Dirigible's Dirty Dozen

Dirigible

You guys are great and really know your stuff. I'm getting my ass kicked on my own test! Nick, you listened to the entire catalog? Mister, you're a better man than I; that's six and a half hours not counting TSRTS, BBC, HTWWW, DVD and bootlegs.

You guys are great and really know your stuff. I'm getting my ass kicked on my own test! Nick, you listened to the entire catalog? Mister, you're a better man than I; that's six and a half hours not counting TSRTS, BBC, HTWWW, DVD and bootlegs.

I meant the 9 studio albums. And I didn't really listen through every song thoroughly some songs I skipped because I knew there was on harmonica on them. But those are the 7 I could come up with. Songs like Black Mountain Side, and Bron Yr Aur and a bunch of others couldn't possibly have harmonicas in them. Stairway and Kashmir don't of course.

Finding the harmonicas didn't take as long as I expected... I just ruled out the songs I knew for sure didn't have it, which removed like 70% of the songs... that and Nickzep already had found 4 of them... that made finding the last 3 pretty easy... after that I found one every third or so try. Fun quiz though!!

Derigible... have you looked into those MSG shows regarding The Ocean's intro?

I think what happened was that the 29th was incomplete in this section... mine has an AUD source spliced in at this section... your source is probably spliced with the night before's (the 28th) intro, which is SBD.

Thats what I'd venture to guess. Look to see if you can hear any differences in the crowd noise or something like that somewhere between when Plant starts his introduction and when Bonham starts the countoff.

The 4 CD set is titled is Grande Finale. The fourth CD is an audience recording from late in the same show, thoroughly dispensible, the remaining three are soundboard. The band plays Thank You as an encore and all commentary by Plant indicates that this is indeed 7-29-73, the last night. Before Over The Hills and Far Away Plant announces, "I got to set you straight on something right away. This year in America we decided to work real hard and do two tours. This is the last night of the last tour." The Moby Dick intro goes: "The man needs no introduction, he just gets better and better everyday." Bonzo plays the first four snare notes and stops like a false start. He plays them again after a pause, and the song begins. After the solo Plant demands Bonham, "Take a bow. TAKE A BOW!"

I don't know what else to say, those are the facts I'm limited to. The CD title doesn't seal the deal but them playing Thank You does; they only played that song on the last night of each leg of the 1973 US tour; and Plant announced it as such.

You're fun to exchange opinions with, Doc, I'd like to get to the bottom of it myself but I don't want to infer anything to piss off a newfound friend. So with my tongue-in-cheek let remind you of that great Mark Knopfler lyric:

"Two men say they're Jesus, one of 'em must be wrong."

The 4 CD set is titled is Grande Finale. The fourth CD is an audience recording from late in the same show, thoroughly dispensible, the remaining three are soundboard. The band plays Thank You as an encore and all commentary by Plant indicates that this is indeed 7-29-73, the last night. Before Over The Hills and Far Away Plant announces, "I got to set you straight on something right away. This year in America we decided to work real hard and do two tours. This is the last night of the last tour." The Moby Dick intro goes: "The man needs no introduction, he just gets better and better everyday." Bonzo plays the first four snare notes and stops like a false start. He plays them again after a pause, and the song begins. After the solo Plant demands Bonham, "Take a bow. TAKE A BOW!"

I don't know what else to say, those are the facts I'm limited to. The CD title doesn't seal the deal but them playing Thank You does; they only played that song on the last night of each leg of the 1973 US tour; and Plant announced it as such.

You're fun to exchange opinions with, Doc, I'd like to get to the bottom of it myself but I don't want to infer anything to piss off a newfound friend. So with my tongue-in-cheek let remind you of that great Mark Knopfler lyric:

"Two men say they're Jesus, one of 'em must be wrong."

Let me start by saying Knopfler is a great guitarist as well!

My 7-29 does indeed have Thank You, I agree with you there. In my version, theres just crowd noise for a while, Plant doesn't introduce the encore at all - at the end of yours does Plant say something along the lines of "manna-coumb sallam" or something like that?

I listened to my 7-29 OTHAFA to see if that was the same as you described on your version, nothing of the sort... so I listened to my 7-28 version... still nothing. and 7-27 is incomplete so this song isn' on there at all... ?

