Obsession? Midlife Crisis?

zengac

When I was 18 in '83 my girlfriend at the time would get so pissed off at me because I was always cranking Zeppelin. She hated them. I can still remember saying to her that when I am 80, if I live that long, I will still be cranking Zeppelin. I even gave her rare Zeppelin t-shirt to wear once and she threw it out. (It was a white and had the same logo as Coca-Cola but instead said Led Zeppelin in the same font - and said something like The Real Thing underneath)

Well she's long gone and I still get goosebumps listening to Since I've been Loving You, The Rover and the rest.

I'm hopelessly addicted and happy about it. I play so, much Zeppelin my kids sigh and crank up their own music. My daughter was teasing me just the other day and said "i think you SAY Led Zeppelin at least once everyday." I better not tell her it's hear teenage hearing that only actually hears me say it once ouf of the 15 other times I say it :P.

This thread is an awesome and interesting read! And I must also add my LZ story. It is not so interesting like the stories of the most of you, because I´m newbie, but it is something about the "Obsession"

I know LZ already 30 years and I have always liked their beautiful music, it was so psychedelic and dreamy and also rocking and rolling! I had one album, it was the first from 1969. My favorite was "You shook me",. this song has got me! Robert´s voice "copying" Jimmy´s guitar was killing me-wow!

Two years ago I have bought the Remasters CD, I love it. And some weeks ago I had a conversation with my brother. He told me about his love to LZ songs and we started to talk about them. I decided to find out something more about them. I went to our public library to lend me a book about them. And there I saw him- blonde locks, this sexy pose- my heart did BANG! In the evening I started to search on You Tube for some LZ videos and I saw them for the first time live performing. Robert´s action took my breath away, it was incredible, this charme, this energy and this charisma. Later I got the "Live at Earl´s court" DVD and it was definitive- I was hopelessly in love with him.

This is a little crazy, because I know that he is so young in all those videos, that he could be nearly my son! LOL. But I can´t help myself. To dream about him is so wonderfull!

Do you think I´m crazy? Or am I normal? Or better- what is the definition of NORMAL?

The music of LZ makes me happy- it is beautiful- what can I say?

I go to the nature for the Easter holidays and I´m wondering what will you write me about it. Do you think Im crazy or not?´:D

Hello everyone! Sorry I haven't been around in a while.. just been busy at work. I love all these great post. I just knew I couldn't be alone! Glad to know there are so many others who feel the same way. I'm still obsessed and plan to be forever! To hell with what those who don't get it think, right?! More power to us Zep fans! Love live Led Zeppelin!!! :D

I'm actually wondering what the heck "I go to the nature" means.

Well, it sounds cool, anyway.

I dont think I've seen this thread. I'm glad I'm not the only one on a Zeppelin freakout that almost rivals the one I had in my teens. I got into them in the 80's and was obsessed for about 5 years straight. Listening to all those great albums again has been such a pleasure. I'm glad the internet wasn't around 20-25 years ago, or I never would have left the house! Zeppelin gets into your conciousness and under you skin. I can relate to the person who said they fell asleep with the songs in their head and it led to all kinds of images. I think Carly Simon must have wrote "Nobody Does it Better" for them :lol: Sometimes I wish someone would!

This thread is an awesome and interesting read! And I must also add my LZ story. It is not so interesting like the stories of the most of you, because I´m newbie, but it is something about the "Obsession"

I know LZ already 30 years and I have always liked their beautiful music, it was so psychedelic and dreamy and also rocking and rolling! I had one album, it was the first from 1969. My favorite was "You shook me",. this song has got me! Robert´s voice "copying" Jimmy´s guitar was killing me-wow!

Two years ago I have bought the Remasters CD, I love it. And some weeks ago I had a conversation with my brother. He told me about his love to LZ songs and we started to talk about them. I decided to find out something more about them. I went to our public library to lend me a book about them. And there I saw him- blonde locks, this sexy pose- my heart did BANG! In the evening I started to search on You Tube for some LZ videos and I saw them for the first time live performing. Robert´s action took my breath away, it was incredible, this charme, this energy and this charisma. Later I got the "Live at Earl´s court" DVD and it was definitive- I was hopelessly in love with him.

This is a little crazy, because I know that he is so young in all those videos, that he could be nearly my son! LOL. But I can´t help myself. To dream about him is so wonderfull!

Do you think I´m crazy? Or am I normal? Or better- what is the definition of NORMAL?

The music of LZ makes me happy- it is beautiful- what can I say?

I go to the nature for the Easter holidays and I´m wondering what will you write me about it. Do you think Im crazy or not?´ :D

What else is there to say, you sum it up in one sentence. :D Around here you are perfectly normal, for sure.

Enjoy nature, it's the perfect time for it!

Well, it sounds cool, anyway.

I dont think I've seen this thread. I'm glad I'm not the only one on a Zeppelin freakout that almost rivals the one I had in my teens. I got into them in the 80's and was obsessed for about 5 years straight. Listening to all those great albums again has been such a pleasure. I'm glad the internet wasn't around 20-25 years ago, or I never would have left the house! Zeppelin gets into your conciousness and under you skin. I can relate to the person who said they fell asleep with the songs in their head and it led to all kinds of images. I think Carly Simon must have wrote "Nobody Does it Better" for them :lol: Sometimes I wish someone would!

My dad husband just came in to remind me to leave the computer because it's a beautiful day and I need to spend time outside... :lol:

I'm actually wondering what the heck "I go to the nature" means.

I will explain it! :)

My boyfriend and me-we are great fans of trekking and we wanted to make a 3-day trip with a group of our friends. We wanted to sleep in the cottage of one of the friends. But I´m back again, because our golden retriever, who was with us, has a hemorrhage on his leg and cannot walk.

So I will spend the rest of the weekend on my PC surfing the net- especially this site! :)

I´m so happy, that I´m normal! Because I have sometimes doubts about! :D

My family is used to it- how somebody told here- it is better than a drug addiction or alcohol!

I´m already LZ addict- I´m a big fan about three weeks, but I have already got another 4 albums from our boys, 2 DVD´s and 3 days ago I have ordered in internet 2 another DVD´s and also a biography book!

I find them awesome, more than before, though I know them for a long time.

Some days ago I have spent the night with downloading various pics of Rob and the whole group. I went sleep at 2:00 am and at 5:45 I had to go to work. Can you imagine my working day? I nearly fell asleep in my office! :D :D

So, that is it! I´m so glad, that I´m not the only one. You all fans here are great and it is wonderfull to have such passion. Your enthusiasm is cool!

And I think, that the people, who say we are crazy, are only jealous, because they have no deeper sense of life!

First post to this Zep site - so hello everyone!

Echoing the well thought out sentiments by the previous posters, I've loved LZ since I was a high school kid: cranking the Zep through the t-tops of an old boyfriend's bitchin' Camaro, watching in awe at the "fifth member" of the band with my girlfriends during our ritual attendance at midnight showings of TSRTS, driving my parents nuts with the decibel level I could muster out of that old stereo (god bless them, they actually bought the instruments of their torture. My southern old-school dad was especially dubious about the cover art on HotH that was a beacon under the Christmas tree). I loved (and still do) many different bands, so long as they rocked, but no one ever came close to LZ in my heart.

After much thought, I can pinpoint two rational reasons for my accelerated infatuation with the greatest band ever.

1- I missed seeing them in '77 at the Super Dome because Karac died, and again as a freshman in college when Bonzo died in '80. To have been so close to seeing them, then have it ripped away at the last moment was extremely painful. I can still remember exactly where I was when I heard about both devastating events and how much I cried. When the band issued the "break-up" statement later that year, I closed that chapter in my life, resigned that it would always be a huge regret. I've listened to the music all these years, but with less intensity, because it always reminded me of .....cheesy Zeppelin paraphrase alert..... what is and what (w)ould never be. With the brilliant success of the O2 show and the swirling rumors of a tour - all of that buried teen passion bubbled right back up to the surface.

2- Speaking of teens, I have an "almost one" at home and I weep for the state of music today. The "punk rock" they all listen to is vacuous, pop-py and just plain bad. It is my fervent wish that the band will tour and have the opportunity to personally influence one last generation of music fans. She won't go to a show but other kids will, and maybe Zep's unique spirit will encourage them to sing their own songs their way. As I survey today's musical landscape, I can't imagine anything she listens today will have the staying power to make her smile, shed a tear, or feel the same way she does today when she is my age. Led Zeppelin does that for me and I'll be very sad if some new bands don't come along that can give her that gift.

There you have it - my story in a rather large nutshell. Others may think I'm crazy.... Fromage Alert #2.... I don't care what the neighbors say, I'm gonna love (them) each and every day!

First post to this Zep site - so hello everyone!

Echoing the well thought out sentiments by the previous posters, I've loved LZ since I was a high school kid: cranking the Zep through the t-tops of an old boyfriend's bitchin' Camaro, watching in awe at the "fifth member" of the band with my girlfriends during our ritual attendance at midnight showings of TSRTS, driving my parents nuts with the decibel level I could muster out of that old stereo (god bless them, they actually bought the instruments of their torture. My southern old-school dad was especially dubious about the cover art on HotH that was a beacon under the Christmas tree). I loved (and still do) many different bands, so long as they rocked, but no one ever came close to LZ in my heart.

After much thought, I can pinpoint two rational reasons for my accelerated infatuation with the greatest band ever.

1- I missed seeing them in '77 at the Super Dome because Karac died, and again as a freshman in college when Bonzo died in '80. To have been so close to seeing them, then have it ripped away at the last moment was extremely painful. I can still remember exactly where I was when I heard about both devastating events and how much I cried. When the band issued the "break-up" statement later that year, I closed that chapter in my life, resigned that it would always be a huge regret. I've listened to the music all these years, but with less intensity, because it always reminded me of .....cheesy Zeppelin paraphrase alert..... what is and what (w)ould never be. With the brilliant success of the O2 show and the swirling rumors of a tour - all of that buried teen passion bubbled right back up to the surface.

2- Speaking of teens, I have an "almost one" at home and I weep for the state of music today. The "punk rock" they all listen to is vacuous, pop-py and just plain bad. It is my fervent wish that the band will tour and have the opportunity to personally influence one last generation of music fans. She won't go to a show but other kids will, and maybe Zep's unique spirit will encourage them to sing their own songs their way. As I survey today's musical landscape, I can't imagine anything she listens today will have the staying power to make her smile, shed a tear, or feel the same way she does today when she is my age. Led Zeppelin does that for me and I'll be very sad if some new bands don't come along that can give her that gift.

There you have it - my story in a rather large nutshell. Others may think I'm crazy.... Fromage Alert #2.... I don't care what the neighbors say, I'm gonna love (them) each and every day!

What a lovely post! Welcome to the boards. :beer:

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not obsessed, but i have loved Led Zeppelin and many other classic/hard rock bands since 1977. Now when i was a teenager i could have been classified as obsessed i guess. Led Zeppelin's music is timeless. No need to be ashamed of your devotion to them, they rock!

I am absolutely obsessed lately with this band! I was back in 1980 (was only 13 years old then)... I had every single album, poster, t-shirt, etc. and had to know every single thing I could about them. But of course, we didn't have the internet then. Plus I had never seen them perform live. I've always loved them but I guess some of my obsession died down for a while... Well, with the buzz about this upcoming concert, Mothership, the VH1 Classics show, etc., my obsession is worse then ever! I literally have been listening to them all day, every day... and I'm not even close to being sick of it! I think my family thinks I'm nuts. Is this normal?? :o I'm chalking it up to my mid life crisis... hey, I could think of worse things to obsess over! I know my Zeppelin friends on this board will totally understand but I need some reassurance that I'm not crazy!! This band is just sooooo addictive.. I just can't get enough of them!!! :P

TSRTS

• 4 weeks later...

TSRTS

Well it's nice to be around friends! My husband says I am reliving my childhood. I say so what I had a blast! I didn't know him them. In high school this is all we listened to. Stairway to Heaven was also our prom theme. What's wrong with fantasizing? We all have to have a dream or at least a vivid imagination. JP does it for me. I love his silver hair. I am obsessed also welcome to the club. :rolleyes:

• 3 weeks later...
Let's just call it our second childhood....I was way overdue for mine, and this is it! I don't believe it will ever stop, either :D

Second childhood...that works for me...Can you imagine any other music that makes you fell so happy other than LZ.....I cant...yes i am a zeppoholic>>>and proud of it>>>>>>>>

I think Carly Simon must have wrote "Nobody Does it Better" for them :lol: Sometimes I wish someone would!

Oh Suz *slapslap* You're terrible with your singer/songwriter knowledge

Marvin Hamlisch and Carole Bayer-Sager wrote "Nobody Does It Better" Carly Simon just sung it :P

Marvin was Barbra Streissand's songwriter (and he also wrote the musical A Chorus Line, and also appeared in an episode of The Nanny once...)

And Carole Bayer-Sager was married to Burt Bacharach and wrote songs with him "That's What Friends Are For" and "Arthur's Theme" are notable examples ;)

Archived