The Yardbirds

Miar

On 3/12/2015 at 1:38 PM, sam_webmaster said:

The Yardbirds - October 22, 1967 - Wichita, Kansas - Cotillion Ballroom

(w/ The Frantics)

Apparently, Yardbirds' drummer Jim McCarty passed out during the show due to exhaustion. The drummer of the Frantics took over for the remainder of the set.

Cotillion-Ballroom-in-Wichita-Kansas---yardbirds.jpg

Cotillion-Ballroom-in-Wichita-Kansas---yardbirds-frantics-2.jpg

Based on the recent article in the Great Falls Tribune re the Montana '66 show, I would say these photos are from August 15th, 66.  The Frantics were the opening band. They may also have played Wichita in October 1967. 

1 hour ago, thozil said:

Based on the recent article in the Great Falls Tribune re the Montana '66 show, I would say these photos are from August 15th, 66.  The Frantics were the opening band. They may also have played Wichita in October 1967. 

The Great Falls show was 8/14/66 with press coverage the following day. 

The Wichita show was 10/22/67, and The Cotillion marquee establishes The Yardbirds were billed with The Frantics on that date.

Unsure about McCarty passing out in Wichita in '67 (apparently he did)...but he did pass out from heat exhaustion at the end of the show on 8/16/66 (at Hal-Baby's in Denver). Crystal Palace Guard was the support act and about 300 people attended.

4 hours ago, SteveAJones said:

The Great Falls show was 8/14/66 with press coverage the following day. 

The Wichita show was 10/22/67, and The Cotillion marquee establishes The Yardbirds were billed with The Frantics on that date.

Unsure about McCarty passing out in Wichita in '67 (apparently he did)...but he did pass out from heat exhaustion at the end of the show on 8/16/66 (at Hal-Baby's in Denver). Crystal Palace Guard was the support act and about 300 people attended.

I'm not disputing that the Frantics opened for the Yardbirds, or that the Yardbirds played in Wichita in 1967, but I think, based on what the Frantics themselves stated in the article, that the photos are from an August 15th, 1966 show in Wichita.

From the article :

The Frantics were touring with the Yardbirds during the time they stopped in Great Falls, and a written recollection compiled by the band includes some interesting tales. Page had just joined the Yardbirds in June of 1966 and was relatively unknown. It was also only a few months before Beck was fired from the band in October of the same year.

“Jimmy Page was a last-minute fill in bassist,” said the band’s recollection, “and we had previously never heard of him. We recalled how enthusiastic Jimmy was about his idea of playing double-lead guitar with Jeff Beck.”

One common theme is the sharing of equipment between the bands. At a gig in Wichita, Kan., the day after they played Great Falls, the band recalled:

“During their set, we remember Jim McCarty shouting to Jack, our drummer, “Jock, I’ve got no sticks.” Jack provided him several of his own. We shared the Vox equipment and Gary blew out Jimmy Page’s Super Beatle Amp, which didn’t faze Jimmy, as they had replacements.”

Although I have no info on the photo below it shows Jimmy with the same coat as in the first photo above, with Jeff Beck sitting next to him . So the coat would be part of Jimmy's wardrobe from 66. How can you be sure that the Frantics show was in 67?

jpjb66.jpg

Edited by thozil

4 hours ago, IpMan said:

I wonder how good of a bass player Jimmy was / is? 

Jeff Beck: "Jimmy took over on bass and it was awful. He really wasn't a bass player. He didn't have the physical, or...he didn't have the right approach for bass".

20 minutes ago, thozil said:

Jeff Beck: "Jimmy took over on bass and it was awful. He really wasn't a bass player. He didn't have the physical, or...he didn't have the right approach for bass".

Ha, I guess Jimmy figured, by any means necessary. 

10 hours ago, thozil said:

Depends which of Jeff's personalities is talking -  " Jimmy was very good. Good thrashing bass sound - but I knew it would work out that he'd become lead."

16 hours ago, thozil said:

How can you be sure that the Frantics show was in 67?

Simply because to the best of my knowledge, The Yardbirds did not perform in Wichita in 1966. I could be wrong. If they did play Wichita on 8/15/66 (the off day between Great Falls, MT and Denver, CO) that would be news to me.

1 hour ago, SteveAJones said:

Simply because to the best of my knowledge, The Yardbirds did not perform in Wichita in 1966. I could be wrong. If they did play Wichita on 8/15/66 (the off day between Great Falls, MT and Denver, CO) that would be news to me.

Not to beat a dead horse, but...

The caption under the photo from the article is:

Members of Montana band the Frantics are pictured here with Yardbirds members. From left to right, Chris Dreja, Don Mock, Jack Mills, Gary Eidet, Jimmy Page, Max Byfuglin and Kim Sherman.  