It sounds like we have the exaxt same Moby Dicks for 7/29 though, so thats a start.

The question I have... is at the end of The Ocean that you have for 7/29, does Plant yell "Goodbye America!"???

I don't want to jack this thread... but this is really starting to get to me. Its like were not even talking about the same group of shows! :mad:

I'm checking right now, will report more in a few minutes. My source was a bass player I'd been in a band with for years. He burned them from CDs that looked like official releases, this bassist had probably 200 CD sets. He offered to burn me all three nights and I said with TSRTS just one of those nights would suffice. Unfortunately we are no longer in touch.

The third edition of Luis Rey's book claimed a complete soundboard of 7-29-73 didn't exist (although I have several shows not in Luis Rey's book) but all I can report is I've listened to all three CDs of this show many times and heretofore never suspected edits, heard drop outs or audible differences from song to song.

'ang on a minnit . . .

After The Ocean finished Plant said, "Goodbye, America. Goodbye." There is no change in crowd noise as the tracks switch between The Ocean to Thank You. Before the switch I hear a couple of guitar notes indicating to me Page hasn't left the stage after Plant's farewells.

All physical and audible evidence I have indicates 7-29-73, especially the 'this is the last night of the last tour' business. From the sound of things I can only glean this is a complete soundboard from the night in question. Whaddya think, mate?

It sounds like alot of our show is the same - Our Moby Dicks the same, the ENDING of our The Oceans are the same... Thank You is played... Whole Lotta Love has the long drum outro...

My Over The Hills and Far Away doesn't have anything before or after it regarding the "Last night here" comments though.... so I'm suspicious of that... I even checked the songs before and after it.. nothing. Then I checked the other 2 dates... nothing again regarding "last nights"... hmmm

My version is flawed you think?

I don't get why would someone take a perfectly good all-soundboard (per your claim) The Ocean and splice in a shitty audience source at the beginning!? I mean, we've got the same song as far as the endings are concerned!

I'm going to go look at the files I downloaded.

Wait a minute... hear this out.... after the Whole Lotta Love outro Plant laughs and says "NEW YORRK!!! Next year, maybe! Goodnight"... then there is a long silence (about 3 mins) like they left the stage...

Then they come back out it seems and Plant says "Good Evening... well it hasn't been so bad considering tomorrow night ill be lying in the grass in the middle of nowhere" Its been very nice this american tour... theres been a bit of boredom but we got by... <insert inaudible audience shit>

Then at the end of The Ocean Plant yells "Goodbye America!!, Goodbye"

But you're right... they don't leave stage before Thank You as you can still hear Pageys guitar being moved around.

Then Organ solo intro to Thank You.

It doesn't add up... The Ocean wasn't an encore, it was typically the last song of the set... so why the 3 mins of silence?!?!?

I think I have the final nail for this coffin!!

Check this out.

The version I have is mastered by Eddie Edwards, a very well known man in the 'legging business.

Vol 1:

Led Zeppelin

Madison Square Garden

New York NY

July 27, 1973

SBD-AUD

Eddie Edwards

Something Completely Different (The Garden Tapes part I)

SBD Source - various tape and CD sources used but mostly from

Grandiloquence (Antrabata)

AUD SOurce - 1st->DAT->CDR

Show lineage CDR(from Eddie)>EAC>FLAC

I want to thank my friend Eddie Edwards for allowing

me to seed this fine show that he put together.

Eddie's releases are always from the best sources available.

They always run at the correct speed, perferct source splices,

proper leveling and are error free.

The sound is unaltered.

CD 1

1. The Rain Song

2. Dazed And Confused

CD 2

1. Stairway To Heaven

2. Moby Dick

3. Heartbreaker

4. Whole Lotta Love (medley)

5. The Ocean

Vol 2:

Led Zeppelin

Madison Square Garden

New York NY

July 28, 1973

SBD-AUD

Eddie Edwards

It Doesn't Get Any Cooler (The Garden Tapes part II)

SBD Source - 1st->DAT->CDR

AUD SOurce - 4th->DAT->CDR

Show lineage CDRs(from Eddie)>EAC>FLAC

The sound is unaltered.

