Underappreciated shows

solar

• 3 weeks later...
Let me start this by saying I'm re-listening to Salt Lake City 73, and as curt as the band is and as much as you can tell they'd rather be in LA (i.e. no WLL medley)....whoa, they are musically at their peak!!! I've said how much I love the end of the first leg of that tour, but this show is to me one of the shining examples of why Peter Grant contacted the film crew to join up with the band on the second leg. Plant's not overdoing it, so vocally he's cooking, and the band is as tight as ever. Not to mention, the quality of the soundboard recording is to die for.

I've got a bunch more, but what shows do you think don't get their just due?

Rhode island, Providence 21.7.73.

I dont often have a lot to say on this fabulous forum, generally just like to read all your expert opinions!

But this shows prompted me to ask your thoughts.

The boot in question 'Theres so much more sounds to hear' sounds to me one of THE greatest ever captured to tape. Im by no means a completist (bout 90 bootlegs i think?).

Robert gives the crowd a major bollocking as well (Thats a ticking off to us limeys).

Has it blew anybody elses brains out or is it just me :huh:

It is a nice cover. Whiskey A Go Go was a nice find

If you include the Dazed and Confused as a 'cover' (I'm Confused by Jake Holmes), that whole bootleg was covers. B)

As Long as I have you

I can't quit you

Train kept a rollin

Babe I'm gonna leave you

Dazed and Confused

Killing Floor

For Your Love

1. July 20, 1973 @ Boston Garden: Just got the "Boston Cream Pie" cd

recently and just gotta say that even with the terrible recording quality

(it sounds like the guy was way in the upper deck or even outside the

hall when he recorded this), you can tell the band is really COOKING

at this gig. And the the excitement apparently is overwhelming the

audience as it seems constantly in a state of near-riot, Robert asking

people to stop pushing and move back; various audience shouts for

people to sit down, etc., etc.

I would love to hear from anyone who was at this Boston show, as I

am curious as to whether Misty Mountain Hop/Since I've Been Loving You

was really dropped from the set that night, or if everyone just thinks

it wasn't played because the taper didn't record it? Also, there is no

encore on my cd...again, did the band really not play an encore?

If so, that's too bad, as judging by how the band sounds, Boston should

have gotten really smoking versions of Since I've Been Loving You

and The Ocean and/or Communication Breakdown.

I think another reason Boston 1973 gets overlooked is because of the upcoming

New York Madison Square Garden shows later that week.

But really, if you overlook the bad recording job, you can hear that the 7.20.73

Boston Garden show is up there with the best of the 1973 tour!

2. March 12, 1975 Long Beach Arena: Maybe it is because I went to this show

with my smoking hot girlfriend of the time, but I remember this show more

fondly than the later LA Forum shows of 3.24, 25, 27.08.

Again, if you listen to the Mike Millard boot, "Taking No Prisoners Tonight",

you can hear a really great show(esp. by 1975 standards) is taking place

even though for some reason Mike has the bass levels really high.

An excellent No Quarter and my first experience seeing "Woodstock"

sung during "Dazed & Confused"(which I always thought fit the spooky

mood of D & C better than "San Francisco") are highlights of this show;

along with an almost complete "Crunge" during WLL!

Again, like the 1973 Boston show, I think nobody really mentions the 1975

Long Beach shows is because of the shows that lay ahead: the Seattle/

Vancouver marathons and of course, the final LA Forum orgies.

But if you haven't yet, give the 3.12.75 show a listen...it is quite enjoyable

and doesn't IMO seem to drag like some of the later LA Forum gigs later

that month.

3. July 23-24? 1979 Copenhagen warm-ups: I still have the three record vinyl

set from Japan that I bought in 1980 for $15 and to this day, it is about the

only post-1977 Led Zeppelin show I play regularly. It is so much better than

you would think it would be if all you knew about post-77 Zep was the Knebworth

and 1980 Euro boots. Only minus is that annoying Dutch rhythmic clapping.

1. July 20, 1973 @ Boston Garden: Just got the "Boston Cream Pie" cd

recently and just gotta say that even with the terrible recording quality

(it sounds like the guy was way in the upper deck or even outside the

hall when he recorded this), you can tell the band is really COOKING

at this gig. And the the excitement apparently is overwhelming the

audience as it seems constantly in a state of near-riot, Robert asking

people to stop pushing and move back; various audience shouts for

people to sit down, etc., etc.

