40 years ago today....

40 years ago today (07/07/08) marked the last ever concert by the 60s era Yardbirds. The concert was of course at Luton Technical College.

It's only a few weeks away until 7th September, which will mark 40 years since Led Zeppelin's first ever concert at Gladsaxe Teen Club. Sam are there any plans for a special celebration here? Will other fans here be celebrating? Time to break out the champagne...

40 years ago today (07/07/08) marked the last ever concert by the 60s era Yardbirds. The concert was of course at Luton Technical College.

I've never seen any conclusive proof the Luton Technical College gig was ever played.

When The Yardbirds boarded the plane for America that Spring they knew it was their

last tour. In mid-June Jimmy spent several days in New York granting interviews during

which he discussed the dissolution of The Yardbirds before returning to England. I'm

not saying this gig didn't happen - no proof of that either - I'm saying it just doesn't

add up that they decided to regroup to do a one off in Luton.

I've never seen any conclusive proof the Luton Technical College gig was ever played.

When The Yardbirds boarded the plane for America that Spring they knew it was their

last tour. In mid-June Jimmy spent several days in New York granting interviews during

which he discussed the dissolution of The Yardbirds before returning to England. I'm

not saying this gig didn't happen - no proof of that either - I'm saying it just doesn't

I completely understand why no one would meet up in Luton :D Andy, Tony are you there ?

Steve, what you're saying goes against accepted thinking. I commend you for having the balls to say it but every single source I've read always lists Luton as being their final concert, including the major music rags of the day and noted Page critic Yardbirds author Greg Russo. I have seen a concert photo from that show published in a book, which unfortunately don't have it with me at work. I'll look them up and get back to you tomorrow.

Russo might (his book is still useful though even with his POV of events), but Dave Lewis, Chris Charlesworth, Alan Clayson, and Chris Welch et al. certainly believed it happened.

Meg

Greg Russo wants the Luton gig to exist because it bolsters his claims that Chris Dreja was actively involved with Jimmy and that The Yardbirds were still a popular act in England.

Steve, what you're saying goes against accepted thinking. I commend you for having the balls to say it but every single source I've read always lists Luton as being their final concert, including the major music rags of the day and noted Page critic Yardbirds author Greg Russo. I have seen a concert photo from that show published in a book, which unfortunately don't have it with me at work. I'll look them up and get back to you tomorrow.

Well, for many years accepted thinking was Led Zeppelin played their first concert in England at the Marquee Club on 10/18/68 until David Hope confirmed they played the Mayfair in Newcastle on 10/4/68 just a few years ago.

If you do have photographic evidence of the Luton gig having being held I'd certainly

welcome an opportunity to review it. There is the possibility it was their last open

contractural obligation before the Scandanavian tour in Sept '68.

If you review the credits in Greg's book (3rd edition) you'll see he's listed my name

because we worked on Jimmy's gig chronology together for about six months. He

cannot prove or disprove the gig was held either, however, as swandown points

out Greg's a Yardbirds enthusiast, not a Page enthusiast, so he brings a bias to his

book. That's no criticism of Greg personally - we're still in touch, I still admire him

and rate all of his published works very highly.

There's never been any complete confirmation of the 1968 Yardbirds gig. But there is confirmation of on important gig on this date. The last Zeppelin gig with John Bonham in 1980 was 28 years ago.

It's only a few weeks away until 7th September, which will mark 40 years since Led Zeppelin's first ever concert at Gladsaxe Teen Club. Sam are there any plans for a special celebration here? Will other fans here be celebrating? Time to break out the champagne...

also 28 years ago on this same date was the very last Zeppelin show....strange huh!

also 28 years ago on this same date was the very last Zeppelin show....strange huh!

Merely coincidental. The original Over Europe '80 tour itinerary had a second date to be

held at the Eissporthalle in Berlin on 7/8/80 but it was dropped before tickets went on

sale.

Not to mention, in Chris Welch's Peter Grant bio, "The Man Who Led Zeppelin," it mentioned that years later Peter Grant could not remember the band playing their alleged last date in England. Peter said: "As I recall, we never played a gig after that American tour, so in reality it fell apart in America. Jim McCarty wasn't in the best of health and we had to use a session man. We had a club date in the States for $5,000. That was a lot of money. Jimmy wanted to do it and so did Chris, but the others didn't. There was a big row in a Holiday Inn. So I drafted out a letter giving Jimmy the rights to the name, which they all signed. I don't remember them doing a gig in Luton, but distinctly remember driving Jimmy around Shaftesbury Avenue near the Saville Theatre after the split..."

Based on this recollection, it certainly does seem unlikely that the Luton gig was played, especially since the other guys didn't even want to do a lucrative U.S. date and signed away the rights during the U.S. tour.

