The Jazz Thread

• 2 weeks later...

Going to a Tribute to Ella Fitzgerald concert tonight at the Hollywood Bowl.

http://www.hollywoodbowl.com//tickets/ella-love/2014-07-09

ARTISTS

The Legendary Count Basie Orchestra directed by Scotty Barnhart

Patti Austin, special guest

Dee Dee Bridgewater, special guest

Clint Holmes, special guest

Yuna, special guest

Gregg Field, drums and special guest musical director

Shelly Berg, special guest piano

Clayton-Hamilton Jazz Orchestra

Carmen Bradford, special guest

Happy birthday (July 10) to a young lion and one of my favourite jazzmen...trumpeter Lee Morgan (1938 - 1972).

"Search for the New Land" is ESSENTIAL Lee...released 50 years ago in 1964. Note the talent on this album...Wayne Shorter on tenor, Grant Green guitar, Herbie Hancock piano, Billy Higgins drums, Reginald Workman bass. Another musician sadly gone much too young.

We saw this trio at Buxton Opera House a few years ago and they just blew us away. We had never heard of them before and took a punt. Unfortunately Esbjorn tragically died a couple of years ago. Check out the sounds of the bass man @ 12.50 secs in. Remind you of anyone?

Edited by chillumpuffer

• 4 weeks later...

I started my love affair with jazz when a studio engineer played Herbie Hancock's "Rain Dance" over the monitors while we were setting up in the morning. I'd never heard anything like it, I was totally blown away. The next morning he brought in Miles "Jack Johnson" and that was me sold.

And now I have my three favourites in music (though always subject to change) Led Zeppelin, Miles Davis and Scott Walker!

Yesterday was Louis Armstrong's birthday...August 4, 1901.

There are not enough superlatives to describe the genius and impact of Louis Armstrong on jazz and American culture at large. Duke Ellington is his only rival as far as importance in putting American music on the map. A true American Original. Legend.

Woody Allen famously said Louis Armstrong's "Potato Head Blues" was one of the things that make life worth living...he was absolutely right. Happy Belated Birthday Satchmo!

• 2 years later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 10 months later...

I used to lift weights to Coltrane's Interstellar Space - first, it made me want to kill somebody, then it made me want to rip my face off, then it made me want to break my teeth.
In a good way!
And it always helped me to hit the numbers.
My puny frame -v- John Coltrane?
Only ever one winner - and it wasn't me!

Edited by Brigante

1 hour ago, Brigante said:

I used to lift weights to Coltrane's Interstellar Space - first, it made me want to kill somebody, then it made me want to rip my face off, then it made me want to break my teeth.
In a good way!
And it always helped me to hit the numbers.
My puny frame -v- John Coltrane?
Only ever one winner - and it wasn't me!

I've been slowly dipping my toe into Coltrane's 'free' later period, I'm currently somewhere in between A Love Supreme & Ascension, haven't got as far as Interstellar Space yet. 

My current favourite albums are Eric Dolphy's Outward Bound, Coltrane's Sun Ship & Circle in the Round, which is a Miles Davis odds & sods release.

• 2 weeks later...

I like listening to jazz guitar and jazz bass, some of my favorite jazz guitarists are Pat Metheney, Wes Montgomery, John Scofield, and Allan Holdsworth, and some of my favorite jazz bassists are Victor Wooten, Stanley Clarke, Marcus Miller, and Jaco Pastorious 

Also like listening to jazz piano a bit, Vince Guaraldi is great 

• 1 year later...
  • 10 months later...