Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to Led Zeppelin Official Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Jimmy's A Legend

Robert Plant - Pre-Zep History

567 posts in this topic

I found out recently that Hebbstweedle was Robert's pre-zep band and i wanted to look them up but i can't find anything, so if anyone knows anything or has photos or ANYTHING please help me........also i would like to know if they released any albums or singles.

Thanks in advance!

The name of the band wasn't Hobbstweedle, let alone Hebbstweedle, but Obbstweedle - as I found out a long time ago when a friend admonished me for using the H. :D Many books have this wrong, but Robert has corrected it in interviews.

I don't think Obbstweedle ever made any recordings, and the few recordings he made before Led Zeppelin are with other bands, as follows:

Listen, 'You Better Run'/'Everybody's Gonna Say' (October 1966)

RP, 'Our Song'/'Laughin', Cryin', Laughin'' (March 1967)

RP, 'Long Time Coming'/'I've Got a Secret' (September 1967)

Robert also recorded a song with Alexis Korner, the main figure on the early British blues scene, in 1968.

The Band of Joy, featuring Bonzo, also made some recordings but they weren't released.

Edited by Otto Masson

Robert also recorded a song with Alexis Korner, the main figure on the early British blues scene, in 1968.

Robert recorded two songs with Korner. "Steal Away" and "Operator". :)

Robert recorded two songs with Korner. "Steal Away" and "Operator". :)

Thanks Rock, I didn't know about 'Steal Away'. :beer:

Have you heard these songs?

I have them on a bootleg, they're both acoustic tunes. Also, "Operator" is on "66 to Timbuktu" as well.

:beer:

I've heard "Steal Away" on Kornerstoned Alexis Korner's Anthology.

Edited by Sunray782

I've heard "Steal Away" on Kornerstoned Alexis Korner's Anthology.

I didn't know that was legitimately released! This is quite the educational thread, eh? :D

Ah, I see. I never got 66 to Timbuktu. I'd love to hear these old tracks. By the way, is that a good Korner compilation, Sunray?

Ah, I see. I never got 66 to Timbuktu. I'd love to hear these old tracks. By the way, is that a good Korner compilation, Sunray?

I only bought the one song :ph34r: !

Though, I'm sure it's fantastic!

Ah, I see. I never got 66 to Timbuktu. I'd love to hear these old tracks.

You'll also get "Hey Joe" and "For What It's Worth" from the Band Of Joy. You really should get that set!

I have Alexis Korner "Musically Rich...and Famous" which has both tracks he did with Robert, as well as other recordings made with well known musicians at the time. Steal Away's a great song.

The name of the band wasn't Hobbstweedle, let alone Hebbstweedle, but Obbstweedle - as I found out a long time ago when a friend admonished me for using the H. :D

Not to admonish you again ( ;) ), but I believe the band's name was spelled Obstweedle or Obs'Tweedle. They were originally known as The Answer.

Not to admonish you again ( ;) ), but I believe the band's name was spelled Obstweedle or Obs'Tweedle. They were originally known as The Answer.

I'll look into that Swan, thanks.

here you go, check it out:

steal away

The name of the band wasn't Hobbstweedle, let alone Hebbstweedle, but Obbstweedle - as I found out a long time ago when a friend admonished me for using the H. :D Many books have this wrong, but Robert has corrected it in interviews.

I don't think Obbstweedle ever made any recordings, and the few recordings he made before Led Zeppelin are with other bands, as follows:

Listen, 'You Better Run'/'Everybody's Gonna Say' (October 1966)

RP, 'Our Song'/'Laughin', Cryin', Laughin'' (March 1967)

RP, 'Long Time Coming'/'I've Got a Secret' (September 1967)

The Band of Joy, featuring Bonzo, also made some recordings but they weren't released.

Cheers dude and that was the way it was spelt when i read the LZ interview after the 02 show in Q so......they got it wrong....thanks again!

Cheers dude and that was the way it was spelt when i read the LZ interview after the 02 show in Q so......they got it wrong....thanks again!

You're welcome. :beer:

Scott, there is no apostrophe, at least not according to Robert when he corrected a journalist during an interview in Toronto on July 4th 1998. Where did you see "originally known as The Answer" ? I don't recall hearing that before.

Scott, there is no apostrophe, at least not according to Robert when he corrected a journalist during an interview in Toronto on July 4th 1998. Where did you see "originally known as The Answer" ? I don't recall hearing that before.

Steve,

The apostrophe comes from this newspaper ad from June 1968: http://www.marmalade-skies.co.uk/mothersjun68.jpg

And the part about the band originally being called The Answer comes this Brumbeat website: http://www.brumbeat.net/alexspie.htm

Steve,

The apostrophe comes from this newspaper ad from June 1968: http://www.marmalade-skies.co.uk/mothersjun68.jpg

And the part about the band originally being called The Answer comes this Brumbeat website: http://www.brumbeat.net/alexspie.htm

Nice links B)

I went to the Brum Beat show last year at the reopened town hall in Birmingham and it was an excellent night. :D

That Brumbeat link provides a few juicy tidbits:

The Senators unknowingly made rock music history in 1964 when they recorded a song called "She's A Mod" at Hollick & Taylor Studios in Birmingham. This was the first ever recording featuring a 16 year old drummer called John Bonham - long before he became part of Led Zeppelin - one of the most successful rock bands of all time!

And one of the earliest photos of John Bonham that I've ever seen:

senators.jpg

That Brumbeat link provides a few juicy tidbits:

And one of the earliest photos of John Bonham that I've ever seen:

senators.jpg

Such a neat clean looking young man there. B)

While I have no doubt that John Bonham was a member of The Senators in 1964, the fact that "She's A Mod" was released in February 1964 (when Bonzo was still 15 years old) makes me question the legitimacy of that claim.