page gave to Chris Welch for Melody Maker , the article being dated 12 October 1968 ,  he says that LZ were due to go to the US in early November of '68 so perhaps the first US tour dates weren't firmed up at the time.

On 11/26/2009 at 4:23 AM, SteveAJones said:

Unresolved date for blocoboy:

My notes show that according to a recollection in the Dec 1994 issue of 'The Lemon Tree' fanzine, Robert took the train in from London and hurriedly dashed over to The Factory in Birmingham where John Bonham was set to perform with Tim Rose to ask him if he's interested in joining The New Yardbirds. If this date can be confirmed, it

may well establish exactly when he had gone to Jimmy's houseboat in Pangbourne. In 1988 interview with Chris Tetley, Robert said he grabbed a beat up old suitcase and went to Pangbourne about two weeks after their first meeting, staying the night before returning to Birmingham the next day. We've establish Page went to see Bonham perform on 7/31/68 so it must be sometime in July 1968, but the Lemon Tree fanzine reports it was Aug 4, 1968.

...mikezep61 previously inquired on this some time ago....

Although I can't find any information on Time Rose performing at The Factory in Birmingham, just an unconfirmed appearance at Birmingham Mothers with no mention of a date, there are two dates referenced for Bonham playing with Chris Farlowe and The Thunderbirds at The Factory on 10 & again on 17 August 1968 along with a further reference to say Bonham would continue to play with them until late August. https://garagehangover.com/chris-farlowe-thunderbirds-gigs-1963-1969/

Unfortunately none of this helps to pin-point a date for Plant's return trip from Pangbourne.

I love reading and learning about young Robert Anthony Plants early years, the thought that Robert would’ve not become the singer he is without his support of the other 3 might be misleading. He had that voice and was fortunate to have landed with Page, Jones, and certainly John Henry. 

This along with Striders concert memories and SAJ threads on Mysteries are my absolute favorites and what gave me the confidence to join this fantastic forum with all of the wonderful people who have made this platform what it is. To all of you guys thanks for making this community so great. 

On 4/1/2024 at 7:00 AM, Ledbomb333 said:

Although I can't find any information on Time Rose performing at The Factory in Birmingham, just an unconfirmed appearance at Birmingham Mothers with no mention of a date, there are two dates referenced for Bonham playing with Chris Farlowe and The Thunderbirds at The Factory on 10 & again on 17 August 1968 along with a further reference to say Bonham would continue to play with them until late August. https://garagehangover.com/chris-farlowe-thunderbirds-gigs-1963-1969/

Unfortunately none of this helps to pin-point a date for Plant's return trip from Pangbourne.

Great post nonetheless.

On 4/3/2024 at 5:53 PM, Plant77 said:

I love reading and learning about young Robert Anthony Plants early years, the thought that Robert would’ve not become the singer he is without his support of the other 3 might be misleading. He had that voice and was fortunate to have landed with Page, Jones, and certainly John Henry. 

This along with Striders concert memories and SAJ threads on Mysteries are my absolute favorites and what gave me the confidence to join this fantastic forum with all of the wonderful people who have made this platform what it is. To all of you guys thanks for making this community so great. 

The Mysteries thread is a real grab bag -- it covered a lot of ground and every now and then struck gold.

On 4/5/2024 at 3:43 AM, SteveAJones said:

Great post nonetheless.

The Mysteries thread is a real grab bag -- it covered a lot of ground and every now and then struck gold.

It’s gold Jerry!