What's the Next Concert You're Attending?

Jahfin

To each their own. I was just never a fan of the synth heavy MTV friendly bands of that time (or of what would later become known as "hair metal"). I was much more a fan of artists like R.E.M., the Replacements, Guadalcanal Diary, Let's Active, the db's, Lone Justice, the Long Ryders, Los Lobos, Stevie Ray Vaughan, U2, etc. back then as well as reggae artists such as the Mighty Diamonds, Peter Tosh, the Itals, David Lindley and El Rayo-X, etc. Many of the New Wave and Hair Metal bands struck me as transparent and superficial. It was just never my thing.

R.E.M. are even more wonderful.... I've loved them since I could first hear! U2 and SRV are good too. I'm not generally a fan of New Wave, but I like some of the stuff. I mainly stick with the metal.. mainly hair, but I'm loving a lot of the thrash nowadays!

R.E.M. are even more wonderful.... I've loved them since I could first hear! U2 and SRV are good too. I'm not generally a fan of New Wave, but I like some of the stuff. I mainly stick with the metal.. mainly hair, but I'm loving a lot of the thrash nowadays!

Up through my high school years and into the early 80s I was pretty heavy into hard rock but my tastes started to shift (again) once I first heard R.E.M., the Replacements, U2, the Alarm, and local bands like Let's Active, the db's, the Spongetones and others. That said, I still love Zep (duh), Sabbath, Foghat, Van Halen and most of the other music I grew up listening to in the 70s. By the time Cinderella, Poison, and that whole pretty boy hair metal thing hit I had completely lost interest in that type of music. In fact, I can't think of a time when I was ever a fan of hair metal.

That's cool but I was actually talking about Tift and Zeke finally tying the knot.

LOL, I saw that as well, but I thought you meant the show.. I did not know they were a couple until quite recently actually.

I thought Tift would be my next concert, but in mysterious ways two tickets for tonights concert with Robert Plant and Alison Krauss were given to me!! :o I'm looking forward to see them! :D

I'm going watching John Fogerty in Manchester on 22nd June, 11 rows from the front. Last time i went watching him was at Hammersmith Apollo and i was on the upper tier leaning against the back wall!! I couldn't have been any further back if i'd tried! so this should be a lot better!!

Ringo Starr and his allstar band. with Edgar Winter august

Quicksilver Messenger service,Big Brother and the Holding Company, JJ Muggler, Jo Jo Billingsly October

add Jefferson Starship to the second show and I will be backstage for that one Jo Jo was one of the original Honkettes from the early days of Skynyrd she will be doing a southern rock tribute with JJ Muggler.She also is a gosphel singer now and quite good.

I've never seen Jefferson Starship, but am a big Airplane and Hot Tuna fan. Last I heard, Paul Kantner is still playing with them, but does not spend the entire show on stage. He has been getting trouble using the Airplane / Starship name, since it's mostly not the original members. Marty Balin occasionally tours with them, but often is a no show at concerts he is on the bill for. I think they both have health issues. David Frieberg tours with them, but does not play bass anymore. Other members are castoffs from other bands, I hear the two woman singers are young and pretty decent. They supposedly do a mix of Starship and Airplane, which is weird to me, because of the difference in music style. I'll recommend Hot Tuna instead, who still tour and have been playing acoustic or electric shows - mostly old time blues and psychedelic stuff. Original members Jorma Kaukonen and Jack Casady, who still is amazing. Hope this helped!

I can't get into a band that is such a weak shell of it's former self. They might as well just be a cover/tribute band.

The only decent J. Starship music to me was the first couple they put out, before that Mickey Thomas era. <_<

I can't get into a band that is such a weak shell of it's former self. They might as well just be a cover/tribute band.

Sort of like the Marshall Tucker Band who are touring with only one original member? They played near me a year or so ago but damned if I was going to pay $30 to see 'em. Same for Blackfoot who are touring without Rickey Medlocke. Without Medlocke there is no Blackfoot. For years Molly Hatchet toured with no original members but people still paid good money to see that shit. I can only figure there's a generation raised on "classic rock" radio that simply didn't know any better, they just wanted to see the band who's song gets played every five minutes on the radio.

Maybe one exception would be the Allman brothers, who I hear are still excellent and have no trouble selling out shows. They lost members due to tragic deaths, and had the guts to let Dickie Betts go when he wasn't up their standards. If Greg Allman does not recover enough from his current health issues to tour, this would leave a major question mark, though?

Maybe one exception would be the Allman brothers, who I hear are still excellent and have no trouble selling out shows. They lost members due to tragic deaths, and had the guts to let Dickie Betts go when he wasn't up their standards. If Greg Allman does not recover enough from his current health issues to tour, this would leave a major question mark, though?

Yes, it would. At least I think so. I saw them last year for the first time since Dickey left and they still have "it" (my last show [for no apparent reason] was during the Shades of Two Worlds Tour back in the early to mid 90s). Derek Trucks and Warren Haynes have breathed new life into the band. Some people already swear them off because of no Duane, no Berry or no Dickey but without Gregg I'd think they'd have to hang it up for good.

....on another note entirely I've read that Gene Simmons plans for Kiss to go on even without him and Paul Stanley once they retire from touring.

WHO is still in that band? Any originals? :huh:

Maybe Paul Kantner?

Last I heard thier lineup is

Paul Katner

Slick Aguilar guitar

Donnie Baldwin Drums

Chris Smith Keyboards

Cathy Richardson - vocals

But with Starship you really never no what past members will pop in .Prarie Prince,Marty Balin,Dianne

or Darby

It will be a good show they say Cathy is outstanding We shall see.