Robert plant hoping to record second album

misty mountain

Here's the full interview

A little bit country, a little bit rock'n'roll

Robert Plant would rather spend his 60th birthday singing bluegrass than touring with Led Zeppelin. He tells Sylvie Simmons why leaving his comfort zone took balls

Friday May 16, 2008

The Guardian

Robert Plant is smiling. A big, happy grin, the same one he had earlier, through almost the entirety of his show with Alison Krauss, the 36-year-old American bluegrass singer and fiddle player. "Sorry about that," he says, "but it's just so much fun. It's just the revelations, I think, that's what the smiles are about - like, 'We can do it.' I mean, could you ever imagine, with my supposed background?"

Article continues

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The appearance of the beautiful, understated Plant-Krauss collaborative album Raising Sand coincided with a rare reunion of the band in which Plant made his name, Led Zeppelin. Their charity performance at London's 02 Arena last year, with Jason Bonham sitting in on drums for his late father John, attracted a reported 20m applications for the 18,000 tickets, won accolades from music critics and led to rumours of a full tour - stymied, according to the Sunday Mirror, by Plant turning down a £100m offer to reunite for a full Zeppelin tour in favour of this low-key jaunt with Krauss.

Tonight's show, in the lovely little Tennessee city of Chattanooga, is in an old, cream-coloured brick building, looking like a cross between a town hall and a theatre. There is just one ticket tout outside. Like the rest of the audience, he exudes southern courtesy. Plant says the south seemed the perfect place to perform his reading of the music of rural America before a paying public.

"I was just saying last night, halfway through a bottle of Grey Goose, 'I don't know if this is a kind of urban north-east adventure, or whether it really does belong in the Chattanoogas and Roanokes.'" The morning after their show in Louisville, Kentucky, he "drove across the state line into Tennessee in the Clinch Mountains, where the Stanley Brothers were, and I came over the Cumberland Gap, which I thought was a Lonnie Donegal song. And just before Chattanooga I pulled over by the side of a lake and thought, 'Man, this is so, so beautiful.'"

Poking his head into a family restaurant, he saw "a 10-year-old, porky little kid with a hat on, playing fiddle like you wouldn't believe, with a 16-year-old, 6ft 4in kid with a banjo, and the two of them were just standing on this little raised dais, while people were eating catfish, and they were just wailing. Why did I only think that Howlin' Wolf wailed?"

Before his collaboration with Krauss - which grew, after a long gestation, from having met at a tribute to the blues singer Lead Belly - Plant admits he had serious prejudices about country, the music Hank Williams called "the white man's blues". Plant's musical epiphany, in his early teens, had come from black American music, when he saw Son House, Skip James and Bukka White play on package tours of the UK in the mid-60s. "I was really only interested in the black variety," he says. "As a young British male, that does change your life."

The romantic lyrics and mature singing style of the country songs he heard on British radio "didn't make as much sense for me and my friends, who were learning how to be as masculine as 'Squeeze my lemon till the juice runs down my leg.' Bear in mind I was 13. So for a long time I closed my eyes to the possibility of America having a white voice."

Collaborating with Krauss, who started performing country at the same age that Plant discovered the blues, "was like stepping into another world". But, he says, he has learned a lot: "I've been scared and I've liked not hanging on to stuff where I know that I'm in my comfort zone."

On stage in Chattanooga's Memorial Auditorium, though, it's Krauss who looks a little awkward, while Plant seems to be having the time of his life. Her singing, though, is astonishing - the missing link between Emmylou Harris and Mavis Staples. "You know what she said to me?" Plant asks. "'You've got to understand, I have never ever stood at a microphone without holding a violin.' So that's 20, 25 odd years of being on stage, and it's the first time she hasn't held a fiddle [during every song]. But she's getting more and more comfortable."

The set also includes new versions of three Zeppelin songs. Which must have been weird for Krauss, who declined Plant's invitation to see the Zeppelin reunion concert and gave her pair of tickets to her brother. The songs, though, fit in perfectly. When the Levee Breaks is stripped down to a folk-blues song with a fiddle refrain and a quote from the traditional Girl from the North Country. And, as Zeppelin fans will tell you, the original version of The Battle of Evermore also featured a woman singer, the late British folk artist Sandy Denny.

