How did "Stairway" stack up?

Versions to compare to: BBC Sessions, HTWWW, TSRTS, Earl's Court (Any), The Destroyer, LTTE, Badgeholders Only, Knebworth, Any versions from '80. Basically, write your own commentary comparing this version to other ones. Just give your opinion on this version.

OK, I'll start:

This version was a step backwards from previous extended performances, however it was a good step back. It was like a reflective step back, just looking at the song the way it was originally intended. No more Guitar solo extensions or lyrical ad-libs (a la "TSRTS"), or ape-shit Bonzo (HTWWW). This version features a much more mellow-sounding Robert, who sounds as though he's performing the song with actual enthusiasm for the first time in roughly 23 years. Overall, I actually prefer this version to most other versions. Only three other versions are superior*: TSRTS, HTWWW, & May 24th, 1975 (Earl's Court).

TThat was just my format, but you can do it anyway you want. List form, paragraph, essay, review, any way you want to write it.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

* My opinion

I copied this excerpt from my own post regarding this subject in a different thread - figured I would re-post it here as it fits.

Most of it was a rant I posted after listening to the BBC Sessions version with short solo under the influence of many things - ah screw it, I was really fucking high. It includes how I felt, and what I was thinking, and I found it to be an interesting and different way to go about it.

As far as live performances go, I'm an absolute huge , and I mean huge fan of the band from 1968 till 1972, a relatively huge fan of them from 1973 till 1975, and well, I guess you could say I'm not much of a fan at all after 1975.

Enter the o2 show... short solo yes, but I liked it

I've got to say, the shorter solo from the BBC Sessions release seems to get me more amped up than the longer ones... I mean, sure its over too soon and I want more, but isn't that what makes it good? In the shorter solos its as if Page forcesyou off the edge of a huge cliff without you even expecting it.., I mean, its Page.., "extended solos are his thing right?.., surely I've got another minute or two to chill here before..." WHAM. He is done with you before you can even finish convincing yourself you've got more time, let alone fathom the furiously concise solo he just weighted you down with.., and even if you did expect it, you certainly weren't ready for it... its just over and you don't even realize it at the time... when it gets silent all you can do is look around in a daze like.. "Wait, did that just happen? No fucking way did that just happen" in reference to being completely oblivious to everything going on around you for 8 or 9 minutes. Specifically, that point where you've been out of it for so long your joint has managed to burn a fairly noticeable hole in your couch without your consent.

Hmm.. In hindsight of what I've just written, I wonder if that made any sense at all. I never went back to check if one thought led to the next. No time for that.

In short, and ***IMO*** the BBC Sessions performance was best. Short, suuure, but theres a rawness there, a naked, bare essentials-type of feeling you just don't get in any other versions.

Some people may say this: <insert generic "durrr, but, haven't you seen, um durr, Th Th The Song Remains The Same dur thats the best, the be, the bbbbbbbbbbb, the best solo ever! You dont know what youre talking aboutmdurrrr" comment here>

To which I will reply, yea, I've seen it. Everyone has seen it. I would really like it if a day went by that someone didn't bring that thing up.

o2 was good in that it was to the point and it helped make room a few more songs in the setlist (For Your Life). Its as if they didn't even want to really play it - but they knew if they didn't, people would riot. Personally, I don't even consider Stairway among their top 25 songs.

Have a great day. B)

Some people may say this: <insert generic "durrr, but, haven't you seen, um durr, Th Th The Song Remains The Same dur thats the best, the be, the bbbbbbbbbbb, the best solo ever! You dont know what youre talking aboutmdurrrr" comment here>

If that's the case, then they don't know what they're f**ing talking about. TSRTS is FAR from the best. Good, yes, but FAAAAAAR from the best! I'm not going to lie, I don't think BBC Sessions has the best solo either, but NONE of the officially released versions do! BBC Sessions does feature Robert in top form though, so props for that! :thumbsup:

*gasp*

:notworthy:

Yes, it's extended, but, like the BBC Sessions version, you still don't know where the end is. When you're high, and listening to this solo, you're not even sure whether it's Jimmy Christ or Jesus Page! (Wait...scratch that...) Either one of them could be playing it! Yeah, that familiar motif near the end is a cue for the end, but you still feel a real sense of unworthiness even after its over.

