Peter Grant book

11 hours ago, rm2551 said:

It may be that was not the cause and effect. Might be more the partying and rock-God lifestyle was too much of a temptation. Once the partying started up again he wwent from good or at least manageable place (mindset) to PAAAARTTYYYYYYY. The touring was the devil's own temptation.

But that is the issue, Bonham, from what I have read, drank and engaged in destructive behavior because he hated to tour, hated to be away from his family. Something tells me Bonham was a somewhat naive kind of guy who essentially talked Robert into staying in Zep, thinking Zep would morph into a post-66' Beatles type group. That is to say, Zep would continue to produce albums but would either not tour, or not tour again for several years. I have always believed the band should have gone on indefinite hiatus following the 80' European tour, put out two or three albums from 81' - 86' and then toured once Bonham's kids were grown so when they went on the road, Bonzo would have his family along for the ride. Water under the bridge.

10 minutes ago, Mithril46 said:

Does anyone have that picture of Bonzo when he supposedly lost 50 lbs ??  I've never seen this or read about it.

Sometimes very bad alcoholics get malabsorption syndrome, where you can lose a lot of weight because your'e

not able to absorb calories or nutrients properly. But that is obviously pure speculation. And the thing with Page

and drugs is more murky than some think. At first, from Hammer of the Gods apparently Page was an addict

for 6-7 yrs straight. Then , much much later, it turns out there were quite a few pauses in use or attempts to quit.

Most forget that for a long time, Jimmy was observed as a pretty disciplined person. That comment about Page,

though a valid observation, makes me think that Page was only able to get thru 77'-80' live(not always well)

through sheer will. The drugs had won, but Jimmy was still able to play a show however haphazardly.

http://custard-pie.com/ John Bonham with son Jason a few weeks before John passed away.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         

Since I am rather incompetent since they updated the site, I posted the link. There are also a couple more pictures of him in the photo section on this site under 1980 where he is at home. The weight loss is striking.

Yeah, don't know about 50 pounds, absolutely 30+, whatever, Somewhat amazing that this is not mentioned in any

book or article. This really changes my view of the mechanics of his death, although sadly it is "water under the bridge".

Just now, kingzoso said:

...What I find very ironic (and unfortunate) is that Jerry Weintraub died about a year or two ago and Jimmy Page is still alive.   I don't think that Jerry did as much drugs as Jimmy did, but, nonetheless, they were in the same entertainment business that Cocaine was just a motivating factor as were American dollars and American fame. 

Page has genetics on his side.  His mother is still living and in her early nineties.  

4 hours ago, Disco Duck said:

Page has genetics on his side.  His mother is still living and in her early nineties.  

That is very nice to hear.  I hope that Mr. Page lives past that and well in his hundreds.  Although I already know that James Patrick Page is Immortal and will live on for thousands of years to come (I think that He even knows that). 

19 hours ago, IpMan said:

Something tells me Bonham was a somewhat naive kind of guy who essentially talked Robert into staying in Zep, thinking Zep would morph into a post-66' Beatles type group. That is to say, Zep would continue to produce albums but would either not tour, or not tour again for several years. 

I'll give you credit for posting wholly unsubstantiated conjecture I've never seen before. 

10 hours ago, Disco Duck said:

She did live into her 90s, passing away a few years ago. However, his father died way back in 1982.

19 minutes ago, NealR2000 said:

Is there anything in the way of a photograph or video clip of Peter in Carry On Columbus?  I've scoured Google but can't find anything.  From what I can gather, he played the role of The Cardinal.

This is something I've been meaning to sort out for years now. His name does not appear in the credits and unless I've missed something he does not appear in the film. Perhaps someone confused the role of Torquemada with that of a Cardinal? In any event, it isn't him. If someone finds anything in this film to suggest he does appear in it please let me know.

Ha Ha, bring on more. Grant himself doesn't mention in his book some of the more eccentric and odd jobs he had

before becoming a group/tour manager. Pro wrestler ? movie stand in for Robert Morley ?? Probably Steve the

Zep encyclopedia could elaborate on this for true facts.

14 hours ago, SteveAJones said:

I'll give you credit for posting wholly unsubstantiated conjecture I've never seen before. 

She did live into her 90s, passing away a few years ago. However, his father died way back in 1982.

Thats why I said "Something tells me..." in other words I said it was conjecture, just thinking in type so to speak. Though from several quotes and interviews I have read and seen of Bonham, he does have a rather naive, almost child like quality about him. That is unless there are interviews I have not seen about him bemusing the current state of the Labour Party, or Platonic philosophy, I would say he was a pretty simple guy.

12 hours ago, IpMan said:

Thats why I said "Something tells me..." in other words I said it was conjecture, just thinking in type so to speak. Though from several quotes and interviews I have read and seen of Bonham, he does have a rather naive, almost child like quality about him. That is unless there are interviews I have not seen about him bemusing the current state of the Labour Party, or Platonic philosophy, I would say he was a pretty simple guy.

I would agree he was a fairly simple guy, but I've noticed Led Zeppelin fans have a tendency for exaggerating...Page becomes a junkie who could barely function after '75, every third song Plant has written is about Karac, ITTOD is a JPJ solo album, Bonham couldn't leave the house without breaking down over his children. Everyone is certainly entitled to their own opinion and their conjecture, but I try to let what they said on record speak for itself whenever possible. 

On ‎3‎/‎4‎/‎2016 at 6:32 PM, IpMan said:

Yes, you are correct but does anyone know the terms? Maybe Bonham wanted to stay together as a recording band and play only a few gigs once in a while. It just does not make sense to me that Bonham would convince Robert to stay in the band on the one hand, then become nervous and scared at the thought of touring America again, even for such a short tour, to the point of engaging in extremely destructive behavior. It was my understanding that after the death of Robert's son Bonham actually quit heroin and became quite healthy until the 80' European tour. Then, the last picture (I believe) of Bonham taken days before his death shows him about 50lbs lighter than he was for the Knebworth gigs, I mean he actually looks thin, not Jimmy thin but thinner than he had ever been before. The man was obviously in trouble in some respect, plus, he was suffering from severe dysentery and cramps during the European tour if memory serves me.

0b8b60036cd3a633f562cf086c47f65f.jpg

5 hours ago, SteveAJones said:

I would agree he was a fairly simple guy, but I've noticed Led Zeppelin fans have a tendency for exaggerating...Page becomes a junkie who could barely function after '75, every third song Plant has written is about Karac, ITTOD is a JPJ solo album, Bonham couldn't leave the house without breaking down over his children. Everyone is certainly entitled to their own opinion and their conjecture, but I try to let what they said on record speak for itself whenever possible. 

Agreed. So, does that mean that Jimmy really is NOT a satanic wizard? Darn.

• 4 months later...

Archived