JPJ's best bass work

danelectro59

• 6 months later...
I actually think some of his best work was his keyboard playing. But maybe that's just because I'm a keyboard player. B)

On bass, Dazed and Confused is hard to beat. Achilles Last Stand is amazing too.

I can't argue there. My absolute favorite is SIBLY, right after the guitar lead when Robert sings "said I've been crying, my tears they fell like rain" (Bonham's killer snare and bass fill) and "don't you hear, don't you hear them falling" The Hammond organ run sounds like it came straight from the Triple Rock Baptist Church on the south side of Chicago. Yea, it took a few months to respond, but I was going through some old posts and happened upon this one and remembered how I love that part of the song almost as much as Pagey's lead or Percy's vocals. Bloody awesome.

I don't think any of the other 3 members were as important to Zeppelin as Jimmy. They all held their own performance wise, Jimmy had the whole thing mapped out. There's a reason Page got production credits for Zeppelin's albums. He ultimately decides how they sound.

Zep was an ensemble. Jimmy may have been the architect but without the others' input, it never would have worked. If you want evidence, listen to The Yardbirds Little Games album. It's pretty much Led Zeppelin I without the right personnel. Or listen to the Yardbirds proto-Tangerine vs. the finished Zep one. The devil's in the details, folks.

Archived