Not to mention, in Chris Welch's Peter Grant bio, "The Man Who Led Zeppelin," it mentioned that years later Peter Grant could not remember the band playing their alleged last date in England. Peter said: "As I recall, we never played a gig after that American tour, so in reality it fell apart in America. Jim McCarty wasn't in the best of health and we had to use a session man. We had a club date in the States for $5,000. That was a lot of money. Jimmy wanted to do it and so did Chris, but the others didn't. There was a big row in a Holiday Inn. So I drafted out a letter giving Jimmy the rights to the name, which they all signed. I don't remember them doing a gig in Luton, but distinctly remember driving Jimmy around Shaftesbury Avenue near the Saville Theatre after the split..."

Based on this recollection, it certainly does seem unlikely that the Luton gig was played, especially since the other guys didn't even want to do a lucrative U.S. date and signed away the rights during the U.S. tour.

Mike, you don't post here much but you know your Zep. Yeah, it never added up for me.

I forgot about that Holiday Inn anecdote. Not sure if Peter is remembering correctly, as they continue to tour using that name and so far as I know don't need permission from Jimmy to do so. I'm sure your already familiar with the alleged cease and desist order filed by Dreja in October '68.

Good points but he didn't say no it didn't happen, he said he couldn't remember (I'm refering to his interview with Tight But Loose). Peter Grant was also managing Jeff Beck at this time. Beck was on tour in the United States during July, and Grant wasn't there at Luton College on the 7th. Why? Because Jeff Beck was playing at the 5th Dimension Club, Ann Arbor, MI on the 7th July 1968. Grant was more than likely there on that day.

Meg

Good points but he didn't say no it didn't happen, he said he couldn't remember (I'm refering to his interview with Tight But Loose). Peter Grant was also managing Jeff Beck at this time. Beck was on tour in the United States during July, and Grant wasn't there at Luton College on the 7th. Why? Because Jeff Beck was playing at the 5th Dimension Club, Ann Arbor, MI on the 7th July 1968. Grant was more than likely there on that day.

Meg

Meg,

If I'm not mistaken, Peter Grant did not hook up with the Jeff Beck Tour in the U.S. until later in July 1968. Peter was definitely with Jimmy when the both of them went to see Robert Plant with Obstweedle at the West Midlands College of Higher Education in Walsall, England on 7/20/68 (the same day that the Jeff Beck Group was at the Fillmore West in San Francisco).

And, even though there are conflicting reports, it appears that Peter Grant did NOT see John Bonham play with Tim Rose at the Country Club in Hampstead, London on 7/31/68. I remember reading somewhere that Jimmy called Peter Grant, who was in the U.S. with Jeff Beck at the time, afterward to rave about Bonzo's ability. Peter was shocked that Jimmy, a notorious tightwad, called Peter on his OWN DIME for once, so Peter knew Bonzo must have been incredible.

Mike

Meg,

If I'm not mistaken, Peter Grant did not hook up with the Jeff Beck Tour in the U.S. until later in July 1968. Peter was definitely with Jimmy when the both of them went to see Robert Plant with Obstweedle at the West Midlands College of Higher Education in Walsall, England on 7/20/68 (the same day that the Jeff Beck Group was at the Fillmore West in San Francisco).

And, even though there are conflicting reports, it appears that Peter Grant did NOT see John Bonham play with Tim Rose at the Country Club in Hampstead, London on 7/31/68. I remember reading somewhere that Jimmy called Peter Grant, who was in the U.S. with Jeff Beck at the time, afterward to rave about Bonzo's ability. Peter was shocked that Jimmy, a notorious tightwad, called Peter on his OWN DIME for once, so Peter knew Bonzo must have been incredible.

Mike

July 20th. a great day indeed

I turned 1 year old on 7-20-1968

Thanks Mike. Do you have a source for that Grant timeline? I have no doubt Grant was there to see Plant on the 20th July. I did however read in TBL that he returned to the US sometime after seeing Plant, and before the 31st of July. Press reports indicate Jimmy arrived back from the US via New York on the 13th of June. At that stage Grant was still working in the US from his office there in New York. There was also a subsequent press statement issued on June 22 from New York, on the future of the Yardbirds, so Grant was still there in the US at that time to issue that statement

I agree with you on the 31st, I don't believe Grant was there to see Bonham. He was in fact in San Francisco, which Grant states as such in the TBL interview. Beck was doing dates on the West Coast at that time.

Also I should add Grant never attended any of Led Zeppelin's rehearsals prior to the Scandinavia tour. Again, he says this in the TBL interview. He trusted Jimmy's judgment on who he wanted in the band completely.

What I want to know is when that Holiday Inn incident took place. Was that prior to the 6th of June when McCarty and Relf flew back to the UK?

