The Yardbirds

Miar

29 minutes ago, thozil said:

Great stuff Steve. Nice to see these.

I've been raiding Newspapers.com on a free seven day trial account. Unsure if I'll retain it as aside from a half dozen or so major markets all of the newspapers available to choose from come from Sticksville and Nowhere USA.

• 3 weeks later...

The Minneapolis Star (Minneapolis, MN) (August 8, 1966)

1966%2008%2008%20%20Minneapolis%20Star%2

Amarillo Globe-Times (Amarillo, TX) (August 11, 1966)

1966%2008%2011%20%20Amarillo%20Globe-Tim

Valley Morning Star (Harlingen, TX) (October 16, 1966)

1966%2010%2016%20%20Valley%20Morning%20S

The Pittsburgh Press (Pittsburgh, PA) (November 13, 1966)

1966%2011%2013%20%20Pittsburgh%20Press%2

Democrat & Chronicle (Rochester, NY) (December 25, 1966)

1966%2012%2025%20%20Democrat%20and%20Chr

Somerset Daily American (Somerset, PA) (December 27, 1966)

1966%2012%2027%20%20Somerset%20Daily%20A

Nashua Telegraph  (Nashua, NH) (January 6, 1967)

1967%2001%2006%20%20Nashua%20Telegraph%2

Los Angeles Times  (Los Angeles, CA) (July 25, 1967)

1967%2007%2025%20%20Los%20Angeles%20Time

Edited by SteveAJones

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Yardbirds Launch Pledge Campaign for New Album

By Jeff Giles August 2, 2017 9:43 AM

desktop.thumb.jpg.9060df48487aa2fed526abd8a16b4196.jpg

The Yardbirds are getting ready to record their next album -- and asking fans to "help preserve one of the founding most influential bands in rock history" along the way.

For its first studio effort since 2003's Birdland, the band is partnering with PledgeMusic to fund the release, which is being described as "a totally new recording of original songs with a couple of carefully selected covers done in the tradition of how the Yardbirds deconstructed, reconstructed old blues songs to bring them to a new wider audience." While a release date for the project hasn't been attached to the campaign yet, the group has already booked Jack Douglas for the sessions, promising that the renowned producer will be behind the boards for an analog recording tracked in a "state of the art' recording facility."

The current Yardbirds lineup, led by founding drummer Jim McCarty, is the result of an overhaul McCarty spearheaded in 2014. As he told Ultimate Classic Rock the following year, the new blood in the band added up to "quite an experiment" -- albeit one he was confident would deliver songs and performances that could stand up to the rest of the group's long legacy.

"I think the thing is that it's such a great repertoire and I don't think we're going to have any trouble with that level of musicianship -- It's going to be good," said McCarty. "It's quite energetic and it's such a good body of songs that really stand the test of time."

In addition to physical or digital copies of the new LP, fans can pre-order a number of deluxe packages, including signed vinyl or CDs and bundles that include a Yardbirds T-shirt or pin. Check out the band's PledgeMusic page for further details.

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/yardbirds-pledge-campaign/

Edited by luvlz2

• 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...
On 8/25/2016 at 3:38 PM, SteveAJones said:

The Great Falls show was 8/14/66 with press coverage the following day. 

The Wichita show was 10/22/67, and The Cotillion marquee establishes The Yardbirds were billed with The Frantics on that date.

Unsure about McCarty passing out in Wichita in '67 (apparently he did)...but he did pass out from heat exhaustion at the end of the show on 8/16/66 (at Hal-Baby's in Denver). Crystal Palace Guard was the support act and about 300 people attended.

I grew up in the vicinity of Wichita, KS.  When I heard on the radio that the Yardbirds were going to be at the Cotillion Ballroom in Wichita in 1966, I got a group of my friends together for a road trip.  I was 17 and the Cotillion served 3.2% beer, which required you to be 18.  Draft cards were easy to get from older brothers, so off we went.  Since I had For Your Love and the Rave Up albums, I knew what the group looked like.  The first act was pretty good.  Don’t remember who. Might have been a local band. In Wichita there were a plethora of quality rock bands.  Imagine my confusion when the band came out and I didn’t recognize the bass player.  Where’s Samwell-Smith?  Oh well, I forgot about that immediately as the band literally launched into Shape of Things.  My group of friends had debated on many occasions if the sounds from Beck’s guitar were “real” or from studio tricks.  That debated was soon settled. They played for about 45 minutes, took a break and did another shorter set.  First time I saw a guitar played with teeth!  I was absolutely blown away.  And that bass player who bounced around the stage in his long coat with lots of buttons. Who’s he??