That was the first time Plant had sung with a woman, "but it was totally different than with Alison, nothing like as disciplined, an accidental drifting of harmonies. Alison is just a miracle. There was no real, 'Let's do it like this'; the two of us step up to the microphone and she's amazing, she can just follow my voice. She said, on When the Levee Breaks, 'If you want to go up, I'll come with you, just give me one split second.' And I really went for it and she was right above me, soaring like an eagle. It was amazing." He says he's still learning to sing harmony and practising constantly. "I'm listening to songs now all the time and creating harmonies, walking down the street like some sad, old Everly Brother. And it's not stopping here either, that's the good thing."

Meaning a second album with Krauss? The first was, after all, a resounding success, wining a Grammy and selling more than 1m copies. "We're right in the middle of the honeymoon right now and we're coming up with all sorts of great songs. When we go back on the road after Europe, back into the Carolinas and all those places, I think that we'll all be sitting in the back of the bus getting down and writing, maybe. It seems like the natural thing to do. The fluidity and the flexibility that's coming about now, it would be a shame not to do something original."

Dates on the second leg of the tour continue through August - the month Plant turns 60 years old. "It's a monumental number," he admits. "I remember seeing Big Joe Williams and Son House and all those guys at Birmingham Town Hall when I was about 14 or 15, and most of them were born after the turn of the 20th century, so really I am now of the age and the time that those men were when I looked at them like they were some sort of mysterious messengers from another time and planet. So I'm getting up there.

"I don't wish to start sounding like I'm gushing about this particular time of my life, but being with the right people is really crucial. I'm so aware of the fact that if I hadn't taken the chances that I've taken along the line, I probably wouldn't be getting the best out of my voice anymore, I might have messed it up in that awful, predictable place. So I've already got a birthday present."

That awful place is presumably an allusion to Zeppelin or its particular brand of loud, blues rock. When we last talked - in Nashville last October, where Plant and Krauss recorded Raising Sand - he was about to leave for London for the Zeppelin show. The press reported that his bandmates were furious he preferred to promote his record with Krauss than rehearse with them. But Plant brushes it off as media spin.

I remind him of one of the questions Krauss asked him during that last interview: whether it felt good to be on stage with his old band. Well, did it?

"You'd need a month for me to tell you. I don't really know what happened. I think it was a very humbling experience. Because I'm comfortable singing Fortune Teller and Your Long Journey" - two Raising Sand songs - "I can relate to them, they're not my songs but I can really bring them to some new place. But when I'm singing my own songs with that [Zeppelin] persona and that responsibility, then that's pretty heavyweight, and there were so many forces at work."

What kind of forces?

"It was so crucial that we didn't end up sending ourselves up by trying to be whatever it was that people thought we were. Because I don't really know what anybody thought we were."

Plant tells me he was "in tears" at the end of the concert. "Because it really did work, whatever 'it' was, for what it was. A great feat of engineering - social engineering mostly. The trouble is now, with rock'n'roll and stuff, it gets so big that it loses what once upon a time was a magnificent thing, where it was special and quite elusive and occasionally a little sinister and it had its own world nobody could get in." He feels too many big artists are fixated on the "next biggest thing" and are too willing to "sell their souls". "I'm afraid all that stuff really leaves me cold," he says.

So he did turn down a Zeppelin tour?

"There's really no point talking about it," he says. "I don't hold the keys to any decision by anybody to do anything. And everything has to be for the right reason. The reason that I have been flavour of the month or out in the cold myself as a performer is because I choose to excite myself and do these things and give it a good go, take it some place. And that's what Led Zeppelin did before. We were always pushing it and manipulating musical history and you know how serious I was about Zeppelin - it had to be absolutely right.

"So, that's the way forward. I do things because I want to be excited and I want to be risky. More important to me than anything else really," he smiles, "is to find out whether or not I've got the balls."

· Robert Plant and Alison Krauss play Wembley Arena on Thursday May 22

Personally I was hoping for him to get back with SS after this tour seeing as its pretty clear Zep isn't a touring option for him.

But who knows what original songs might come out of it??

Led Zeppelin's Viking Ship has sailed.......without Robert on it. He's happily Raising Sand as he waves goodbye from the shoreline.

I don't see it ever happening. Not unless there's another 'tribute' or 'charity' that Robert feels the need to board that ship again.

I love Raising Sand, but I hope Robert realizes that he isn't a bluegrass artist. He has a bit of music of many different places, but there are a lot more types that he hasn't fully touched on. If he wanted to stay with Alison, I hae no problem with it I just hope that he will also put out more types of music.

