Obsession? Midlife Crisis?

zengac

You all described me to a T so I don't need to reiterate. We could start a Zeppaholics Anonymous club but it sounds like it's an addiction none of us want to quit. ;)

Like the band name, Leddy!

Cheers :)

Hi Motherhen~~

Your username is "cracking" me up; I'm laughing so hard my sides hurt. :hysterical: The funniest part is that just yesterday I was chatting with a friend about the "Mother Hen Syndrome" that one encounters so frequently on these fan forums. Maybe not this one but on other ones that I belong to. And now I see you here....ba-da-bing! It's like the universe is sending me validation, LOLOL :D:D I sure do enjoy meeting "peeps" like you! (groan....*ducks for cover*)

:chickeddance::hysterical::chickeddance::hysterical::chickeddance:

Hey Angel,

I guess there is another thing that this old lady doesn't know about. What is the Mother Hen Syndrome on the fan forums? My sister gave me that nicname yrs ago when our mother told me to keep an eye on her. (We were in our teens then). She called me an old mother hen for following her around and trying to keep her out of trouble. The name stuck ever since. But please fill me in on the other meaning. I want a good laugh too.

Motherhen

Hey Angel,

I guess there is another thing that this old lady doesn't know about. What is the Mother Hen Syndrome on the fan forums? My sister gave me that nicname yrs ago when our mother told me to keep an eye on her. (We were in our teens then). She called me an old mother hen for following her around and trying to keep her out of trouble. The name stuck ever since. But please fill me in on the other meaning. I want a good laugh too.

Motherhen

Yeah, it's like that. Whenever a comment is made about the artist that could even remotely be interpreted as demeaning....or even any negative comment about the artist in general.....then the same few fans immediately rush to his (hers, their) defense, like they are trying to protect their young. I don't know how the "hen" part originated; it could be the mother lion, or bear, or any species couldn't it?

I'm a member at many discussion boards for Classical Crossover musicians....I have a particular fondness for hot, sexy Italian and one Greek tenors. {insert a drooling emoticon here} The memberlist at those sites are predominantly older women, there is hardly ever any men who post, and you should see the flaming mayhem begin if anyone makes a less than stellar comment about the celeb.

I find it extremely amusing because I started out many years ago as a Mother Hen but I seen the light, glory hallelujah, and reformed my ways!! LOL

Welcome to this forum, I'm a relative newcomer myself (at least with chatting, was a lurker for long time).....once people get to know me they will see that I rarely take anything too seriously. B) I like the story behind your username.....old lady, haaa.....I'm one too. ;)

I can totally relate. I was starting to think I was in a mid-life crisis as well. Hmmm... ok really I think I am. Although I'm going to call it a Third-life crisis. :D

Let's just call it our second childhood....I was way overdue for mine, and this is it! I don't believe it will ever stop, either :D

Hey Angel,

Thanks for the answer about the mother hen syndrome. Don't worry, my nic only applies to my children now. LOL But thanks again for the explanation. :D

:D:D:D

Let's just call it our second childhood....I was way overdue for mine, and this is it! I don't believe it will ever stop, either :D

Like the saying goes, "It's never too late to have a happy childhood". :D

Good day to all!!!

I am absolutely obsessed lately with this band! I was back in 1980 (was only 13 years old then)... I had every single album, poster, t-shirt, etc. and had to know every single thing I could about them. But of course, we didn't have the internet then. Plus I had never seen them perform live. I've always loved them but I guess some of my obsession died down for a while... Well, with the buzz about this upcoming concert, Mothership, the VH1 Classics show, etc., my obsession is worse then ever! I literally have been listening to them all day, every day... and I'm not even close to being sick of it! I think my family thinks I'm nuts. Is this normal?? :o I'm chalking it up to my mid life crisis... hey, I could think of worse things to obsess over! I know my Zeppelin friends on this board will totally understand but I need some reassurance that I'm not crazy!! This band is just sooooo addictive.. I just can't get enough of them!!! :P

It's also called mesmorizing or hypnotising. If you resonate with one Zeppelin tune, you will be attracted to all the other ones too...its part of the magic of zeppelin...and the fact that every tune has part of another tune in it. If you like Over the hills and far away....ten years gone is practically the same tune with a slightly different solo. If you like heart breaker your also going to like the ocean, etc etc etc....its all connected riff wise.