Why do you ask for people's opinion, and then follow it up with a thumbs down to anybody who thinks that TSRTS solo is the best? It's not very inviting for others to post their opinion. Frankly, if you think only 3 versions are superior you must not have a very big collection.

Why do you ask for people's opinion, and then follow it up with a thumbs down to anybody who thinks that TSRTS solo is the best? It's not very inviting for others to post their opinion. Frankly, if you think only 3 versions are superior you must not have a very big collection.

Sorry. You're right I guess that was a tad *makes a huge gesture* harsh. Please feel free to post your opinions freely. I'll recede gradually into the background now... :unsure:

PS - Actually my collection has grown quite extensive. I just really like the O2 solo and it takes a lot to beat it. Listening to it now, HTWWW does not quite stack up, so actually, only two versions are superior*.

*Opinions, opinions, my kingdom for an opinion... :lol:

The one I like this week is 10/2/72 in Tokyo. But, most of the late 72 and early 73 shows were pretty damn good.

I suppose you've hit the nail on the head with the "this week" portion...

To tell you the truth, Zeppelin is so dynamic what is my favorite one day quickly changes to another the next... it really just depends on what sort of mood you're in that particular day... theres really a version of this song (all of their songs for that matter) to suite any given mood at any given time...

Just depends on the circumstances. There is really no closure in posts like these... really, people should take it for what it is - a good debate.

Well, I for one think the O2 version of the Stairway solo is the best they've ever done! I think the solo on the album version of Stairway is one of the best solos ever performed and the way the song builds to that climactic solo is incredible. By the time Jimmy hits that first note of the solo, it hits me like a cattle prod to the gnads...

As a guitarist, of course MORE Jimmy is always better....but not with the Stairway solo! I personally always was disappointed in the live versions of the song - even during the coveted '72 tour! After the D-C-G chord strumming prior to the solo, Jimmy always went to the outro strumming on the twelve sting neck before switching necks to start the solo. It felt like a step back to me in the progression of the song. I could never understand why he decided to do it that way - I have a double neck Gibson and have no problem switching necks to hit that first note of the solo.

Then came the O2 performance and I was up front at the show and completely blown away to hear Jimmy duplicate on stage the way it was done in the studio! Absolutely brilliant!!!

Thanks for posting this topic and letting me get that off my chest.....

I didn't like the O2 version although I realize why Jimmy did the solo that way - Robert. I do realize that beggars cant be choosers and I should be happy that they did the song at all, I just found it a bit wanting. I do agree that it was the first time that he (Robert) showed any enthusiasm at all for the song and besides the solo, was an excellent rendition. I am much partial to the 5/25/75 version. The SRTS version does it for me if I am concentrating on Bonzo. Every time I listen to the 5/25/75 solo I get goose pimples and the hair on my arms tend to rise. Although no-one likes to limit themselves, I also realize that if I had 1000 years I would never be able to play with that level of emotion and fluidity that he played with at the Court that May day in the spring of 75.

As far as Stairway solos go, less is more for me. Here are my top five:

1. Studio version - Obvious reasons.

2. O2 - It perfectly captures the feeling I had when I first heard the studio version, which is something no other live performance does for me. The lower key is really what makes this one special; it sounds darker and moodier. Also, the way Page skips the lead-in he always does and just goes right into the solo is magic (although he did bend the first note a tad too far...)

3. BBC Sessions - I think docron's already explained this one perfectly.

4. 8/4/79 Knebworth - While it's a bit sloppy and Page plays a little too fast in the intro, the feeling that he is putting into the solo is incredible.

5. 5/24/75 - Technically, it's a masterpiece. His playing here is fantastic and I think it's one of his finest achievements. The 5/25/75 performance would be here as well in a tie, had it not been for the band's sloppy lead-in to the solo, and the broken B-string near the end.

