Rock and Roll

kashmiran

What's the best live version out-there. Multiple answers welcome but try to narrow it down to one if you can. In my opinion, nothing beats the official TSRTS version (old or new, they're both great). Bootleg versions, I'd have to say 7.28.73.

Knebworth 4th. :)

TSRTS is pretty good but <_<

6-27-1972

Vienna 1973 :o

Knebworth 4th :notworthy:

This is my true favorite, but I didn't put this down because I've seen alot of harsh criticism of Knebworth, and I didn't want to get the stereotypical "Wait a minute, Knebworth is good, but..." I'm sure you know what I'm talking about. Vienna 1973 is 3rd on my list after Knebworth and TSRTS.

Knebworth 4th :notworthy:

This is my true favorite, but I didn't put this down because I've seen alot of harsh criticism of Knebworth, and I didn't want to get the stereotypical "Wait a minute, Knebworth is good, but..." I'm sure you know what I'm talking about. Vienna 1973 is 3rd on my list after Knebworth and TSRTS.

you got good taste :) For sure.

For one reason or another Robert could not sing this song.

He sang it true to the album on HTWWW. I rest my case. I, personally, think the song was better for the way he sang it live.

I can name more shows where his voice broke up or he was off key than I can shows where he got it pretty well.

I don't judge a song off one performance, but I agree HTWWW was good... I think it has alot to do with it being one of the last songs of the night... I was just saying he sucked at opening with Rock & Roll... I don't know why.. maybe in the later years he needed a song or two at first to get warmed up?

I think Robert used to absolutely nail Rock and Roll in 71/72 I haven't heard many bootlegs but I'm sure a bootleg expert can confirm. I love the one from Australia 1972, click - the footage is great and I wish there was more of it. It's true by 1973 his voice had lowered and he didn't bother to warm up so with Rock and Roll as the set opener he didn't sing it too good, although most the time he still managed to make it sound cool.

There's a California show from 1972 (either Long Beach or L.A) with a great version of Rock And Roll IMO. He nails this long note, and the crowd goes crazy. I believe right after the song is where he goes after a guy in the audience who's causing trouble. "Hey big man, big man...".

He needs more time to warm up in the later years. That's why many people don't like the versions after '72. Look at Knebworth. He nails it so well because he's fully warmed up. But many opener versions are awesome too.

Listen to the studio version again, Docron's right. Nothing beats the studio track of "It's Been A Long Time," I mean "Rock and Roll." I've heard Bonzo play some hellafied drum outros but never heard Plant emote like he did at Headley Grange.

Baby, let my love come runnin' in . . .

Page & Plant in Rio I think it was - aired on MTV. Killer version. That's the one folks.

I enjoy the swagger of TSRTS, and I agree the Oz version is great (effortless)...the HTWWW versions seem to lack the weight of the studio version, but Jimmy's guitar was better live.

Listen to the studio version again, Docron's right. Nothing beats the studio track of "It's Been A Long Time," I mean "Rock and Roll." I've heard Bonzo play some hellafied drum outros but never heard Plant emote like he did at Headley Grange.

Baby, let my love come runnin' in . . .

Personally, I've never much liked the studio version of Rock n Roll, mainly because of the sound of the guitar. Its quite thin and Page's playing is much more mechanical than the way he approached it live, which was 'very loose'.

It just has so much more balls live that Plants shitty vocals have never really bothered me.

Favorite: TSRTS

• 1 year later...

Belfast 1971. Roberts vocals are ferocious. <--- B) #1

After 73 Robert's vocals were iffy, but there were definitely quite a few solid performances.

Tuscon 1972 ---> nice

Houston 1973 ---> nice

San Francisco 1973 ---> nice

Frankfurt 1980 ---> nice

Just a few :D

Seattle 17-7-77....... Just kidding. :P

TSRTS is the best I've heard. Although in my opinion its a song that didnt really change that much, there wasn't much they could do with it.

Seattle 17-7-77....... Just kidding. :P

TSRTS is the best I've heard. Although in my opinion its a song that didnt really change that much, there wasn't much they could do with it.

It's a tune that definitely seemed to work better as an encore rather than an opener, IMO. Some of those '75 versions, Plant's voice is so shot it's goddamn painful to listen to!

Must be said, not a big fan of the song live. I prefer the coked up swagger of the studio take. YMMV of course...

It's a tune that definitely seemed to work better as an encore rather than an opener, IMO. Some of those '75 versions, Plant's voice is so shot it's goddamn painful to listen to!

Agreed. While I do like the song as an opener, the 75 versions are pretty shotty to put it mildly. I do like the 77+ versions with the extended "Lonely lonely lonely" bit at the end. B)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived