The Yardbirds

Miar

On ‎8‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 11:56 AM, Michael B said:

Thank you for calling me a liar and for only believing what you read on the web in terms of the Yardbirds tour schedule. I get it now.  If you read in a book that the moon was made of green cheese, then it must be, regardless of incontrovertible evidence. I tried to enlighten you to the truth of the matter, but you only prefer to believe a book.  Go ahead, but I really must tell you that the moon is not made out of green cheese,, but you just keep clinging to your book and whatever it says.   You must be a complete droit to not choose to believe someone whom was there and saw it.  You have no idea if the Yardbirds did or did not choose to speak to the Wichita drummer about joining their band, other than some hysteria on your part, that you beleive couldn't possibly be true.  Quite frankly, I don't believe a word you have written  No one could be that foolish.  .  I also think you owe Steve Brosemer a matter of apolgy for calling him a liar as well.  Here is what I would like you to do Mr. Know-It-All.  Go on Facebook to a site called Kansas Music Hall of Fame.  Join and then post that you do not believe for one moment that the Yardbirds played at the Cotillion in 8/66, and that you also do not believe it ever happened that the Yardbirds drummer passed out and had to be replaced by local drummer Neil McGaugh.................go ahead..............say it...............say that you don't believe that one word of it ever happened.  And then prepare for the onslaught and laughter.

Reading comprehension is not a strength for you. Next. 🙄

19 hours ago, thozil said:

The MacLean's Toothpaste ad is completely new to me. I wonder what era of the Yardbirds it's from? The toothpaste was available in the US.

This is the original vinyl: (https://www.popsike.com/MACLEANS-TOOTHPASTE-66-RADIO-JINGLES-LP-THE-YARDBIRDS/120063677723.html )...my guess is 66, maybe Jeff Beck, but could also be session musicians with just Keith Relf.

120063677723.jpg

The track on the MacLeans Toothpaste advert sounds like a variation of "Happenings Ten Years Time Ago" by the Beck/Page version of the band, although it doesn't sound like either of them are playing on the track IMO.

Edited by mysticman560

18 hours ago, SteveAJones said:

Reading comprehension is not a strength for you. Next. 🙄

You are nothing but a twit................Oh, I just said that it is not listed on some book I read.  I never said that it didn't happen.  I hope you go back to your meds.  I know exactly what you wrote, but you are not even man enough to admit it.  Next.

7 minutes ago, Michael B said:

You are nothing but a twit................Oh, I just said that it is not listed on some book I read.  I never said that it didn't happen.  I hope you go back to your meds.  I know exactly what you wrote, but you are not even man enough to admit it.  Next.

No one really wants to be exposed to the bickering and arguing, it's ruining this thread. Please take it elsewhere. Thank you!

15 hours ago, Michael B said:

Chill out man ..this isn’t Twitter 

• Administrators
1 hour ago, Paganini said:

EAFC3DF3-0EE4-4657-A31A-A41DFE29FBA3.jpeg

Anyone know where this was taken ?

Photographer Roy Lewis  -  "Photo of the Yardbirds in performance at the Village Theater (later the Fillmore East) in November, 1967. A friend and I rented a Nikon rangefinder and then convinced the staff that we were press so that we could shoot from the wings of the theater. Got this moment of Jimmy Page ripping out a solo."

jimmy-page-and-the-yardbirds-1967-roy-lewis.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I haven't seen this mentioned anywhere yet...Jim McCarty has written an autobiography called "Nobody Told Me: My Life with the Yardbirds, Renaissance and Other Stories" , and the introduction is by Jimmy Page. It is pricey...

Nobody Told Me: My Life with the Yardbirds, Renaissance and Other Stories

Here's the link to purchase: http://www.lulu.com/ca/en/shop/jim-mccarty-and-dave-thompson/nobody-told-me-my-life-with-the-yardbirds-renaissance-and-other-stories/paperback/product-23700764.html

On 8/21/2018 at 4:02 AM, SteveAJones said:

...There is still no proven confirmation that The Yardbirds performed in Wichita in 1966. ...

Archives for the Wichita Beacon are available for a fee here. Even without paying for access, from the small previews, it's clear that the Yardbirds played Wichita in both 1966 and 1967 (and Jim McCarty collapsed during the show in 67). 

Wichita Beacon, August 12th, 1966: English Rock  The Yardbirds, an English (band?) with five hits to their credit (will play in?) Wichita Monday [August 15th, 1966] for a KLEO (radio?) dance at the Cotilion Ballroom. The dance will be from 7 ... and the group will give two performances during the evening -on(?)...another at 10pm.

Wichita Beacon, October 11th, 1967: TEEN DANCE will be held Sunday [October 22nd, 1967] at the ...will feature a battle of the bands to... to play with The Yardbirds Oct 22nd;...