Hence "The Song Remains The Same" roflmao...................

You were 13 in 1980, well I was 23. So I guess that makes me an old man. No grey hair yet and still feel like Im much younger. And I know how you feel about never getting sick of Zeppelin. I dont listen deliberatley for lengths of time just to make sure i wont ever get sick of it but I dont think its possible. I know how you feel about people around you too. I know alot of people that are close to me that are into that country music. (f---cking hillbilly BS!!) I hate it. Ever notice they have to sell their music with all these hot looking women in their videos? I guess sex sells.

Old man??? Nah, never!! Glad I'm not the only one who doesn't seem to tire of LZ. If it hasn't happened yet, I guess it never will. I could think of way worse thingsto be hooked on though!!

Well this has made me feel a whole lot better....my friends, my husband and daughters look at me as if I'm from another planet!!

Husband bought me the DVD last Christmas and I was really getting back into them when the Reunion Concert was announced....sat up half the night to register ...but played by the rules only registered the once in my own name and wasn't lucky enough to get a ticket....devasted for days...but got over it with the aid of alcohol!!

I consider myself really lucky as I saw them in Manchester Dec 72...I was very young!!!!!!! First concert I went to and what a way to start...ears rang for days as I'd been right at the front by the stage and next to speakers that went up to the roof...god it was loud but fantastic...and what a view of Robert! I really didn't appreciate at the time just how lucky I was to see them at a small venue like that!

Listen to the albums all the time...in the car...at home...in the office...watch the DVD in bed dose off into pleasant dreams......yes I'm sure I'm having a mid life crisis...but how can I be I feel like a teenager!! :rolleyes:

I am absolutely obsessed lately with this band! I was back in 1980 (was only 13 years old then)... I had every single album, poster, t-shirt, etc. and had to know every single thing I could about them. But of course, we didn't have the internet then. Plus I had never seen them perform live. I've always loved them but I guess some of my obsession died down for a while... Well, with the buzz about this upcoming concert, Mothership, the VH1 Classics show, etc., my obsession is worse then ever! I literally have been listening to them all day, every day... and I'm not even close to being sick of it! I think my family thinks I'm nuts. Is this normal?? :o I'm chalking it up to my mid life crisis... hey, I could think of worse things to obsess over! I know my Zeppelin friends on this board will totally understand but I need some reassurance that I'm not crazy!! This band is just sooooo addictive.. I just can't get enough of them!!! :P

You're not crazy, when I saw the cover of Rolling Stone last week on the internet, I went to three different stores looking for it not realizing it would be out this week! I have playing the Mothership dvd at home, cds in my car. I did see them live in 1977 and couldn't get enough, so it's nice to see some else somewhere in the world feels the same way, because my 13 yr and 11 yr old think I need a straight jacket!

You're not crazy, when I saw the cover of Rolling Stone last week on the internet, I went to three different stores looking for it not realizing it would be out this week! I have playing the Mothership dvd at home, cds in my car. I did see them live in 1977 and couldn't get enough, so it's nice to see some else somewhere in the world feels the same way, because my 13 yr and 11 yr old think I need a straight jacket!

OMG... I did the same thing yesterday with the Rolling Stone Mag! A very nice co-worker brought it in for me today though. But now I'm going crazy trying to find a copy of the British paper, The Daily Mail... Sunday's paper had a little magazine special with LZ and some AWESOME pictures in it. I'm trying to get a copy of it!

Mid life crisis is definately not the answer

I'm 15, been into Led Zep for a while. I just wish I could see a Led Zep concert just once, both my parents went to some of their concerts in the 70's. They told me they'd just stand in a huge line or have their friend buy them tickets...it's too bad nowadays things are so much more complex, where 16,000 out of 2 million get a ticket. I envy my parents (and yes, you guys) in a way.

I started listening to them when I was 10, back in 1975, and I've never stopped loving the band. There was a period of some years, ca. 1986-1992, when I think I probably listened more to Jimi Hendrix than Zeppelin, but that's all. Even in the 1990s, when I wasn't really following up on things in popular music, I was still buying most of the new Zep and Zep-related releases immediately when they arrived here. I live in Iceland, and always have, so I didn't get to see them live - I was only 5 years old when they played here in 1970. After 1980 I have always had other things I was interested in, so my life hasn't been 'about' this band.

But nonetheless, they've pretty much always been a big part of my life, and for that reason alone, apart from everything else, their music has a lot of extra significance for me. I remember hearing 'Boogie With Stu' on the radio in 1975; and reading about them in big features in the Icelandic dailies because they had just won in every imaginable category of the Melody Makers Poll. And well, remember being a broke little kid going to the record stores and having a listen to Led Zeppelin, to Led Zeppelin III, Physical Graffiti - and competing with my best friend to get a used copy of Graffiti that we suddenly found available in 1976. :duel:

When I was 13 and bought my first electric guitar I had to sell my albums to get the money - I didn't sell Presence. I remember when I borrowed the first two albums and taped them - that must have been in 1976, too - and when The Song Remains The Same was shown here, in 1977, it came a bit late here. After I saw that I was just fascinated for life. :notworthy:

There are different, personal memories from 1980, from 1983; from 1986 when I first heard the Paris Theatre bootleg, most of which was later released on the BBC Recordings - even at the height of my Hendrix obsession I was listening to that all the time; and from 1990-1991 when the Remasters box came - bought it in New York, and it was intriguing to hear some of the stuff there. Oh, I forgot late 1982 - when Coda came; 'Poor Tom', what a gem. Over the years the music changed for me, and basically, it gained new meanings, new depths, through the process of listening to it and evaluating it at different points in my life. This despite the fact that I love a lot of very different varieties of music.

I was genuinely surprised when the news came about the reunion concert, which will be in a couple of days now.... There had been so many false rumors for years. It was a bit of a blow, I must admit, when I realized I wouldn't be able to secure tickets - after all, I have wanted to see this band for decades. But you know, just my luck! Those of you going: I'm glad for you, and I'm glad for the band - hope you all have a wonderful time.... I know you will. I myself have a huge, if very indirect debt to the band, as on the old board I got to know a woman who is now a dear, close friend. :kiss:

Here's to the memory of Ahmet, and to the memory of John Henry Bonham. And thanks to Jimmy Page and Robert Plant and to John Paul Jones for creating that unique and beautiful musical legacy. :beer:

43 and totally re-obsessed

I remember hearing Whole lotta Love on AM radio played over and over again in the early '70s. That song really stood out above other songs on the radio at the time for me, however I didn't buy my first album until around '76 (give or take) when I was 12. You guessed it, it was LZ IV.

I played that album over and over again, while the rest of the family was in watching TV I was in the other room, lights off, headphones on, jamming to that album.

I have to admit though, Although I knew they were special, I didn't get into them as much as I could have. AC/DC, Van Halen, Boston were all coming on the scene, The Stones, The Who and Pink Floyd all had great new albums out around that time, so rather then looking back at LZ, I went forward with these bands.

Then around '87 or so I was driving somewhere with my girlfriend and Black Dog came on the radio, and even though I have heard this song a thousand times before, this time it was different. For some reason it hit me like a ton of bricks...This band is in a league of there own, nobody even comes close. I ended up going out and buying all their CDs and even got a hold of some Vinyl, some of which are still sealed.

In time the obsession died down, but no matter who I was into at any given time, if someone asked, "who's your favorite band" I always said, (and still do) Zeppelin

Now with all the new hoopla, I have become totally re-obsessed. I bought Mothership, been watching all the Youtube vids I can, been picking up any Mag with the Boys on the cover and have also been cranking it in the car playing the air guitar and drums, (I'm 43 for Gods sakes!! :rolleyes: ) I didn't listen to them for such a long time, but its funning how I didn't forget the words, guitar licks, drum beats etc.....it never gets old.

The other day my 9 yr old was walking around the house making a kinda ahhh aaHHHH ahhh sound, I ask her what she was singing and she said she didn't know. So I put on Immigrant song and she said, "Ya, thats it"!! I was so proud. A few days later we were sitting in the car waiting for my older daughter to get out of school and "Stairway" came on, I said, "hear this song" she said, "yea?" I said, "many consider this to be the greatest rock&roll song ever, its called Stairway to Heaven" So later that day It came on again and I asked her what song this was, without hesitation she said, "this is the greatest rock&roll song ever, its call stairway to Heaven" Thats my girl.

I just love this Band to no end.

I just love all these stories and I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who was obsessed, then sort of "strayed." I almost feel guilty for not being as loyal as I could have been but it's not that I began to dislike LZ, I guess I just started discovering other music, interests, etc. When I think of, it's actually no wonder that I'm re-obsessed now... this was really the first music I feel so love with and maybe it's true that you always return to your roots!

I don't have kids (very happy about that!!) but I have nephews. The oldest, who's 10, is getting into rock right now and loves the classic stuff which I find so fabulous! I was at my brother's house the other day and the very first thing my nephew said to me is, "Guess which two songs are on my top 10 favorite list now?" The answer was Moby Dick and Rock and Roll!!!!! I told him I have all their CD's and would give him some more of their songs. He's thrilled! My brother also just bought a new electric guitar because the kid is so into it. I'm basically making my brother watch the VH1 classics shows on today.. the Live DVD and TSRTS so that my nephew can see them in action. I promised my husband I would go back to some "regular" music tomorrow but I don't really want to!!!!!

• 2 weeks later...
LOL! No, I promise, I won't let my obsession get to that point. Now if this were back in the 70's and I was a bit older back then, that would be a different story! Kidding... I actually do have too much respect for them. I also think some nostaglia is quite healthy... makes me feel young again!! :) Not to repeat, but I am just glad that so many others feel this way. No other music does this to me like LZ, never has, I guess, never will. As for playing their music, that is a rather good idea! Thanks!!

LOL, Actually, Shiana Twain does it to me too!

Thank God I found this thread! I too am having a little trouble focusing on much other than which Zeppelin should I take with me to work today. I can't seem to leave the house without at least one studio and one live album (I guess we call them CD's now, but old habits die hard) This is not new of course as I was always the one who could be counted on to always have a least two versions of Kashmir on me at all times.. none of my friends really have any Led Zeppelin as I usually carry most of mine with me. But this has really gotten worse of late. I will agree with many of the above posts to the new appreciation that I've now developed. After falling off of Zeppelin for most of the 90's it is refreshing to be back into the fray and I seem to be paying attention to differend parts of the music and to different songs... it's like re discovering them all over again. Wonderful!! I'm so happy that I'm not the only one and that I'm not losing my mind. Thank you all.

:D

Oh, thank goodness for that! I agree TOTALLY with all that has been said, it's such a relief to know that I'm not the only one!

Examples:

My car has a 6 CD player, can you guess what each slot contains?

1. Led Zeppelin I

2. Led Zeppelin II

... you can guess the rest. I also have HTWWW on 3 separate CDs in the cubby hole next to the handbrake, in case I fancy a change to a live track. I have had my current car for a couple of months now, and I have never ONCE switched the radio on - always my Zeppelin CDs!

I have to be careful when I'm on the motorway, though, as I defy anyone to drive a car whilst listening to "Rock & Roll" and NOT find themselves accelerating to way above the speed limit!

I also spend more time on this forum than is probably good for me! :unsure:

Probably some desire to capture your childhood or something?

I am a life long fan of the rock group Led Zeppelin, my favourite member was the late John Henry Bonham, everyone who I have met, who is a zeppelin fan and remembers him,says he was a true and professional man.

Everyday,one Led Zeppelin song gets played when I arrive home from work, and cook some dinner, then Led Zeppelin are playing, I cannot begin to say how much their music means to me.

Probably some desire to capture your childhood or something?

I'm sure that's what it is... I had a great time listening to LZ back then so it's no wonder I remember that time so fondly. I'm really enjoying reliving it!

Archived