I would love to hear from anyone who was at this Boston show, as I

am curious as to whether Misty Mountain Hop/Since I've Been Loving You

was really dropped from the set that night, or if everyone just thinks

it wasn't played because the taper didn't record it? Also, there is no

encore on my cd...again, did the band really not play an encore?

If so, that's too bad, as judging by how the band sounds, Boston should

have gotten really smoking versions of Since I've Been Loving You

and The Ocean and/or Communication Breakdown.

I think another reason Boston 1973 gets overlooked is because of the upcoming

New York Madison Square Garden shows later that week.

But really, if you overlook the bad recording job, you can hear that the 7.20.73

Boston Garden show is up there with the best of the 1973 tour!

2. March 12, 1975 Long Beach Arena: Maybe it is because I went to this show

with my smoking hot girlfriend of the time, but I remember this show more

fondly than the later LA Forum shows of 3.24, 25, 27.08.

Again, if you listen to the Mike Millard boot, "Taking No Prisoners Tonight",

you can hear a really great show(esp. by 1975 standards) is taking place

even though for some reason Mike has the bass levels really high.

An excellent No Quarter and my first experience seeing "Woodstock"

sung during "Dazed & Confused"(which I always thought fit the spooky

mood of D & C better than "San Francisco") are highlights of this show;

along with an almost complete "Crunge" during WLL!

Again, like the 1973 Boston show, I think nobody really mentions the 1975

Long Beach shows is because of the shows that lay ahead: the Seattle/

Vancouver marathons and of course, the final LA Forum orgies.

But if you haven't yet, give the 3.12.75 show a listen...it is quite enjoyable

and doesn't IMO seem to drag like some of the later LA Forum gigs later

that month.

3. July 23-24? 1979 Copenhagen warm-ups: I still have the three record vinyl

set from Japan that I bought in 1980 for $15 and to this day, it is about the

only post-1977 Led Zeppelin show I play regularly. It is so much better than

you would think it would be if all you knew about post-77 Zep was the Knebworth

and 1980 Euro boots. Only minus is that annoying Dutch rhythmic clapping.

I wasnt at the Boston show cos i wasnt born yet!

But, according to The concert files these tracks were dropped due to the insanity of the crowd.

A fact mentioned at the next nights storming show in Providence where Robert describes 'last night was a complete menagerie'

• 2 weeks later...
Robert gives the crowd a major bollocking as well (Thats a ticking off to us limeys).

What was Robert upset about - fireworks?

And not to go off-topic, but may I ask where ya'll go to find these bootlegs? [just general is fine - I'm not asking for web addresses or anything] I'm deeply jealous. I've only found a few, very few boots online for sale and I've never been to a shop that sells bootlegs. Clearly, I'm looking for love in all the wrong places, so to speak.

What was Robert upset about - fireworks?

And not to go off-topic, but may I ask where ya'll go to find these bootlegs? [just general is fine - I'm not asking for web addresses or anything] I'm deeply jealous. I've only found a few, very few boots online for sale and I've never been to a shop that sells bootlegs. Clearly, I'm looking for love in all the wrong places, so to speak.

i dont think it was fireworks that was the real problem, sounds like an unruly crowd goin nuts! Getting dangerous.

I get my boots passed to me by a workmate who downloads, dont think im allowed to say any more than that!?

Sorry!

• 4 months later...

I have to say Baltimore June 11 1972 has to be my 2nd favorite 1972 show after the 6/25 show

The Baltimore show has my all time favorite version of rock and Roll, Plant is amazing on that one, and the WLL medley is one of my absolute favorites. There's one part where they are about to end Goin Down but then Page picks it up and it sounded like he wanted to go to Communication Breakdown but it didn t happen. Anyway it still sounds amazing

and oh yea the sound quality is smooth, its not harsh and distorted like the 6/25 show

I've always loved the Seattle show on 7/17/73...a really good show that seems to fly under the radar from that tour...

No, not really. It's a classic as much as Bonzo's Birthday Party, and if it was for the tape alone it wouldn't have the status it has today. A classic performance with great improvisations and of course great playing from Page. I personally think it's quite overrated, but I'm in the minority.

As for an under-rated show?:

Chicago April 6th 1977

The band may (occasionally) be struggling to find themselves at home with the new set list and songs, but you can just tell there's a jovial spirit, and the band delivers a show rising to the occasion. And more importantly, Page is playing as well as he would get that year, just not being quite up to the task for some new songs, like ALS. And Plant's voice is amazing. Before the constant touring, and the decrease in live performances for a good part of the year....

This is it, a band playing their asses off and clearly enjoying it, not usual for 77.

Highly recommended.

I didn't say Seattle '73 was unknown, just that it's usually not mentioned as a classic '73 show (the way Kezar, the two LA shows, of the MSG ones are)...

I also dig Mobile, New Orleans, and Ft Worth on '73...

and the second night in Cleveland '77 is fantastic but most people only go for the first night because of the SBD...

Longbeach 3/12/75. Not the best sounding recording, but the playing is unbelievable!

No Quarter & OTHAFA are just devestating, my current favorite live versions.

Yeah that is a fucking great show! I also love the Baton Rouge show 2/28/75...

January 22, 1973 - Southampton

Robert's voice is definitely hurting but they are on fire at this gig! :blink:

I love the version of TSRTS from this gig though. Robert's voice wouldn't allow him to go with his usual high approach, so he dropped everything down an octave. I'll tell ya, during the last verse he is on fire melodically: He turns the whole song into one long, lyrical hook.

The Knebworth 1979 is really underated. For Jimmy being on heroin and not eating his performance wasn't bad-I mean 1977 tour-Seattle you could tell that he was in pain and that the drugs were taking effect. But yeah I get pissed off when poeple underestimate that live show, Ok yeah it was not their best but still.

The Knebworth 1979 is really underated. For Jimmy being on heroin and not eating his performance wasn't bad-I mean 1977 tour-Seattle you could tell that he was in pain and that the drugs were taking effect. But yeah I get pissed off when poeple underestimate that live show, Ok yeah it was not their best but still.

Knebworth was an experiment that didn't quite live up to the band's expectations. The first show went over well, the second was borderline disastrous and cringe worthy in many aspects- some of which was out of their hands, ie the sound and monitors failing them. I used to enjoy the Knebworth performances, but after diving into the 1980 Tour, there are several better performances in 1980 by far.

Knebworth was an experiment that didn't quite live up to the band's expectations. The first show went over well, the second was borderline disastrous and cringe worthy in many aspects- some of which was out of their hands, ie the sound and monitors failing them. I used to enjoy the Knebworth performances, but after diving into the 1980 Tour, there are several better performances in 1980 by far.

I am with you. I used to love listening to Knebworth, but now it doesn't seem to have a normal concert flow or feel to it. I like the '80 tour better because you can hear more of the band comradery in the shows. O2 show kinda feels like Knebworth to me also. Anyway, just my opinion.

As far as underappreciated shows, I was listening to the first Dallas '75 show last night and boy are they cookin'!! Especially Over The Hills... an amazing version. Robert seems to get very pissed at the audience that night. :D

• 2 weeks later...

I have been listening to the LA Forum shows from '77, as I usually do when June rolls around. I think that a hugely underappreciated show is the last night of the six. The playing and energy (not to mention the sound quality of the show - thank you again Mike R.I.P.) are right up there with the first night and the vibe within the group is awesome. Another incredible L.A. show!!

• 1 month later...

Please forgive me if this has been posted elsewhere (I looked around and didn't see anything on it).

I was listening to the Copenhagen warm-up show from July, 24th 79' and I think it's one of Zeppelin's great moments. What a great show! Plant's voice is much stronger here than it was in 73 or 75 and maybe even 77. If I had to compare this show with either of the Knebworth performances, this would take the cake. It's a shame that the sound quality of this show is only of audience quality (still sounds really good). You can hear things from a distance, as it posesses a great atmosphere but you don't get the up front power that you hear from a soundboard.

But, judging just off of the gig itself-it's almost flawless. Just give it a listen and you will see what I mean.

Definitley an under appreciated show-in my book.

Archived