So when I heard the next year (1967) that they were again going to be at the Cotillion, I had another road trip, except this time I was 18 so no need to have a fake ID.  The opening act was a group that I did not know.  They were good but I came to see Jeff Beck!  Again, imagine my disappointment when the Yardbirds came out on stage and no Jeff Beck and Chris was on bass and the bassist from 1966 was playing lead! I thought “ripped off”!  And again, that was quickly dispelled (mostly) when they started to play.  McCarty had stumbled up on stage and then passed out (drunk I think) at the end of the second or third number.  There was, of course, a stoppage.  Relf asked the crowd if there was anyone that could play the drums.  After about 20 minutes, the band came back on stage with a local drummer.  As I remember it, he played for a local bar band called “The California Connection.”  What was memorable about the rest of the show, other than Page’s playing, was that Jimmy stood near the drummer and would point the guitar at which cymbals and drums to hit and when during the songs.  One set of about an hour.  Although I was a little let down, I had to find out about this Page guy as he was phenomenal on guitar (like Beck) and figuratively played the drums at the same time.

2 hours ago, Steve Brosemer said:

I grew up in the vicinity of Wichita, KS.  When I heard on the radio that the Yardbirds were going to be at the Cotillion Ballroom in Wichita in 1966, I got a group of my friends together for a road trip.  I was 17 and the Cotillion served 3.2% beer, which required you to be 18.  Draft cards were easy to get from older brothers, so off we went.  Since I had For Your Love and the Rave Up albums, I knew what the group looked like.  The first act was pretty good.  Don’t remember who. Might have been a local band. In Wichita there were a plethora of quality rock bands.  Imagine my confusion when the band came out and I didn’t recognize the bass player.  Where’s Samwell-Smith?  Oh well, I forgot about that immediately as the band literally launched into Shape of Things.  My group of friends had debated on many occasions if the sounds from Beck’s guitar were “real” or from studio tricks.  That debated was soon settled. They played for about 45 minutes, took a break and did another shorter set.  First time I saw a guitar played with teeth!  I was absolutely blown away.  And that bass player who bounced around the stage in his long coat with lots of buttons. Who’s he??

So when I heard the next year (1967) that they were again going to be at the Cotillion, I had another road trip, except this time I was 18 so no need to have a fake ID.  The opening act was a group that I did not know.  They were good but I came to see Jeff Beck!  Again, imagine my disappointment when the Yardbirds came out on stage and no Jeff Beck and Chris was on bass and the bassist from 1966 was playing lead! I thought “ripped off”!  And again, that was quickly dispelled (mostly) when they started to play.  McCarty had stumbled up on stage and then passed out (drunk I think) at the end of the second or third number.  There was, of course, a stoppage.  Relf asked the crowd if there was anyone that could play the drums.  After about 20 minutes, the band came back on stage with a local drummer.  As I remember it, he played for a local bar band called “The California Connection.”  What was memorable about the rest of the show, other than Page’s playing, was that Jimmy stood near the drummer and would point the guitar at which cymbals and drums to hit and when during the songs.  One set of about an hour.  Although I was a little let down, I had to find out about this Page guy as he was phenomenal on guitar (like Beck) and figuratively played the drums at the same time.

Sorry, I don't believe a word of this. For one thing, The Yardbirds did not perform in Wichita in 1966. For another, there was no reason for them to blindly solicit a drummer from the audience in '67 as they could have used the drummer from The Frantics, their opening act. According to my notes, that's exactly what they did.

https://lostsoundsmontana.bandcamp.com/album/the-frantics-jb-productions-acetate-1967

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BPLQvgkfaz0   

• 1 month later...
On 4/22/2015 at 3:33 PM, sam_webmaster said:

The Yardbirds - Hunt Armory, Pittsburgh. August 16, 1967 - "Teen Fair"

The photographer sent me this, the only pic he has. (It's autographed on the back by JP).

I believe this is the first ever pic from this show?

post-5-0-40872300-1429741980_thumb.jpg

In August of 1967, the guitar was painted with the Dragon.   The circles were removed in April 1967.