Wichita Beacon, October 18th, 1967: THE YARDBIRDS will play ...at the Cotillion. Also playing ... Secret and the Avalons, two w(inners of the?) battle of the bands. Admission .... from 6 to 10 p.m. Advance ....at the Record Shop, 221 E. Wi...(and at?) the Cotillion.

Wichita Beacon, October 25th, 1967:  ...Complying with the adage "The show must go on," The Yardbirds finished their performance Sunday without their drummer. During their first set, Jim McCarty collapsed on his drums and was rushed backstage and then to the hospital. ...

7 hours ago, thozil said:

Archives for the Wichita Beacon are available for a fee here. Even without paying for access, from the small previews, it's clear that the Yardbirds played Wichita in both 1966 and 1967 (and Jim McCarty collapsed during the show in 67). 

Wichita Beacon, August 12th, 1966: English Rock  The Yardbirds, an English (band?) with five hits to their credit (will play in?) Wichita Monday [August 15th, 1966] for a KLEO (radio?) dance at the Cotilion Ballroom. The dance will be from 7 ... and the group will give two performances during the evening -on(?)...another at 10pm.

Wichita Beacon, October 11th, 1967: TEEN DANCE will be held Sunday [October 22nd, 1967] at the ...will feature a battle of the bands to... to play with The Yardbirds Oct 22nd;...

Wichita Beacon, October 18th, 1967: THE YARDBIRDS will play ...at the Cotillion. Also playing ... Secret and the Avalons, two w(inners of the?) battle of the bands. Admission .... from 6 to 10 p.m. Advance ....at the Record Shop, 221 E. Wi...(and at?) the Cotillion.

Wichita Beacon, October 25th, 1967:  ...Complying with the adage "The show must go on," The Yardbirds finished their performance Sunday without their drummer. During their first set, Jim McCarty collapsed on his drums and was rushed backstage and then to the hospital. ...

Great find. I'll pay for archive access this weekend to retrieve the articles. We know they took a plane to the show in Great Falls, MT the day prior, so they must have been flown down to Wichita, KS to make this date.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On ‎9‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 7:46 PM, SteveAJones said:

Great find. I'll pay for archive access this weekend to retrieve the articles. 

1. Wichita Beacon, August 12, 1966.

2. Wichita Beacon, October 4, 1967.

3. Wichita Beacon, October 11, 1967.

4. Wichita Beacon, October 18, 1967.

5. Wichita Beacon, October 25, 1967.

Courtesy Steve A. Jones Archive

1966 08 12  Wichita Beacon (Wichita, KS).png

1967 10 04  Wichita Beacon (Wichita, KS).png

1967 10 11  Wichita Beacon (Wichita, KS).png

1967 10 18  Wichita Beacon (Wichita, KS).png

1967 10 25  Wichita Beacon (Wichita, KS).png

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

* NEW DATE *

Sat, August 12, 1967  Mountain Park in Holyoke, MA

Hartford Courant (Hartford, CT) (August 4, 1967)

Berkshire Eagle (Pittsfield, MA) (August 11, 1967)

Mountain Park billboard

Mountain Park circa 1966-67

1967 08 04  Hartford Courant (Hartford, CT).jpg

1967 08 11  Berkshire Eagle (Pittsfield, MA).jpg

0f35faf4ffac6646f5110e220b0a9dbd.jpg

1966.jpg

Edited by SteveAJones

• Administrators
36 minutes ago, SteveAJones said:

* NEW DATE *

Sat, August 12, 1967  Mountain Park in Holyoke, MA

Hi Steve - Aug 12, 1967 date is listed in Greg Russo's Yardbirds book. Just checked the latest version I have.

1 hour ago, sam_webmaster said:

Hi Steve - Aug 12, 1967 date is listed in Greg Russo's Yardbirds book. Just checked the latest version I have.

Hi, Sam. Fair enough. It seems I need to acquire the latest version of his book. If this date is in the first edition then I've completely overlooked it. 

• Administrators
42 minutes ago, SteveAJones said:

Hi, Sam. Fair enough. It seems I need to acquire the latest version of his book. If this date is in the first edition then I've completely overlooked it. 

Don't think it's in the first edition.

14 hours ago, sam_webmaster said:

Don't think it's in the first edition.

Do you show any confirmed gigs between 12/28/66 (Peoria, IL) and 1/7/67 (Lowell, MA)? I don't yet it's clear they were in the USA during this time. The Daily Mail (1/10/67) reported they attended a Buffalo Springfield gig at Ondine Discotheque in New York and Record Mirror (12/31/66) reported they left London for Singapore on 1/15/67. With one or two single date exceptions, such as the infamous Luton 7/7/68, this seems to be the only remaining "lengthy period" of Page era Yardbirds history that hasn't quite been nailed down yet.