You know what's interesting about all these "will he or won't he" articles? None of these writers even consider the viewpoint of Allison Krauss! It's as if Robert can declare, "we're doing another album and touring for the next three years," and Allison has no say.

Allison is a very successful artist in her own right without Robert, and she also has a terrific bluegrass band called Union Station who are probably wondering when this will end and they'll get to play with her again.

I just find it funny that these writers are acting as if Allison is the new Phil Johnstone and nothing more. If this thing continues, it will be becasue they both want it to, not just him!

Here is the important part of the interview for those hanging on every word he's saying:

"halfway through a bottle of Grey Goose"

Yeah, and this too: "You've got to understand, I have never ever stood at a microphone without holding a violin.' So that's 20, 25 odd years of being on stage, and it's the first time she hasn't held a fiddle [during every song]. But she's getting more and more comfortable."

Riveting!!!

Seriously, considering the success of their collaboration, its obvious they'll be doing at least another album together, if not more. I predict by they're next tour Allison will be grabbing her crotch and twirling the mic stand around during Black Dog, while Robert holds her fiddle.

Why can't we have a new Zeppelin album?

I think my piano teacher described Raising Sand best when he called it "middle-aged feel-good music". It may be a new direction for Plant, but it isn't really a very interesting one (in my opinion). I just found it to be way to pop-like. We need the return of Plant the rocker, along with Page, Jones and Bonham the younger!

Yeah, and this too: "You've got to understand, I have never ever stood at a microphone without holding a violin.' So that's 20, 25 odd years of being on stage, and it's the first time she hasn't held a fiddle [during every song]. But she's getting more and more comfortable."

Riveting!!!

Seriously, considering the success of their collaboration, its obvious they'll be doing at least another album together, if not more. I predict by they're next tour Allison will be grabbing her crotch and twirling the mic stand around during Black Dog, while Robert holds her fiddle.

Too funny!!! :thumbsup:

I love Raising Sand, I saw them and they were brilliant & I'd love another album BUT after he takes care of the important business!

What Is really obvious having seen him and Alison on stage is the fun he's having. What really pishes me off though is that if only Mr Urtegan had had the good grace to snuff it before Plant met Krauss we wouldn't have this problem now!

The other big problem I have is with Robert's double speak goobledegook every time the LZ question is posed. Prior to O2 he always said no and fair play for that but since, he's negative but not enough to completely extingish the idea.

Isn't he just keeping his options open?

PS After all I've said I still think the wider reunion WILL happen.

I think my piano teacher described Raising Sand best when he called it "middle-aged feel-good music".

Now wonder why that is? Could it because Plant is nearing 60 and the days of prancing around onstage yelping to squeeze his lemon are over?

For example, I'm knocking on 40 myself, and the stuff I did even when I was 20 doesn't appeal to me at all right now. Why? Older and more mature and my tastes, desires, expectations have all drastically changed in the last 20 years, and I imagine if I live to be 60, my views on life will be even more different than what it is now at 40. I can't imagine being 60 and have to constantly listen to everyone hound me about going back in time as if to relive a time 40 years ago!

It's ridiculous. Let Robert do what he enjoys and wish him all the best and be happy for him and stop acting as if the only thing that will make any of you happy is to hear Ramble On one more time.

All the rumours about Jimmy and Jonesy in the studio "working on new material" is laughable. If they do, great. (BTW they won't be doing it with Robert in my honest opinion, which is exactly what is behind all the rumours and "inside information" you read on this board in spite of what some would have you believe) and if they don't go on tour, do an album and all that, then get over it and move on with your life.

This isn't 1977 and the Riot House isn't holding a reservation on the top floor waiting for Zep to roll into town this summer. Let Robert do whatever he wants and what makes him happy. He doesn't need any fans who can't get over the past dictating what he should sing, record and whom with.

P.S. Robert, I know some of those kids with a fiddle and banjo who can wail also, and yes, it is truly inspiring.

Now wonder why that is? Could it because Plant is nearing 60 and the days of prancing around onstage yelping to squeeze his lemon are over?

For example, I'm knocking on 40 myself, and the stuff I did even when I was 20 doesn't appeal to me at all right now. Why? Older and more mature and my tastes, desires, expectations have all drastically changed in the last 20 years, and I imagine if I live to be 60, my views on life will be even more different than what it is now at 40. I can't imagine being 60 and have to constantly listen to everyone hound me about going back in time as if to relive a time 40 years ago!

