A Fifth Member...

Nathan

Well I would be interested to know who that is, since you claim to know everything.

*sigh*

Keith Emerson

dude, i just said who it was. :angry:

where's my credit :lol:

also, they couldnt have Keith Emerson. that would be dank if they did. Emerson Lake and Palmer set up some jam sessions with Hendrix after the Isle of Wight Festival but Hendrix died after the ELP show. ELP never got to jam Hendrix.

LOL...

100% credit to you. :D

It was not in response to you anyways. It was in response to yet another "the fifth member was Peter Grant." I'm so sick of that response when I post this thread it's not even funny.

I'm sorry, but when one talks about a member of a band, that generally means someone who plays an instrument in the band and performs with the band live and on studio albums, and the members name is listed along with the other band members.

This is NOT Peter Grant. Being a member of a band is completely different from being the manager of a band.

But you're right. It would have been dank. In fact, it would have been a mistake had they taken on a fifth member.

whatever, does it say in a history book?

Dave Lewis with Simon Pallet: Led Zeppelin The Concert File 2005 Edition

All clues and references given at top of page 1.

BTW, desirezep, if you take any offense, I truly apologize. I mean no offense or disrespect. My annoyance is not with you. It's with your response. I bitch on purists all the time, but if there's one thing I am a purist about it is the fact that Peter Grant was NOT the "fifth member of Zep." He was the manager. This makes him just as important as the members of Zep (if not moreso), but not a member.

I hope my outburst on it has not given you a bad impression of me. But the response annoys the crap out of me. It's the only thing I'm purist about, so...

Accept my apologies for any and all offense you took or disrespect that seem to have come across and I'll buy you a drink at the pub... :beer:

*sigh*

Keith Emerson

LOL...

100% credit to you. :D

It was not in response to you anyways. It was in response to yet another "the fifth member was Peter Grant." I'm so sick of that response when I post this thread it's not even funny.

I'm sorry, but when one talks about a member of a band, that generally means someone who plays an instrument in the band and performs with the band live and on studio albums, and the members name is listed along with the other band members.

This is NOT Peter Grant. Being a member of a band is completely different from being the manager of a band.

But you're right. It would have been dank. In fact, it would have been a mistake had they taken on a fifth member.

Dave Lewis with Simon Pallet: Led Zeppelin The Concert File 2005 Edition

All clues and references given at top of page 1.

BTW, desirezep, if you take any offense, I truly apologize. I mean no offense or disrespect. My annoyance is not with you. It's with your response. I bitch on purists all the time, but if there's one thing I am a purist about it is the fact that Peter Grant was NOT the "fifth member of Zep." He was the manager. This makes him just as important as the members of Zep (if not moreso), but not a member.

I hope my outburst on it has not given you a bad impression of me. But the response annoys the crap out of me. It's the only thing I'm purist about, so...

Accept my apologies for any and all offense you took or disrespect that seem to have come across and I'll buy you a drink at the pub... :beer:

VERY NICE! *Borat voice* :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Well that would be ELP.

What a scary thought. Imagine Keith Emerson dueling with Jimmy Page. :duel:

Have you seen early ELP? I think they played Isle of Wight...or something..anyway I once saw a film with a bunch of 60's bands and it was ELP's first show. Keith Emerson was obviously the star, as young as a fetus, and gave Jon Lord a run for his money as far as brutalizing his keyboard while playing it masterfully. It was really good. To busy for Page, I'll wager.

Have you seen early ELP? I think they played Isle of Wight...or something..anyway I once saw a film with a bunch of 60's bands and it was ELP's first show. Keith Emerson was obviously the star, as young as a fetus, and gave Jon Lord a run for his money as far as brutalizing his keyboard while playing it masterfully. It was really good. To busy for Page, I'll wager.

Yeah, it's the Isle Of Wight (great DVD, highly recommended). That's the performance I was thinking of when I said about the duel.

I love Isle of Wight. Amazing freakin' stuff.

But also shows why it's a good thing the boys didn't agree to let Keith in. It would've been too much. Keith is undoubtedly the greatest keyboardist ever, but that's not Zep's style.

yea they played Isle of Wight.

:lol: :lol: image this:

Jimmy throws up the double neck for the bridge to the "Stairway" solo and then you got Keith hammering away at the keys then they both have like a duel solo.

...so it was emerson eh? i would think the only fifth member could be sandy denny after all she plays piano and has her own symbol on the fourth album. lol ...other bad guesses upcoming were pj proby, and lord sutch... ^_^

Hi all,

Phil Carson joined them on bass for a song in Japan(28/9/71) with Clive Coulson on vocals(High Heel Sneakers). Keith Moon and I *think* Richard Cole on bongos also,......

From 'The Concert Files:'

When it became apparent that studio material such as 'Thank You' and 'Since I've been Loving You' would require John Paul Jones to play keyboards,there were vague talks of adding a fifth member for live performances.Although the discussions never developed,Peter Grant remembers that Keith Emerson was mentioned as a possible canidate."There was also a rumour that made Brian Lane,the manager of Yes,very paranoid," recalls Grant."And that was that we were going to get Chris Squire to join on bass and move John Paul to keyboards permanently.That was never a serious consideration though."

As it turns out,JP was quite happy doubling his role."It was always a case of 'Oh,Jonesy will play that'if a new arrangement came up," remembers Jones.

This is all very well, but there's an alternative answer.

At one point they were considering poaching Chris Squire from Yes so that JPJ could concentrate on keyboards. Rather glad they didn't, they don't need an extra members. The Stones and the Who have been diluted a bit with the additional entourage, the suspicion is that these people have been brought in to cover up deficiencies.

Hi all,

Uh-oh, Yep Zep and I seem to be telepathically connected!

His response wasn't there when I started typing mine!!

We are?!? :blink::) Well good to know! Now I have another like-minded brother-sister? In the UK!

Sweet!

I always though that JPJ was the bands not-so-secret weapon. When I look at Earl's Court on the DVD and see Jonesy playing mandolin,bass pedals and singing,.....WOW :o

"Fifth member,we don't need no stinkin' fifth member!" :D

Sorry, I just realised that this board is getting very serious about all zep matters and of course my last reply was a joke. Please don't waste your time replying to it, telling me about Viram Jasani, Phil Carson, Sandy Denny or Ian Stewart. Geez, I'm a Zep nerd enough as it is without receiving 3rd party emails telling me what's, what.

It never fails. Every single time I start this thread at a Zep or related forum, someone has to make this post. And frankly, I'm sick of it.

So from now on, I'm gonna specify:

A fifth Performing, Playing Member Who Gets Up On Stage And Actually Performs As Part Of The Band. Did Grant ever do that?

Didn't think so."

I remember reading bout the Emerson thing and shudderring....those bloody knives!!!!!yikes.Jack Bruce tho..could have gone somewhere nice...anyone ever hear the XYZ stuff btw?

On a side note, Keith Richards reportedly asked Jimmy if he was interested in replacing Mick Taylor in the Stones back in 1975.

Of course that was NOT gonna happen. They tried Jeff Beck out, and that failed of course. And here we get stuck with Ron Wood for the last 32 years. <_<

Sorry to get off track there. Just an interesting footnote.

On a side note, Keith Richards reportedly asked Jimmy if he was interested in replacing Mick Taylor in the Stones back in 1975.

Of course that was NOT gonna happen. They tried Jeff Beck out, and that failed of course. And here we get stuck with Ron Wood for the last 32 years. <_<

Sorry to get off track there. Just an interesting footnote.

Lmao...Jimmy?play in a "singles band"?

Archived