• 2 months later...
On 4/28/2018 at 10:09 AM, Steve Brosemer said:

Dear Steve Brosemer.  I read with a great deal of enthusiasm your report about the Yardbirds and Wichita Kansas.  Let me start by saying how much I appreciated your comments about the warm up band for the Yardbirds (playing at the Cotillion for their first time in 8/66), that they were not bad.  I was the founder and drummer for the 'warm-up band' - The Pages.  We were but in 8th grade and chosen to be the warm up band.  We were hard driving British songs...........I'm a Man, My Generation etc.  As you are probably aware, Jimmy Page had just begun his stint with The Yardbirds but a few months before their appearance in Wichita.  There is some confusion, so let me clear it up.  The Yardbirds made their first appearance in Wichita, playing at the Cotillion ballroom in August of '66.  Within the first song or two of their opening, there was some confusion and a bit of panic, as their drummer, Jim McArty has passed out and the Yardbirds stopped playing.  They were behind the drummers seat and he was flat on the ground.  They cleared him off and took him to the dressing room adjoining the stage.  At that point, one of the Yardbirds, asked the audience if there was anyone whom could play drums and would sit in.  I was but in 8th grade.  My friends were urging me to get up there, but it was too much for me.  About that exact moment, another guy was walking up to the stage.  He was a local drummer, Neil McGaugh.  He played with a hard-driving band called The Outcasts.  They were the bad boy band of Wichita at that time.  He was older and really knew the songs.  He did a great job of filling in for McArty.  So let me summarize.  McArty passes out in 8/66, not in their return concert in '67.  How am I so certain that it was '66.  Because by '67, I had given up my band and drumming, as sports became a more important endeavor to me than the drums.  Now you know the rest of the story.

On 4/28/2018 at 12:42 PM, SteveAJones said:

Sorry, I don't believe a word of this. For one thing, The Yardbirds did not perform in Wichita in 1966. For another, there was no reason for them to blindly solicit a drummer from the audience in '67 as they could have used the drummer from The Frantics, their opening act. According to my notes, that's exactly what they did.

https://lostsoundsmontana.bandcamp.com/album/the-frantics-jb-productions-acetate-1967

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BPLQvgkfaz0   

Dear Steve A. Jones.  I read with interest your comment that you "don't believe a word of this".  Let me set you straight on the truth brother.  In 1966, I was an 8th grade drummer that had formed a local garage band called The Pages (in Wichita Kansas).  We were chosen to be the warm-up band for the first ever appearance of The Yardbirds in Wichita Kansas, playing at The Cotillion ballroom (still standing and packing em in with rock acts).  How do I recall that it was 1966 and not 1967.  By 1967, my band had dis-banded.  I had grown tired of the band and playing drums.  In '67, my interest turned to sports.  So, unlike your uninformed comment that the yardbirds did not play in Wichita in '66, you are most mistaken and uninformed.  Believe me brother, I was there.  Now then, here's an interesting story.  The dressing rooms at the cotillion adjoin the stage, but are not visible to the audience.  Our final song as warm-up band was The Yardbirds, I'm A Man.  We were playing the song, and from my view (as the drummer, I was behind my bandmates).  I could see the when the Yardbirds had filed out of their dressing room and were watching us play their song, from behind the partition that the audience could not see.  I can still vividly recall Jeff Beck with his foot up against the corridor wall tapping the song, as I was with the bass pedal on my drum.  They were kind of quietly clapping when we finished and that was quite a thrill.  So after the stage set, on come The Yardbirds.  They launched into their first song, and my recollection tells me that the drummer was off beat and something was wrong.  Within a few instances, Jim McArty was flat on his back behind his drum seat.  The music stopped and they were all attending to Jim.  Within a few minutes, they got Jim offstage and to the dressing room.  He was done and the concert had barely started.  One of the Yardbirds, got on the mic and asked if there was anyone whom knew how to play their songs on the drums.  I was in the front row, and my friends were urging me to raise up my hand.  While I knew their songs, I was just too young and intimidated by going up to do it.  At that time, another drummer was invited up.  His name was Neil McGaugh.  He was older than me.  I was 13 and he may have been college age.  He played with a great local band called The Outcasts.  They were the 'bad boy' band in Wichita at that time.  Neil sat in for the set(s?) and did a great job.  So I hope I have cleared this up for you.  It appears to me that you are getting your years, times and events mixed up.  The event was in '66 and my band was the local warm up act at that time.  and YES, the did use the local drummer Neil McGaugh (whom passed away in '99).  There are lots of rumors still exist today that The Yardbirds solicited Neil to join them, but I suspect that is just local folk-lore from here in town.  Ask Jim, he may know.

