Kashmir 1975 or 1977?

JimmyPageZoSo56

Kashmir, what year?  

78 members have voted

1. 1. What year was the best?

I was 19 and almost 20 when I saw them in May of 77 in Landover MD. So when you saw them in Baton Rouge you had to be 16? And 14 ini 73 when you saw them? So which was better of the two from memory?

Actually I was 12 and half when I saw them in 73 and I was 14 when I saw them in 75.

73 is special because it was the first time to see them live and the venue was more like home being in New Orleans. 75 was awesome as well. Honestly, live no band IMHO could take you on this journey like they did. Plus the time was different then. I still wonder how on earth we survived with some of the stuff we did!! :peace:

I would have seen them in 77 in New Orleans (Bless Robert & Maureen).

Actually I was 12 and half when I saw them in 73 and I was 14 when I saw them in 75.

73 is special because it was the first time to see them live and the venue was more like home being in New Orleans. 75 was awesome as well. Honestly, live no band IMHO could take you on this journey like they did. Plus the time was different then. I still wonder how on earth we survived with some of the stuff we did!! :peace:

I would have seen them in 77 in New Orleans (Bless Robert & Maureen).

I would have seen them again three months later in 77 in Buffalo if not for the tragedy. I went to alot of concerts in those days and saw many big bands including the Stones, Who, Aerosmith and many more But nothing was close to seeing Zeppelin. Of course it was very difficult to get the tickets and I had to travel far also.

• 4 months later...

Same here. When did you see them? I saw them Memorial day of 77 in Landover MD. Monday, May 30th. There is some footage here from that night. My memory was blue lazers all over the place as they played it? Perhaps the Ocean if he ever drops in could verify that? I know he was at all those shows.

Is it true they played Trampled Under Foot as a second encore that night? When the tape ends after the first encore you can here the audience explode as if the band is returning to the stage.

Interesting... I think the Black Mountain Side segue into Kashmir (79-08-04) is one of the best live segues ever made.

Absolutely !!

Afuer the boxed set came out, I mixed the segue with the studio recordings, and it aounded bad ass! :)

• 3 months later...

I like them both but probably prefer the 1977 version that segues out of White Summer/Black Mountainside. It also sounds a lil different being played on the Danelectro in 1977 instead of the Les Paul in 1975. This is kinda off topic for the years asked, but I have always thought the version played at Knebworth's second show 8-11-79 is better than the one released on the DVD from 8-4-79 (first show)

77. they never messed up Kashmir in 77 except 6-23-77 and plants voice was very up there unlike 75.. mellow.gif

Have you heard NYC 6-7-77? Great show overall, but Kashmir is an absolute trainwreck.

My favorite is 5-25-75, the final night of Earl's Court. Mammoth performance, and Bonham's drums are thunderous (especially noticeable on the fan remaster version "Keep Taking the Pills")

Knebworth 8-4-79 is my second favorite.

However, based on folks' comments here, I will revisit 5-22-77 and 6-23-77 - thanks!

Since the original question was '75 or '77 I stuck with those years. Besides, no "Kashmir" can be considered among the greatest without the Almighty Mellotron.

Like my pal The Rover, I saw multiple "Kashmir"s.

In 1975 I went to the March 12, 24, 25 & 27 shows. In 1977, I saw the June 21, 23, 25-27 shows.

Nine total "Kashmir"s. To pick the greatest year is splitting hairs. 1975 it was fresh and new. Not as new as it was to fans on the early leg of the tour, as by the time the tour hit L.A., "Physical Graffiti" had been released and we had heard "Kashmir" on record and were somewhat prepared to hear the song in concert.

Although, as The Rover said, nothing could quite prepare you for the WALLOP "Kashmir" had in concert.

1975 also had Jimmy using the Les Paul, which gave it a flavour different from the Danelectro ones later on.

But after thinking about it, I gave the nod to 1977. What ultimately tipped the scales in favour of 1977 were these factors:

1. Plant's voice. It was simply STRONGER than in 1975, which gave the song more force and power. Plus his moans and screams and vocal effects were more hypnotic in 1977. MESMERIZING!

2. Keeping on the Plant tip, 1977 was the year he remembered to sing the "Let me take you there" refrain at the end. In 1975 he didn't and the end seemed to drag on without it, especially if Bonzo wasn't feeling it on his fills...some of Bonzo's fills on the '75 "Kashmir" were sluggish.

3. Perfect balance between guitar and mellotron. For me, "Kashmir" works best when both the guitar and mellotron mesh and one doesn't dominate the other. In '75 they were still working out the balance. In '77 it was perfected. A swirling, whirling wall of sound.

4. The segue from "White Summer/BMC". The band had just played an acoustic set and now Jimmy was sitted alone playing his Danelectro with a blue and red spot on him, creating a lavender effect. It was mellow and the crowd was all sitting down in their seats, just kind of spacing out. Then Jimmy bolts upright, kicking the chair away and the light of a thousand suns floods the stage as the band slams into "Kashmir" and the crowd rises as one and goes completely bonkers from beginning to end. Yeah, it was that dramatic, that amazing.

