Help with Led Zeppelin Trivia!

Gainsbarre

I got one for you: Who did Jimmy want originally (before Robert) to be the singer of the super group? If you don't know, make sure you get the guys superlungs cd, when you find out, it's great.

Here's one for you Gainesbarre: when and where was "Stairway to Heaven" first played for a live audience?

Damn, two excellent questions...both I can't answer...

Who Jimmy originally wanted to be the singer, i can't remember his name. I know Jimmy asked him and he said no, and suggested Robert, is that correct? I know the guy died recently, didn't he?

And when was Stairway first performed...

Well I have a feeling it was first performed before the album was released, so I am guessing it was on that 1971 US tour?

Hey, I read he had a job with Joe Cocker and didn't want to leave it for the new yardbirds.

Suppose you should dump that question, there are to much theoties on that.

Don't forget Jimmy was an art student too and had a job at Neil Christian in the early 60s ( he got sereously ill from that) and maybe you could make a question out of this. Something like: what was the first band jimmy got famous with? (They were very hip around 61)

Good night, time to go to bed...

Damn, two excellent questions...both I can't answer...

Who Jimmy originally wanted to be the singer, i can't remember his name. I know Jimmy asked him and he said no, and suggested Robert, is that correct? I know the guy died recently, didn't he?

And when was Stairway first performed...

Well I have a feeling it was first performed before the album was released, so I am guessing it was on that 1971 US tour?

You are correct. Jimmy asked Terry Reid to be the singer but he already had plans of going to America to open for the Stones. Terry then suggested Robert to Jimmy and the rest is history. Terry also turned down a spot with Deep Purple. But, Terry is still alive and kickin' and from what I understand, still touring.

I think his folks wanted him to be an accountant, but not sure he actually worked as one. Do know he was a road builder.

Haha! You beat me to it!! :lol:

Here's one Gains:

Jimmy Page played guitar on Roy Harper's 1971 album Stormcock. Under what name was he credited on the album sleeve? :beer:

Here's one for the purists.

What do Led Zeppelin and Roy Orbison have in common?

Robert participated in his Anthology DVD? Both Robert and Roy worked with T-Bone Burnett?

Nah, they both recorded somgs called Communication Breakdown! :D

No idea, so I'll take a stab in the dark.

Jefferson Airplane or The Byrds.

The Byrds.

Ha! Finally stumped you! :lol:

It was Quicksilver Messenger Service. The whole arrangement is totally different. Way more "Insence and Peppermints" in vibe, with some differences in the lyrics as well. Particularly the choruses. But under it all, you do get the same root lyrics in the verses.

For example, "You know I'm gonna leave you. I'm gonna leave you in the summertime. Woman I've got to ride" (instead of ramble).

Some may say it's a stretch, but the roots are there.

It was a common song for them to do live. If you check Wolfgang's Concert Vault, you can listen to it. Fillmore West 1968.

http://concerts.wolfgangsvault.com/dt/quic...t/604-5673.html

San Franciscan rock bands not my strong suit! :o

Goes back to my Deadhead days! :lol:

And I admit, it's quite obscure, and came out on an album of unreleased tracks. It was never an "official" release. Like I said, a "stretch". I doubt anyone not into QMS would ever have stumbled across it. But as a fan of the late John Cippolina, a great guitarist, I had to stick that out there! :lol:

Goes back to my Deadhead days! :lol:

And I admit, it's quite obscure, and came out on an album of unreleased tracks. It was never an "official" release. Like I said, a "stretch". I doubt anyone not into QMS would ever have stumbled across it. But as a fan of the late John Cippolina, a great guitarist, I had to stick that out there! :lol:

G'donya Ev!

About Roy Harper and Jimmy was it Charles Obscure?

G'donya Ev!

About Roy Harper and Jimmy was it Charles Obscure?

S. Flavius Mercurius if I remember correctly. The pseudonym was used for contractual reasons. Flavius Josephus was the man who gave us the history of the Jewish wars in the first century AD, and shed light on the Essenes and Jewish mysticism. That could be a link to Kabbalist teachings, which would dovetail nicely into his Crowley and Thelema interests. Mercury obviously relates to Jimmy's star chart. Mercury is in Capricorn on his chart.

You are correct. Jimmy asked Terry Reid to be the singer but he already had plans of going to America to open for the Stones. Terry then suggested Robert to Jimmy and the rest is history. Terry also turned down a spot with Deep Purple. But, Terry is still alive and kickin' and from what I understand, still touring.

Terry Reid! Yes! The name bloody came to me just seconds before I read your post. So he's still alive? I wonder who it was I thought had died then...

S. Flavius Mercurius if I remember correctly. The pseudonym was used for contractual reasons.

S Flavius Mercurius...wow, nice Latin name...I'll have to remember that one

Terry Reid! Yes! The name bloody came to me just seconds before I read your post. So he's still alive? I wonder who it was I thought had died then...

Well, I've heard Jimmy's original prospect was Steve Marriott of Humble Pie, but legend has it that Marriot's people said if they (Page and Grant) pursued him there'd be "broken fingers" and such. However, as that story came from HOTG, I'd take it with a grain of salt! :beer:

Archived