JPJ's best bass work

danelectro59

• 2 weeks later...
I'd say John Paul was a better musician than Page, but Page was better at playing his instrument.

I don't agree. JPJ nowdays is much better in playing than Jimmy is. And in the early days Jones was also very good on bass and mandolin. Tell me a better bass player who played in the 60th and 70th. You wouldn't find one. Once a man said in an early interview about sessions "you couln't find a better bass player than JPJ"

The Lemon Song - throw it on the turntable and have a listen.

Nothing beats JPJ and Bonham's playing during the Theremin solo in Whole Lotta Love - The Song Remainns The Same....this part is what made me switch from guitar to bass.

JPJ was never a showoff type of player with Zeppelin on the bass. But he was very good at kind of semi-improvising off a walking bass line as he interplayed with Bonzo. I think Travellin Riverside Blues is a great example. Oftentimes in a song, the bassline was just a guide for JPJ but he would alter it within the song and between performances. So he could hold down the root notes and yet he'd be doing some interesting fills and rhythmic variations. You really have to listen closely to appreciate it. Because he wouldn't just get lost noodling up the neck ala Jack Bruce in Crossroads or Geezer Butler in War Pigs, he hasn't really gotten the respect he deserves.

He's really more of a flashy player now than he was then, with the multi-string instruments.

I don't agree. JPJ nowdays is much better in playing than Jimmy is. And in the early days Jones was also very good on bass and mandolin. Tell me a better bass player who played in the 60th and 70th. You wouldn't find one. Once a man said in an early interview about sessions "you couln't find a better bass player than JPJ"

I agree with Anarchy2Howard jimmy was realy the greatest guitarist of all times.... If not the best at least he is in the top three guitarists of all times along with Ritchie Blackmore and Brian May.... But i wouldnt say that Jonzy was and is better in playing then Jimmy, is better in playing what? Guitar??? No way Jimmy is realy THE GUITARIST and even Fellows like Angus Young and Keith Richards cant race him... Bass??? I have no name on mind that would have been better then JPJ, hes the best(only the fellows that could go along with him... Roger Glover For example....), byt i havnt seen Jimmy playin' on bass... So.... In music??? In music he realy is not only better than Jimmy, but in my opinion he is one of the best.... His brain is much more costly than the Mother Nature....

I agree with Anarchy2Howard jimmy was realy the greatest guitarist of all times.... If not the best at least he is in the top three guitarists of all times along with Ritchie Blackmore and Brian May.... But i wouldnt say that Jonzy was and is better in playing then Jimmy, is better in playing what? Guitar??? No way Jimmy is realy THE GUITARIST and even Fellows like Angus Young and Keith Richards cant race him... Bass??? I have no name on mind that would have been better then JPJ, hes the best(only the fellows that could go along with him... Roger Glover For example....), byt i havnt seen Jimmy playin' on bass... So.... In music??? In music he realy is not only better than Jimmy, but in my opinion he is one of the best.... His brain is much more costly than the Mother Nature....

I've been playing guitar for 34 years, and Jimmy Page is hands down my all-time favorite guitarist and greatest influence. I hold him light years above any other player. But the 'greatest guitarist of all time"?? The first person who'd disagree with you is Jimmy Page:

I'm no John McLaughlin. Jimmy Page

I'm not a guitarist as far as technician goes. I just pick it up and play it. Technique doesn't come into it. I deal in emotions. Jimmy Page

The guy rocks, and wrote some of the greatest rock music of all time. But he's not Mozart. ;)

I've been playing bass for several years now, and in my opinion, the bassline on just about every Zeppelin song is awesome. He is able to play in so many different styles and he clearly was equally as important as any other member of the band. It's amazing how well he can improvise and jam out while still maintaining the groove. My favorites include Good Times, Bad Times, How Many More Times, Ramble On, What is and What Should Never Be, Dazed and Confused, The Song Remains the Same, and so many more that I don't feel like typing right now. Oh, by the way, JPJ, not Jimmy Page, came up with the Black Dog Riff. Not all of the stuff he plays is hard, in fact some of it is quite easy, but it is all genius.

My clear favorite is The Lemon Song though. All bass players should sit down, turn up the bass, and listen to this song, in fact everyone should. The bassline starts out relatively simple and just gets crazier and crazier as the song progresses. It's especially insane on the fast parts. What makes it all the more incredible is that JPJ completely improvised it on the spot and recorded it on the first take! I hope one day to be able to play this song like JPJ, because on that day, I will be able to play anything!

Tell me a better bass player who played in the 60th and 70th. You wouldn't find one. Once a man said in an early interview about sessions "you couln't find a better bass player than JPJ"

Bernard Edwards.

I think it's a bit difficult to say who's better than who, but Bernard was a simply brilliant bassist who is also terribly overlooked (although not by bassists ;) )

Bernard Edwards.

I think it's a bit difficult to say who's better than who, but Bernard was a simply brilliant bassist who is also terribly overlooked (although not by bassists ;) )

Who did he play with? On what songs can I sample his work? Thanks!

Who did he play with? On what songs can I sample his work? Thanks!

Bernard Edwards was the bassist for Chic. It was his bass line that the Sugar Hill Gang used for one of the first rap songs, and also it inspired Queen's Another One Bites The Dust

And Chic were disco, and I know most rock fans turn their nose up at disco, but Chic were the exception to the rule, and Robert Plant obviously thought so because Tony Thompson and Nile Rodgers from Chic both worked with Robert on The Honeydrippers... ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sD9ytHecAQQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5AOpdxnfzs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_RWVuA7sMM...feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKOsXmTs57g

Bernard Edwards was the bassist for Chic. It was his bass line that the Sugar Hill Gang used for one of the first rap songs, and also it inspired Queen's Another One Bites The Dust

And Chic were disco, and I know most rock fans turn their nose up at disco, but Chic were the exception to the rule, and Robert Plant obviously thought so because Tony Thompson and Nile Rodgers from Chic both worked with Robert on The Honeydrippers... ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sD9ytHecAQQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5AOpdxnfzs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_RWVuA7sMM...feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKOsXmTs57g

Thanks! I can't play U-tube on this computer, though. I like any disco or funk that has some noticeable bass in it - and most do. I actually think Maurice Gibb is a great bassist, as long as we're doing confessions...

Thanks! I can't play U-tube on this computer, though. I like any disco or funk that has some noticeable bass in it - and most do. I actually think Maurice Gibb is a great bassist, as long as we're doing confessions...

:lol:

And yet most people wouldn't know he was a bassist

Well if you don't mind disco, then I think you'll be very impressed with Bernard. I could sit and listen to him all day.

I mean I'm not pissing on JPJ here, but I haven't heard JPJ use the same techniques that Bernard used to use, it's quite difficult to copy his sound.

Archived