Edited by Michael B

4 hours ago, Michael B said:

Dear Steve A. Jones.  I read with interest your comment that you "don't believe a word of this".  Let me set you straight on the truth brother.  In 1966, I was an 8th grade drummer that had formed a local garage band called The Pages (in Wichita Kansas).  We were chosen to be the warm-up band for the first ever appearance of The Yardbirds in Wichita Kansas, playing at The Cotillion ballroom (still standing and packing em in with rock acts).  How do I recall that it was 1966 and not 1967.  By 1967, my band had dis-banded.  I had grown tired of the band and playing drums.  In '67, my interest turned to sports.  So, unlike your uninformed comment that the yardbirds did not play in Wichita in '66, you are most mistaken and uninformed.  Believe me brother, I was there.  Now then, here's an interesting story.  The dressing rooms at the cotillion adjoin the stage, but are not visible to the audience.  Our final song as warm-up band was The Yardbirds, I'm A Man.  We were playing the song, and from my view (as the drummer, I was behind my bandmates).  I could see the when the Yardbirds had filed out of their dressing room and were watching us play their song, from behind the partition that the audience could not see.  I can still vividly recall Jeff Beck with his foot up against the corridor wall tapping the song, as I was with the bass pedal on my drum.  They were kind of quietly clapping when we finished and that was quite a thrill.  So after the stage set, on come The Yardbirds.  They launched into their first song, and my recollection tells me that the drummer was off beat and something was wrong.  Within a few instances, Jim McArty was flat on his back behind his drum seat.  The music stopped and they were all attending to Jim.  Within a few minutes, they got Jim offstage and to the dressing room.  He was done and the concert had barely started.  One of the Yardbirds, got on the mic and asked if there was anyone whom knew how to play their songs on the drums.  I was in the front row, and my friends were urging me to raise up my hand.  While I knew their songs, I was just too young and intimidated by going up to do it.  At that time, another drummer was invited up.  His name was Neil McGaugh.  He was older than me.  I was 13 and he may have been college age.  He played with a great local band called The Outcasts.  They were the 'bad boy' band in Wichita at that time.  Neil sat in for the set(s?) and did a great job.  So I hope I have cleared this up for you.  It appears to me that you are getting your years, times and events mixed up.  The event was in '66 and my band was the local warm up act at that time.  and YES, the did use the local drummer Neil McGaugh (whom passed away in '99).  There are lots of rumors still exist today that The Yardbirds solicited Neil to join them, but I suspect that is just local folk-lore from here in town.  Ask Jim, he may know.

These stories always go a bridge too far, in this instance that this alleged drummer was so good The Yardbirds asked him to join the band. I know what I said, but let me be clear about what I meant. There is still no proven confirmation that The Yardbirds performed in Wichita in 1966. I do show the drummer from The Frantics filled in on drums in Wichita in 1967.

On 8/21/2018 at 3:02 AM, SteveAJones said:

These stories always go a bridge too far, in this instance that this alleged drummer was so good The Yardbirds asked him to join the band. I know what I said, but let me be clear about what I meant. There is still no proven confirmation that The Yardbirds performed in Wichita in 1966. I do show the drummer from The Frantics filled in on drums in Wichita in 1967.

Thank you for calling me a liar and for only believing what you read on the web in terms of the Yardbirds tour schedule. I get it now.  If you read in a book that the moon was made of green cheese, then it must be, regardless of incontrovertible evidence. I tried to enlighten you to the truth of the matter, but you only prefer to believe a book.  Go ahead, but I really must tell you that the moon is not made out of green cheese,, but you just keep clinging to your book and whatever it says.   You must be a complete droit to not choose to believe someone whom was there and saw it.  You have no idea if the Yardbirds did or did not choose to speak to the Wichita drummer about joining their band, other than some hysteria on your part, that you beleive couldn't possibly be true.  Quite frankly, I don't believe a word you have written  No one could be that foolish.  .  I also think you owe Steve Brosemer a matter of apolgy for calling him a liar as well.  Here is what I would like you to do Mr. Know-It-All.  Go on Facebook to a site called Kansas Music Hall of Fame.  Join and then post that you do not believe for one moment that the Yardbirds played at the Cotillion in 8/66, and that you also do not believe it ever happened that the Yardbirds drummer passed out and had to be replaced by local drummer Neil McGaugh.................go ahead..............say it...............say that you don't believe that one word of it ever happened.  And then prepare for the onslaught and laughter.

1 hour ago, reids said:

The MacLean's Toothpaste ad is completely new to me. I wonder what era of the Yardbirds it's from? The toothpaste was available in the US.

This is the original vinyl: (https://www.popsike.com/MACLEANS-TOOTHPASTE-66-RADIO-JINGLES-LP-THE-YARDBIRDS/120063677723.html )...my guess is 66, maybe Jeff Beck, but could also be session musicians with just Keith Relf.

120063677723.jpg

Edited by thozil
update