Ive been told EVSD used this source for "Effect is Shattering"

If you want the unaltered and IMHO the best version, download this.

CD 1

1. Rock And Roll

2. Celebration Day

3. Black Dog

4. Over The Hills And Far Away

5. Misty Mountain Hop

6. Since I've Been Loving You

7. No Quarter

8. The Song Remains the Same

9. The Rain Song

CD 2

1. Dazed And Confused

2. Stairway To Heaven

3. Moby Dick

CD 3

1. Heartbreaker

2. Whole Lotta Love (medley)

3. The Ocean*

*The cuts in The Ocean could not be fixed as the audience recording does not include this song.

Vol 3:

Led Zeppelin

Madison Square Garden

New York NY

July 29, 1973

SBD-AUD

Eddie Edwards

A Long, Long, Long Way From Home (The Garden Tapes part III)

SBD Source - Grand Finale Bootleg

AUD Source - 2nd->DAT->CDR

Show lineage CDR(from Eddie)>EAC>FLAC

The sound is unaltered.

*Grand Final bootleg from EVSD used SBD from the previous night to fill in

the missing gaps. Eddie fixed this cardinal sin using the AUD from the 29th

to fill in the missing gaps, and made it 3CD's rather than EVSD 4CD.

Ive been told that Tarantura used this version for "Missing Doll"

CD 1

1. Rock And Roll

2. Celebration Day

3. Black Dog

4. Over The Hills And Far Away

5. Misty Mountain Hop

6. Since I've Been Loving You

7. No Quarter

8. The Song Remains the Same

9. The Rain Song

CD 2

1. Dazed And Confused

2. Stairway To Heaven

3. Moby Dick

CD 3

1. Heartbreaker

2. Whole Lotta Love (medley)

3. The Ocean

4. Thank You

Amazing post(s), docron.

Yes, a 4 CD set. I've no idea who packaged and distributed it. But I am grateful to whoever did. As someone who owns soundboards of two shows I attended I can attest they sound nowhere as good as being there. This recording is better, so it must've been a helluva night.

Two questions, docron:

1. Was The Ocean NOT an encore song in 1973? The two shows I saw on the first leg of the '73 tour Heartbreaker/Whole Lotta Love was the end of the concert before a quickie encore of Communication Breakdown, if memory serves. Before the countoff of The Ocean in Seattle '73 (second leg) Plant said, "We'd like to do one more, this is one where Mr. Bonham is allowed to display his, uh, vocal ability." That sounds like an encore to moi.

2. May we conclude then the hootchie koo countoff is the correct answer for #3 of my dirty dozen?

Amazing post(s), docron.

Yes, a 4 CD set. I've no idea who packaged and distributed it. But I am grateful to whoever did. As someone who owns soundboards of two shows I attended I can attest they sound nowhere as good as being there. This recording is better, so it must've been a helluva night.

May we conclude then, docron, the hootchie koo countoff is the correct answer for #3?

lol no!... the 4 disc set uses the wrong intro.. the 3 disc set uses the right intro, but its inaudible.

The hootchie-coo intro is without a doubt from the 28th.

Theres just no way to answer # 3 lol.

For the sake of not causing a traffic jam in your thread though, lets call the hootchie-coo countoff the correct answer and move on!

Doc, you obviously care about your sources more than I do and I respect the hell out of that. Me, if I found out a bootleg was from the 21st and not the 22nd like I'd thought for years I'd break out a pen and change the date on the CD or tape.

But I finally heard where the fucking break is on my CD! Plant is saying after WLL that Bonham will 'give a dynamic account' and his voice fades abruptly after those words leave his mouth, the crowd noise comes up, and as the track switches to The Ocean Bonzo is already doing his spoken intro. Now I can hear it! Jones comes in right with Jimmy and the NEXT measure of music is so beefed up in contrast (at the end of the splice?) I'd originally thought Jones had just brought in the bass late having missed his entrance.

Where does that leave me in regard to my recording? Is it the complete 7-29-73 soundboard with just the beginning of The Ocean spliced in for completeness sake?

