Underappreciated shows

solar

Let me start this by saying I'm re-listening to Salt Lake City 73, and as curt as the band is and as much as you can tell they'd rather be in LA (i.e. no WLL medley)....whoa, they are musically at their peak!!! I've said how much I love the end of the first leg of that tour, but this show is to me one of the shining examples of why Peter Grant contacted the film crew to join up with the band on the second leg. Plant's not overdoing it, so vocally he's cooking, and the band is as tight as ever. Not to mention, the quality of the soundboard recording is to die for.

I've got a bunch more, but what shows do you think don't get their just due?

I think a few shows in 1980 don't get enough appreciation. The first couple of shows that tour were pretty solid. And Vienna 6-26 was a really solid show. Especially after the firecracker hit Page.

The San Diego show 2 days after the show you are talking about in Utah is another one.

Dublin 3-6-71 is a great one. Yale 8-15 is another good one no one seems to talk about.

Mobile Alabama 5-13-73 and Los Angeles 6-3-73.

Although Mobile lacks the end of the concert and the tape is flawed at the beginning in L.A. by combining them you have a great 1973 artifact---part soundboard, part audience, all clean.

St. Louis 2-16-75 is a complete soundboard and a rather nasty piece of work. Plant's vocal chords had seen better days but the show sounds tremendous. Excuse me, I think I'll put that in the CD player right now (to bring the balance back.)

I've said it before: Copenhagen 7/24/79, possibly the best post '75 playing by Page.

I don't know what got into him during this concert (or out of him), but he really seemed to come out of the fog here, but one week later he was struggling again.

For some reason, the frailty of Jimmy Page has always been part of the attraction for me.

I've said it before: Copenhagen 7/24/79, possibly the best post '75 playing by Page.

I don't know what got into him during this concert (or out of him), but he really seemed to come out of the fog here, but one week later he was struggling again.

I second that.

Also I thought Cologne, Dortmund, Zurich and Frankfurt were exciting sounding 1980 bootlegs.

5/28/72 Brussels Belgium - One of my fave 72 performances.

7/7/73 Chicago- Not a great night for Plant but still a great one.

7/12/73 Detroit - 'nother fave 73 show.

2/14/75 New York - Doesnt get nearly the attention that the 12th gets but it should, IMO.

3/5/75 Dallas- I love the AUD source from this show, great night for Bonzo.

6/7/77 NYC- Fun show to listen to, nice atmosphere and good performance.

Even if Plant can't sing in the high registers anymore the guy is still a great vocalist. When I heard Jones' lame warbling alongside Plant's voice on The Battle of Evermore live in 1977 it really emphasized just how good a singer he is.

Let me start this by saying I'm re-listening to Salt Lake City 73, and as curt as the band is and as much as you can tell they'd rather be in LA (i.e. no WLL medley)....whoa, they are musically at their peak!!! I've said how much I love the end of the first leg of that tour, but this show is to me one of the shining examples of why Peter Grant contacted the film crew to join up with the band on the second leg. Plant's not overdoing it, so vocally he's cooking, and the band is as tight as ever. Not to mention, the quality of the soundboard recording is to die for.

I've got a bunch more, but what shows do you think don't get their just due?

:notworthy: Yes! I whole heartily agree. I was there, and despite a few glitches here and there, they were fantastic! Back then Salt Lake wasn't exactly a rock star town, and a lot bands playing there would often just fly back to LA. (Actually the ones who stayed over or for a few days all had a great time, from what I saw.) It was the first showing of the laser, that SLC saw, which of course, you can't hear in a bootleg. But that BLEW my mind! When Jimmy took out his bow...on went the laser, and he would point it and there would be the light, then a rainbow! OMFG, I was told by Showco's "Tiny" I would be in for a BIG surprise that night. He was so excited himself. I also remember the sound guys really being "nervous" to get everything perfect! (I was there at like..the crack of dawn...lol)

THAT show is what LED..lol, me to head out to San Diego after feeling I could not live if I did not see that again, and right away.

I LOVED it. :thumbsup::hippy:

Yet again, in Salt Lake in 69, they blew the minds of everyone, no boot of that exists that I know of.

:notworthy: Yes! I whole heartily agree. I was there, and despite a few glitches here and there, they were fantastic! Back then Salt Lake wasn't exactly a rock star town, and a lot bands playing there would often just fly back to LA. (Actually the ones who stayed over or for a few days all had a great time, from what I saw.) It was the first showing of the laser, that SLC saw, which of course, you can't hear in a bootleg. But that BLEW my mind! When Jimmy took out his bow...on went the laser, and he would point it and there would be the light, then a rainbow! OMFG, I was told by Showco's "Tiny" I would be in for a BIG surprise that night. He was so excited himself. I also remember the sound guys really being "nervous" to get everything perfect! (I was there at like..the crack of dawn...lol)

THAT show is what LED..lol, me to head out to San Diego after feeling I could not live if I did not see that again, and right away.

I LOVED it. :thumbsup::hippy:

Yet again, in Salt Lake in 69, they blew the minds of everyone, no boot of that exists that I know of.

Great story and detail! SO .... just how good was it seeing that San Diego show? I saw NickZepp posted that one right away as an underappreciated one, and I fully agree - that S.D. show might even be the best from that blistering leg of the tour (though I'll always have a soft part in my heart for the last show in L.A.).

7-12-73- Great Show

I think it is the only time they did Dancing Days

No they played Dancing Days all through 72 and early 73. They quit playing it for most of the American tour of 73 except for maybe one or two shows. Then they played an acoustic version a few times in 77. Maryland and LA and maybe New York also.

Oakland 9-2-70, better show than Bluberry Hill! Check it!

I agree with that. Definately one of the most underated shows from a great tour

Great story and detail! SO .... just how good was it seeing that San Diego show? I saw NickZepp posted that one right away as an underappreciated one, and I fully agree - that S.D. show might even be the best from that blistering leg of the tour (though I'll always have a soft part in my heart for the last show in L.A.).

Actually.....my friend and I got there JUST as the concert was ending. :(

But I hooked up with my "buddies" and they took us up to LA and that riot house. I was pretty upset we didn't make it in time, but Kezar made up for it. We watched from adjacent buildings. By then, our "free passes" had worn out. :( But what a a week! B)

But I hooked up with my "buddies" and they took us up to LA and that riot house.

I envy you Hotplant! I can only imagine what "The Riot House" was like then!

Actually.....my friend and I got there JUST as the concert was ending. :(

But I hooked up with my "buddies" and they took us up to LA and that riot house. I was pretty upset we didn't make it in time, but Kezar made up for it. We watched from adjacent buildings. By then, our "free passes" had worn out. :( But what a a week! B)

:D

I loved the two nights that LZ played at Nassau Coliseum in '72 but I've read little about them. I've been asked several times to reconstruct my memories of those nights and I've jotted things down. What stands out immediately was hearing Tangerine played live and that school was still in session, the concerts were in the middle of the school week, and my friends and I missed several days of school.

It was something else. And a blast!

It was like a song.

The bottle is almost empty the clock just now struck ten

and darling I had to call you to our favorite place again

we know it's wrong for us to meet but the fire's gone out at home

and there's nothing cold as ashes

L.E. White

No they played Dancing Days all through 72 and early 73. They quit playing it for most of the American tour of 73 except for maybe one or two shows. Then they played an acoustic version a few times in 77. Maryland and LA and maybe New York also.

I ment the north american tour of 73,

But thanks for clarifying

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I LOVE Vancouver 3/19/75, what a great vibe and show!

Also the Valentine's Night show from Nassau, NY '75 is a great vibe show. Sound quality is not great but Plant is very entertaining and they were very loose.

Archived