2. O2 - It perfectly captures the feeling I had when I first heard the studio version, which is something no other live performance does for me. The lower key is really what makes this one special; it sounds darker and moodier. Also, the way Page skips the lead-in he always does and just goes right into the solo is magic (although he did bend the first note a tad too far...)

4. 8/4/79 Knebworth - While it's a bit sloppy and Page plays a little too fast in the intro, the feeling that he is putting into the solo is incredible.

5. 5/24/75 - Technically, it's a masterpiece. His playing here is fantastic and I think it's one of his finest achievements. The 5/25/75 performance would be here as well in a tie, had it not been for the band's sloppy lead-in to the solo, and the broken B-string near the end.

I pretty much agree with most of this except Knebworth. Either version makes me literally cry when I listen to them - no joke. It sounds almost like Robert is trying to make it sound bad. In most places, I actually prefer the 5/25/75 solo to the 5/24/75 solo, but the broken B-string caused him to cut it short by almost a full minute! They did clean it up pretty well for the DVD, though. Still not perfect.

My favorite version of Stairway is the HTWWO version. Jimmy's solo, and the interplay between him and Bonham during the solo is like nothing Ive ever heard before, absolutely amazing. :D The O2 performance was solid, but just felt like Robert wasn't really going for it like he did on Kashmir. The tuned down version, and Robert's vocal made the song appear very sad to me. :( Maybe thats what the boys were going for, probably the way the song should have come off that night, and if ever again...

• 4 weeks later...

I thought it was great. BBC Sessions is my favorite version, but the O2 version is right up there. One thing I like is now with Plant's lower vocal range, I can finally sing along! lol!!

I thought it was great. BBC Sessions is my favorite version, but the O2 version is right up there. One thing I like is now with Plant's lower vocal range, I can finally sing along! lol!!

I agree with you about BBC Sessions and then the O2 was cool, too. :D

I can still sing pretty high though (even though I'm almost 40). :)

R B)

I thought the O2 version was fantastic. The fact that it was played a whole tone down, it gave the song an interesting mood. The solo was perfectly done... Jimmy just hadn't nothing to prove.

For all the detractors: you just don't understand a single thing about music and mood...

:duel:

• 3 weeks later...

I love this web-site! I always loved the stairway solo's, they are an event! That's why my live faves after TSRTS are Detroit73' even though I had a bad copy of the boot, it's the 1st time I heard it that way. 3-11-75, apparently a better sounding boot is coming out soon to kill all others, 5-24, and some from 77'. What I like about LZ, and what sets them apart from all other bands is that they don't try to copy their studio solo's or over-all performances, that's why the early live versions and BBC, HTWWW, while technically awesome don't yet live up to the "event" I was talking about. It also helps when Jimmy is at the front of the stage spot lighted with guitar held up in the intro. Why didn't he do that in the reunion?

• 1 month later...

Listened to Stairway again today for the first time in a while. I liked the drop-tuning as soon as I heard it. Here's what I said back in January - http://forums.ledzeppelin.com/index.php?sh...;p=83791&#:

Stairway killed. It sounded like an entirely different song in a good way, almost like an epilogue to an epic tale that was the original.

Knowing what we (don't) know now about this possibly being the last show with the Big 3 and Lil J, I really stand by this statement. This version of Stairway very much feels like a song of atonement rather than a song of hope. Robert sings it as if he's on his knees saying a quiet prayer rather than screaming skyward, and Jimmy's solo is fittingly understated as compared to his soaring fretwork from the 70s, yet spot-on as well. It truly is a fantastic piece of work in the Zep live canon.

Knowing what we (don't) know now about this possibly being the last show with the Big 3 and Lil J, I really stand by this statement. This version of Stairway very much feels like a song of atonement rather than a song of hope. Robert sings it as if he's on his knees saying a quiet prayer rather than screaming skyward, and Jimmy's solo is fittingly understated as compared to his soaring fretwork from the 70s, yet spot-on as well. It truly is a fantastic piece of work in the Zep live canon.

It was done really well, Led Zeppelin never played the same song the same way twice i love what they added and as well what they took away for the proformance. ITs amazing how they can keep reinventing all of their material.

• 1 month later...

Archived