So yeah, 1977 slightly gets the nod over 1975 as far as "Kashmir" goes. Not that the other years are slouches...and the 2007 one was stellar, even though Jones didn't use a mellotron.

"Kashmir" is a bona fide Led Zeppelin concert classic. A member of the Setlist Hall of Fame. Anybody who witnessed one in concert will never forget it. Even the Page & Plant versions were memorable.

FYI, all this talk of 6-23-77 is obscuring the fact that even better than the 6-21 and 6-23 is the 6-25 "Kashmir"...and 6-27 isn't far behind. I prefer a good audience source for '77 "Kashmir"s over soundboards because with soundboards you don't get the sense of the audience going berserk, which adds to the vibe of the performance.

1977 "Kashmir"...the effect was shattering.

Since the original question was '75 or '77 I stuck with those years. Besides, no "Kashmir" can be considered among the greatest without the Almighty Mellotron.

Like my pal The Rover, I saw multiple "Kashmir"s.

In 1975 I went to the March 12, 24, 25 & 27 shows. In 1977, I saw the June 21, 23, 25-27 shows.

Nine total "Kashmir"s. To pick the greatest year is splitting hairs. 1975 it was fresh and new. Not as new as it was to fans on the early leg of the tour, as by the time the tour hit L.A., "Physical Graffiti" had been released and we had heard "Kashmir" on record and were somewhat prepared to hear the song in concert.

Although, as The Rover said, nothing could quite prepare you for the WALLOP "Kashmir" had in concert.

1975 also had Jimmy using the Les Paul, which gave it a flavour different from the Danelectro ones later on.

But after thinking about it, I gave the nod to 1977. What ultimately tipped the scales in favour of 1977 were these factors:

1. Plant's voice. It was simply STRONGER than in 1975, which gave the song more force and power. Plus his moans and screams and vocal effects were more hypnotic in 1977. MESMERIZING!

2. Keeping on the Plant tip, 1977 was the year he remembered to sing the "Let me take you there" refrain at the end. In 1975 he didn't and the end seemed to drag on without it, especially if Bonzo wasn't feeling it on his fills...some of Bonzo's fills on the '75 "Kashmir" were sluggish.

3. Perfect balance between guitar and mellotron. For me, "Kashmir" works best when both the guitar and mellotron mesh and one doesn't dominate the other. In '75 they were still working out the balance. In '77 it was perfected. A swirling, whirling wall of sound.

4. The segue from "White Summer/BMC". The band had just played an acoustic set and now Jimmy was sitted alone playing his Danelectro with a blue and red spot on him, creating a lavender effect. It was mellow and the crowd was all sitting down in their seats, just kind of spacing out. Then Jimmy bolts upright, kicking the chair away and the light of a thousand suns floods the stage as the band slams into "Kashmir" and the crowd rises as one and goes completely bonkers from beginning to end. Yeah, it was that dramatic, that amazing.

So yeah, 1977 slightly gets the nod over 1975 as far as "Kashmir" goes. Not that the other years are slouches...and the 2007 one was stellar, even though Jones didn't use a mellotron.

"Kashmir" is a bona fide Led Zeppelin concert classic. A member of the Setlist Hall of Fame. Anybody who witnessed one in concert will never forget it. Even the Page & Plant versions were memorable.

FYI, all this talk of 6-23-77 is obscuring the fact that even better than the 6-21 and 6-23 is the 6-25 "Kashmir"...and 6-27 isn't far behind. I prefer a good audience source for '77 "Kashmir"s over soundboards because with soundboards you don't get the sense of the audience going berserk, which adds to the vibe of the performance.

1977 "Kashmir"...the effect was shattering.

I agree completely! Everything you just said, I 100% agree! The Kashmir from 6/25/77 is mind-blowing, even without the added benefit of actually being there. And I've always preferred the mellotron, because (especially in '79) the guitar was nearly completely buried in the sound of the synthesizer! And that segue from White Summer/Black Mountain Side into Kashmir was sooooooo badass, I wish they had done that in 2007. Also the Kashmir from 5/28/77 ain't half-bad either, especially with that ultra-extended outro.

Thinking back I always had thought that Houses of the Holy was out and PG was not yet realeased until 76? But it was so long ago my memory plays tricks on me. I remember a freezing cold night walking home from a close by old time record store with a brand new copy of Houses of the Holy. And then the seemingly forever wait for Physical Grafitti, 18 months between albums, that I am sure of. I saw them do Kashmir in 77 only with blue lazers and it was fabulous.

• 9 months later...

I know I'm gonna get ripped for saying this but he out played his father on this song/night.

LOL

Have you ever listened to any of the boots from 75' or 77'?

Jason Bonham will never outplay his father!

Archived