It's ridiculous. Let Robert do what he enjoys and wish him all the best and be happy for him and stop acting as if the only thing that will make any of you happy is to hear Ramble On one more time.

All the rumours about Jimmy and Jonesy in the studio "working on new material" is laughable. If they do, great. (BTW they won't be doing it with Robert in my honest opinion, which is exactly what is behind all the rumours and "inside information" you read on this board in spite of what some would have you believe) and if they don't go on tour, do an album and all that, then get over it and move on with your life.

This isn't 1977 and the Riot House isn't holding a reservation on the top floor waiting for Zep to roll into town this summer. Let Robert do whatever he wants and what makes him happy. He doesn't need any fans who can't get over the past dictating what he should sing, record and whom with.

P.S. Robert, I know some of those kids with a fiddle and banjo who can wail also, and yes, it is truly inspiring.

:rolleyes: How incredibly arrogant. You're posting on the official Led Zeppelin site and when some of the fans of the band don't see eye to eye with Robert on his collaboration with Alison you imply that it's just immaturity and that they should 'get over it' and 'move on' with their lives - as if they aren't, and as if anyone doesn't realize it isn't 1977 anymore.

:rolleyes: How incredibly arrogant. You're posting on the official Led Zeppelin site...

You just made my point. Unintentional on your part I'm sure.

Yes, it's the official Led Zeppelin site. Last time I checked Led Zeppelin ceased to exist in September of 1980 and confirmed 3 months later in a statement from the band. They very fact that this board exists is in tribute to a band from a time that is nearly 30 years gone!

Read some of the scathing criticism towards Robert for refusing to record and go on tour under the name of a band, that ceased to exist nearly 30 years ago and get back to me about whether or not some are living in the past.

THAT is the point I was making and your pointing out that this is the official site, actually made the point for me....even without your knowing it.

...and when some of the fans of the band don't see eye to eye with Robert on his collaboration with Alison you imply that it's just immaturity...

I didn't say they (the fans) were immature. Read my comments again and try to comprehend my analogy. It is Robert, who has grown and matured over the last 40 years. Stop trying to accept him only when he's wearing the Zeppelin hat he wore 30 years ago.

...and that they should 'get over it' and 'move on' with their lives - as if they aren't, and as if anyone doesn't realize it isn't 1977 anymore.

Now that part of my post you read correctly. Good job.

I didn't say they (the fans) were immature. Read my comments again and try to comprehend my analogy. It is Robert, who has grown and matured over the last 40 years. Stop trying to accept him only when he's wearing the Zeppelin hat he wore 30 years ago.

Now that part of my post you read correctly. Good job.

I didn't say you said they were immature, but that you implied they were. You most certainly did. It's there for everyone to read.

'Try to comprehend' your analogy? Sorry, I've read more complicated thinkers than you in my time. :lol:

And hey, don't tell me what I should accept or what I should think (arrogance again). Actually, I didn't even say what I thought myself about Raising Sand. My opinion of it (and the one show I've heard from his tour with Alison) is a lot higher than of your post. :D

Hi All,

Sorry to all I disagree with, but Mr Plant has gone too far this time for me to journey with him.

He is at heart a Blues Wailing Rocker, not a Country or Blue Grass singer. I watcher the Jules Holland shows with Alison and was totally disapointed, this is not the type of music that I grew up with. I thought he's voice totally overpowered her's, in fact you could hardly hear her.

I ask this in all honestly, would any of you have followed this type of music if Mr Plant hadn't gone along this road. I know I wouldn't have given it any time at all. I think Mr Plant has been totally lost since Led Zeppelin split as far as which musical road to travel, where as Jimmy has stayed on track regarding his roots and what he personally like's.

Robert was a child of the Blues, and as a true Blues singer he should have stayed with it, there seems to be nowhere near as much soul in Blue Grass as in The Blues,in my humble opinion. All my favourite Rock bands have gone the same way, Deep Purple, Black Sabbath, Pink Floyd, and now Zeppelin. Personal rifts and musical direction's have broken up all these great bands, only Rush seem to have been able to keep it going for decades.

As people have said before, Robert can do what he wants, he owe's us nothing. Well that works both ways. If he dosen't give me what I want, why should I buy his records, or go to his concerts? Remember this is a "Led Zeppelin" site, not a "Robert Plant" site, I can distinguish between the two, many of you cant, or wont.

So I say to Robert, thanks for all your good work in the past, but no thanks for your present offerings, I must stay true to myself and not follow the crowd.

Regards, Danny.

Archived