Below is a photo of the Frantics from June 1967 (only two members are the same - Max Byfuglin and Kim Sherman). They also look older in the photo. 

What I'm now wondering is if whether the Yardbirds even played in Wichita in 1967.

Frantics1967.jpg

• 1 month later...
On 8/25/2016 at 0:09 PM, thozil said:

The new footage starts at the 16 min mark... 

Wow, that's the first footage at least that I can remember ever seeing Jimmy Page on bass with Jeff Beck on lead guitar, pretty cool!

Edited by luvlz2

• 1 month later...

http://q1043.iheart.com/onair/jim-kerr-rock-roll-morning-show-11641/interview-jimmy-page-says-theres-more-15093452/

Fifteen years ago it was to be the Anderson Theatre material with some outtakes, etc. included. So it's pretty much the same as what he began discussing again last year. However, Dreja/McCarty had flatly opposed Jimmy getting a producer's credit (in 2001). I think a reasonable compromise would be let Page pick the producer and let Dreja/McCarty handle all of the promotional duties. In so doing, Jimmy can get the material properly released and Dreja/McCarty can reiterate that era was just one of many for the band. -- Steve A. Jones (September 15, 2016)

---------

Update: 30 Nov 2016

Jim McCarty just posted this on Facebook: "Just heard some new mixes of Yardbirds`tracks from 1968 plus a new mix of a famous concert from the same time - sounds great!"

----------

Jimmy may have conceded on a producer's credit if they achieved consensus on who should do the work instead and how much involvement he (Page) could have. I suspect the promotional duties will be McCarty dominated, as Dreja/McCarty will likely want to present this as one chapter among many in the band's history. 

Edited by SteveAJones

20 minutes ago, 76229 said:

This is good news. Are the CBS sessions being referred to the March '68 ones that turned up on Cumular Limit?

I don't have the Cumular Limit liner notes within arm's reach, but according to my notes the sessions were April 3, 4, & 5 1968 at Columbia Studios in New York. Recordings included 'Taking A Hold On Me' (Apr 3),  'Spanish Blood' (Apr 4) and 'Knowing That I'm Losing You' (Apr 4) and 'Avron Knows' (first version) / 'Avron Knows' (second version) / 'My Baby' (Apr 5). I do not know for certain what the studio track listing will be for this release, but it's quite likely it will be this material and more. According to Jim McCarty, this highly anticipated new release is still "under lock and key".

Here's the Cumular Limit release from about 16 years ago:

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/3/2016 at 5:04 PM, SteveAJones said:

I don't have the Cumular Limit liner notes within arm's reach, but according to my notes the sessions were April 3, 4, & 5 1968 at Columbia Studios in New York. Recordings included 'Taking A Hold On Me' (Apr 3),  'Spanish Blood' (Apr 4) and 'Knowing That I'm Losing You' (Apr 4) and 'Avron Knows' (first version) / 'Avron Knows' (second version) / 'My Baby' (Apr 5). I do not know for certain what the studio track listing will be for this release, but it's quite likely it will be this material and more. According to Jim McCarty, this highly anticipated new release is still "under lock and key".

Here's the Cumular Limit release from about 16 years ago:

I bought CL last year, did not notice the price until I got to the counter, cost me £25......

Edited by JTM

• 4 weeks later...
  • Administrators

Author Greg Russo released an updated version of his book: Yardbirds: The Ultimate Rave-Up (6th Edition).

Available here on his site: http://www.crossfirepublications.com/yardbirds.html

yard003b.jpg

Yardbirds: The Ultimate Rave-Up

BRAND NEW 6TH EDITION:  This is the definitive and authorized historical account of the extremely influential, blueswailing YARDBIRDS. With the successive guitar attacks of Eric Clapton, Jeff Beck and Jimmy Page, The Yardbirds as a unit reached uncharted territories in rock. In Yardbirds: The Ultimate Rave-Up you'll discover how The Yardbirds forged their own identity and left a lasting impression on music fans and musicians. Using The Yardbirds as their blueprint, many bands like Aerosmith and The Allman Brothers have incorporated Yardbirds techniques in creating their own identities.

Written by Greg Russo, liner notes author and compiler of Little Games Sessions & More (EMI), Cumular Limit (New Millennium), EMI's Little Games single CD, and the new 5-disc set Glimpses 1963-1968 (Easy Action), Yardbirds: The Ultimate Rave-Up reveals Greg's unique insider knowledge in a captivating written style. All of the band's members, past and present, have contributed to this edition. The book also includes full Yardbirds group and solo discographies, a detailed concert history, and 300+ Yardbirds-related photos and extremely rare record covers. The current lineup of the band is raving up about it!

$29.95 for printed book,
$10 for PDF (304 pages/300+ illustrations)