Doc, you obviously care about your sources more than I do and I respect the hell out of that. Me, if I found out a bootleg was from the 21st and not the 22nd like I'd thought for years I'd break out a pen and change the date on the CD or tape.

But I finally heard where the fucking break is on my CD! Plant is saying after WLL that Bonham will 'give a dynamic account' and his voice fades abruptly after those words leave his mouth, the crowd noise comes up, and as the track switches to The Ocean Bonzo is already doing his spoken intro. Now I can hear it! Jones comes in right with Jimmy and the NEXT measure of music is so beefed up in contrast (at the end of the splice?) I'd originally thought Jones had just brought in the bass late having missed his entrance.

Where does that leave me in regard to my recording? Is it the complete 7-29-73 soundboard with just the beginning of The Ocean spliced in for completeness sake?

It looks like from what I've read that the intro to The Ocean is the only place during the 7-29 show that had missing tape... Sounds like thats the only difference. I'm not sure what sort of EQ or mix (if any) has been applied, but since these MSG shows were recorded for use in a movie, not much was needed.

As far as your recording, the setlist for 7-29 is shown in the really long post of mine yesterday under "Vol. 3". I'm sure its complete though. The guy that mastered your tape probably found it more valuable to have a listenable recording... while the guy that mastered mine found it more valuable to have the correct date... it all comes down to personal taste really. Honestly, the splice is so short (like 15 secs) who cares! lol.

Generally I scan for the least messed with recordings... preserve the natural Zeppelin at all possible costs. Alot of people try to be amateur Kevin Shirleys and EQ some of these shows to death and it really makes them sound 1-dimensional.

Wow tho... what a strraaange coincidence though that your trivia question involved the only spot where the tape was spliced! The way things work sometimes... B)

Sounds like the 7-29-73 version of The Ocean on "DVD." Bonham's spoken intro is just like on HOTH but the camera pans away from him as he begins the countoff.

Well, I'm glad I found that out. It's so skillfully edited I'd've gone blissfully to my grave not ever knowing, docron, if you hadn't known your shit. Speaking of knowing what's what---there are several unanswered questions remaining on the quiz (now that #3 and #12 are out of the way.)

Thats true but I can't find #1 anywhere, its driving me nuts.

NickZepp is right about most all of the other ones.

I don't know shit about music so I can't tell which one has an extra bar... I don't even know what a bar is!? lol

Page shaved his beard after 2-20-72 show in Melborne, Australia. He had it for nearly 2 years from what I can tell. So the answer is the Australian tour, exact show is Melborne, Australia

Page shaved his beard after 2-20-72 show in Melborne, Australia. He had it for nearly 2 years from what I can tell. So the answer is the Australian tour, exact show is Melborne, Australia

Sounds resonable to me... he definitely had it in Australia and I know it was gone by mid-'72. Nice one.

Well, you could always add new questions! I thought it was fun while it lasted at least!

That beard one got to me so bad that I resorted to typing "When did Jimmy Page cut his beard" into Google lol... B) Needless to say, I didn't find it there.

I should have known it was Australia though... you're from Australia, aren't you? (thats just my guess cuz you always say 'mate'). I knew he definitely had it in Australia (theres footage), but had no idea when he cut it.

Pagey first appeared bearded onstage in Iceland 6-22-70, an obscure gig to be sure, then less than a week later at the high-profile Bath Festival 6-28-70. Shaving the beard finally in early February '72, Jim had been hirsute for a year and a half.

What about the Eddie Kramer question? That one's easy.

Well, you could always add new questions!

OHH! I musta zoned out reading that post and missed this sentence.

You know what 'they' say about being careful what you wish for? The next quiz is 50 questions. We'll be arguing till 2011.

Australia, me? I'm just south of Nick, I'm in Texas. The Rover (also from Tejas) and I ate lunch today and talked for three hours! My regards to the Motor City.

Pagey first appeared bearded onstage in Iceland 6-22-70, an obscure gig to be sure, then less than a week later at the high-profile Bath Festival 6-28-70. Shaving the beard finally in early February '72, Jim had been hirsute for a year and a half.

What about the Eddie Kramer question? That one's easy.

I always thought it was Whole Lotta Love but I guess not. Heartbreaker is my second guess.

Archived