Robert Plant - Pre-Zep History

For your consideration..I don't think I've put these on here before-

Going over what Bill told me, he states that Obs-Tweedle finally folded after a gig at the Woolpack. Robert turned up to offer Bill the keyboard position with Terry Reid, as a gesture of goodwill after leaving Obs-Tweedle. Terry had previously asked Robert if he knew any keyboard players, he was auditioning for his tour and debut recording.

Meg

Thanks Chris, so John also played in Uncle Joe, interesting. And a report Tim Rose's bass player was John Hill.

Meg

Meg,

The first time I read this I thought the same thing. But when I looked closer, it appears that Bonzo intended to play with "Uncle Joseph" AFTER he concluded his tour with Tim Rose. Needless to say, those intentions changed after Page saw Bonzo play with Rose at the Country Club on 7/31/68 and subsequently convinced him to join the band.

Meg,

The first time I read this I thought the same thing. But when I looked closer, it appears that Bonzo intended to play with "Uncle Joseph" AFTER he concluded his tour with Tim Rose. Needless to say, those intentions changed after Page saw Bonzo play with Rose at the Country Club on 7/31/68 and subsequently convinced him to join the band.

The report says "and is now with Uncle Joseph", and the date of the report is the 18th, so I'm inclined to believe he was "de facto" with the band, given Tim Rose's bass player was also with Uncle Joseph. In a previous, different thread, we established that Tim Rose used another drummer on his BBC recording session in London. It's quite possible that when John wasn't drumming with Tim, he was performing with Uncle Joseph, although I'd like to see some advertised gigs for this. There is also gaps between when the Band of Joy broke up and Tim Rose's early dates.

I'm assuming the "lamentable" publicity stunts refers to the "King of the Midlands Flower People" demonstration outside the court, but as it says "stunts," plural, was he involved in anything else?

YMMV on this but Robert one time was also offering the services of the Band of Joy to play for world peace for free anywhere on the planet. There exists a photograph of Robert outside the Charge d'Affaires of the Republic of China, holding a letter, dated 15 November 1967.

Meg,

FWIW, in the book 'A Thunder of Drums' it says Bonham (also ?) intended to tour with Chris Farlowe once the Tim Rose tour was complete.

Unresolved date for blocoboy:

Robert allegedly attended a Joe Cocker gig at the Black Horse in Kidderminster and while there confided to Mac Poole he was considering drummers to recommend to Page. This was almost certainly in July '68 and probably within a few days of meeting Jimmy for the first time.

Edited by SteveAJones

My notes show that according to a recollection in the Dec 1994 issue of 'The Lemon Tree' fanzine, Robert took the train in from London and hurriedly dashed over to The Factory in Birmingham where John Bonham was set to perform with Tim Rose to ask him if he's interested in joining The New Yardbirds. If this date can be confirmed, it

may well establish exactly when he had gone to Jimmy's houseboat in Pangbourne. In 1988 interview with Chris Tetley, Robert said he grabbed a beat up old suitcase and went to Pangbourne about two weeks after their first meeting, staying the night before returning to Birmingham the next day. We've establish Page went to see Bonham perform on 7/31/68 so it must be sometime in July 1968, but the Lemon Tree fanzine reports it was Aug 4, 1968.

...mikezep61 previously inquired on this some time ago....

Edited by SteveAJones

For your consideration..I don't think I've put these on here before-

scan0029.jpg

Saturday 10th August 1968

Do we have consensus this advert further supports Page, Plant, Bonham and Jones most likely convened at the Pangbourne boathouse on Sun, Aug 11th and held their first rehearsal at 39 Gerrard Street in Soho on Mon, August 12?

Given Bill's recollection, and we have a Woolpack date of the 27th July, I would venture to guess that Plant was in Pangbourne sometime between the 22nd and the 26th. Plant returning to Walsall on the 27th to tell members of Obs-Tweedle he has signed up with Jimmy's band, and the offer made to Bill to join Terry Reid's band.

Band of Joy split in March 1968. Tim Rose didn't return to the UK until June 1968. There is a 3 month gap there. It is quite likely Bonham must have been playing for some band between Band of Joy and Tim Rose.

Meg

Given Bill's recollection, and we have a Woolpack date of the 27th July, I would venture to guess that Plant was in Pangbourne sometime between the 22nd and the 26th. Plant returning to Walsall on the 27th to tell members of Obs-Tweedle he has signed up with Jimmy's band, and the offer made to Bill to join Terry Reid's band.

Band of Joy split in March 1968. Tim Rose didn't return to the UK until June 1968. There is a 3 month gap there. It is quite likely Bonham must have been playing for some band between Band of Joy and Tim Rose.

Meg

Ok, and with the July 22 Wolverhampton (Park Hall gig) we narrow it down one day further to btw July 23-27.

Agreed on Bonham. Perhaps intermittent gigging with various lineups but this is merely speculation on my part.

My notes show that according to a recollection in the Dec 1994 issue of 'The Lemon Tree' fanzine, Robert took the train in from London and hurriedly dashed over to The Factory in Birmingham where John Bonham was set to perform with Tim Rose to ask him if he's interested in joining The New Yardbirds. If this date can be confirmed, it

may well establish exactly when he had gone to Jimmy's houseboat in Pangbourne. In 1988 interview with Chris Tetley, Robert said he grabbed a beat up old suitcase and went to Pangbourne about two weeks after their first meeting, staying the night before returning to Birmingham the next day. We've establish Page went to see Bonham perform on 7/31/68 so it must be sometime in July 1968, but the Lemon Tree fanzine reports it was Aug 4, 1968.

...mikezep61 previously inquired on this some time ago....

Steve, I believe the date was actually one day earlier, on August 3, 1968 (according to that Lemon Tree issue).

robertplantsounds004wi1.jpg

You know.......I was just looking at this picture again today.......and I noticed that the drummer isn't actually playing The Brumbeats' drumkit. Do you think it's possible that this picture shows Robert playing with another group (perhaps The Black Snake Moan or The Delta Blues Band)?

If so.....maybe Robert never played with The Brumbeats after all?

Edited by swandown

You know.......I was just looking at this picture again today.......and I noticed that the drummer isn't actually playing The Brumbeats' drumkit. Do you think it's possible that this picture shows Robert playing with another group (perhaps The Black Snake Moan or The Delta Blues Band)?

If so.....maybe Robert never played with The Brumbeats after all?

Not sure if this is any help-

http://www.brumbeat.net/brumbea.htm

Meg

I'm not sure if Bonzo was in the band at the time, but according to IT ads, Tim Rose also toured England in May 1968 as well. These ads have Tim Rose at Grimsby on 5/19, Beckenham on 5/20, and Nottingham on 5/21:

TimRose-May1968.jpg