The Yardbirds

Miar

• 3 weeks later...
Does anyone have this mid 60s portrait of Jimmy with a Sitar ?

seen it in a 1980s book about british invasion music, but never again.

damn i shouldda gotten that book then!

jimmy with a sitar...I don't have any pic, but hell, he did an amazing job on Chris FarLowe's Moanin'.. :bubble:

Does anyone have this mid 60s portrait of Jimmy with a Sitar ?

seen it in a 1980s book about british invasion music, but never again.

damn i shouldda gotten that book then!

OMG! I would have loved to have seen that! You should ask SteveAJones about that.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Here are two that I haven't seen anywhere else yet. From Jan 17, 1967 in Singapore where they played a show with the Walkers Brothers at the National Theatre.

JPyardbirdsSingapore170167-1.jpg

JPyardbirdsSingapore170167-2.jpg

(The Quests - Opening Band - Singapore)

They remembered Peter Ghouse of Malaysia's Hunters. He was the rhythm guitarist and singer with that band. Hunters were one of the top guitar bands of Malaysia at that time, as they had an ace guitar player in their midst, Terry Thaddeus. They performed on many shows, which came through Malaysia featuring Singapore bands and singers. Hunters had played at some Quests shows, and even when they were not on the bill they would turn up at the event to talk to the band. A call was made to Peter and he agreed to fly to Singapore to play the show. This was going to be tricky. They were asking to him play bass when his instrument was guitar. To his credit Peter pulled it off. Vernon said, "We practised very hard as we wanted to of standard and be accepted by the fans of Yardbirds and Walker Brothers." Quests opened the show and played a mostly covers repertoire that took in contemporary British styles. They played seven numbers and for their finale covered the Easybeats "Friday On My Mind" which was a difficult song to do given its odd time shifts and jagged guitar riffs.

They stood well next to the British bands. Vernon said, "The Yardbirds were our idols from their first hit, "For Your Love". Meeting them softened the legs, let alone standby with them in readiness to go on stage. They had no airs and were very unassuming lads. When they went on stage they ripped everyone off their chairs. Especially Jimmy Page, extraordinarily dressed in Carnaby colours who ripped and raged on guitar with amplifier volumes we'd never heard till then. Keith Relf was outstanding both onstage and off stage and had the most charisma." Yardbirds playing had a long lasting impact on Reggie Verghese in particular as his guitar playing after that seemed to chart new sonic territories. Scott Walker of Walker Brothers also had a long lasting impact on Vernon Cornelius.

http://www.kiwi-us.com/~hitomi/singaporeanbandsnew.html

They had another honour too in January 1967 when they appeared at the

Yardbirds/Walker Brothers show, which was held at the National Theatre on

January 17. The Yardbirds that came to Singapore was the last line up

of Keith Relf (vocals, rhythm guitar, harp), Jimmy Page (lead), Chris Dreja

(bass) and Jim McCarty (drums). Unfortunately just before the show Henry father

passed away and Henry was in mourning. The band decided to get a replacement

bass player for the show.

http://progressive.homestead.com/files/quests.txt

Edited by PlanetPage

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

1967_kb_PhilJones.jpg

Just wondering, is that the drummer of the Electric Prunes?..or just a random topless guy..

Which Electric Prunes drummer, Michael Wesley

ElectricPrunes1.jpg

or Preston Ritter?

ElectricPrunes2.jpg

Better photos are difficult to find. What made you think so? I always caption this one

"Crikey! I've walked into the wrong bar, haven't I"

Well, if anyone can substantiate who it is I'd be grateful. This shot has always seemed too deliberate for it to have been a random encounter, but I don't know for certain.

This site stated:

While on tour with the Yardbirds Jimmy Page came to check out Phil Jones and the Unknown Blues at the Beethoven club, Sydney, January 1967.

And another photo

PHILJIMM.GIF

It seems the information and pictures come from Phil Jones himself.

Edited by glicine

It seems the information and pictures come from Phil Jones himself.

ohmy.gif

You always come through, glicine! Wow, isn't that something. The Yardbirds certainly did perform in Sydney on Jan 21 & 22 1967 and they had some time off that week. I don't think Jimmy's ever mentioned this, if he recalls.

You know me, I will look into this further. Thanks so much for assisting with putting these photographs into their proper historical context.

ohmy.gif

You always come through, glicine! Wow, isn't that something. The Yardbirds certainly did perform in Sydney on Jan 21 & 22 1967 and they had some time off that week. I don't think Jimmy's ever mentioned this, if he recalls.

You know me, I will look into this further. Thanks so much for assisting with putting these photographs into their proper historical context.

Glad I can help. :)

I'll be looking forward to your research.