Meg

Meg,

Mike

Thanks Mike. Do you have a source for that Grant timeline? I have no doubt Grant was there to see Plant on the 20th July. I did however read in TBL that he returned to the US sometime after seeing Plant, and before the 31st of July. Press reports indicate Jimmy arrived back from the US via New York on the 13th of June. At that stage Grant was still working in the US from his office there in New York. There was also a subsequent press statement issued on June 22 from New York, on the future of the Yardbirds, so Grant was still there in the US at that time to issue that statement

I agree with you on the 31st, I don't believe Grant was there to see Bonham. He was in fact in San Francisco, which Grant states as such in the TBL interview. Beck was doing dates on the West Coast at that time.

Also I should add Grant never attended any of Led Zeppelin's rehearsals prior to the Scandinavia tour. Again, he says this in the TBL interview. He trusted Jimmy's judgment on who he wanted in the band completely.

What I want to know is when that Holiday Inn incident took place. Was that prior to the 6th of June when McCarty and Relf flew back to the UK?

Meg

Meg,

I'm not sure of the actual timeline. I just figured Grant may or may not have been with the Jeff Beck Group on 7/7/68 since he was not with them in the U.S. on 7/20/68 when he, Jimmy, and Chris Dreja first saw Plant.

For what it's worth, the June 29, 1968 issue of Melody Maker speculated that the Yardbirds would disband upon returning from America, with Ren Grevatt being the soure in NY. It also mentioned that Page is going to reform with a new singer and drummer. That doesn't necessarily mean that they didn't play the 7/7/68 Luton date, but it is more evidence to suggest that the band may not have.

Mike, if we can piece together some dates that can pin down certain events we might get closer to the truth. What I find frustrating is that many biographies on both the Yardbirds and Led Zeppelin, appear to have conflicting stories, dates and venues. I'm inclined to believe in what Grant says but when he gave that interview it was almost 20 years after the event. He indicated that he had business diaries and intineraries in his archive somewhere. I would love to see this archive come to light to put to bed all these conflicting events and rumours.

I would like to know when that Holiday Inn incident took place. If we can find that date it may put into perspective the events leading up to July 7.

Ren Grevatt btw was the publicist for the Yardbirds in 1968. Previously he used to work as a journalist for Melody Maker. He now has his own PR company in NJ.

Meg

Meg,

I'm not sure of the actual timeline. I just figured Grant may or may not have been with the Jeff Beck Group on 7/7/68 since he was not with them in the U.S. on 7/20/68 when he, Jimmy, and Chris Dreja first saw Plant.

For what it's worth, the June 29, 1968 issue of Melody Maker speculated that the Yardbirds would disband upon returning from America, with Ren Grevatt being the soure in NY. It also mentioned that Page is going to reform with a new singer and drummer. That doesn't necessarily mean that they didn't play the 7/7/68 Luton date, but it is more evidence to suggest that the band may not have.

There's never been any complete confirmation of the 1968 Yardbirds gig. But there is confirmation of on important gig on this date. The last Zeppelin gig with John Bonham in 1980 was 28 years ago.

sorry there nick :D I seen you got that one out before me.....my bad

nice to see you posting here mike :D

nothing to do with this post but your next one. I remember reading about Grant and Page visiting Beck in NYC on 7-14 and 15.

Keith Shadwicks book is pretty good with dates. i think anyhow

nice to see you posting here mike :D

nothing to do with this post but your next one. I remember reading about Grant and Page visiting Beck in NYC on 7-14 and 15.

Keith Shadwicks book is pretty good with dates. i think anyhow

Thanks!

I agree that Keith's book is pretty good on dates (and just a really good book, too). However, one thing I'm pretty sure he got wrong was that Peter Grant went to see the Tim Rose gig (wth Bonzo) on 7/31/68. It has been pretty widely documented that Peter was in the U.S. at the time and did not attend the show with Jimmy.

• 1 year later...

I've never seen any conclusive proof the Luton Technical College gig (7/7/68) was ever played. When The Yardbirds boarded the plane for America that Spring they knew it was their last tour. In mid-June Jimmy spent several days in New York granting interviews during which he discussed the dissolution of The Yardbirds before returning to England. I'm not saying this gig didn't happen - no proof of that either - I'm saying it just doesn't add up that they decided to regroup to do a one off in Luton.

This from Gary Davies (transcription of a December 1972 Page interview with Pete Frame for Zig Zag Magazine):

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pete Frame: "so you finally packed up after a gig at Luton College of Technology, I remember that because I was living in Luton at the time...and that was about August 68...I can't find the date.....". Page doesn't acknowledge the date, he just starts talking about Relf.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Inconclusive but interesting. They did play the Luton College of Technology on March 16, 1968, adding to the confusion.

And definately a significant moment in time. Thanks for reminding all of us :) To be a fly on the wall :D

If you can help,, I was a air force brat in Germany 66 to July71,,, I remember hearing stairway to heavan over there,,,, But ,,,, thelp was not released until Nov 71,, Am I having a bad flash back ?,,,driving me nuts oltimers disease aghghghg

is it possible that there was an early release single before the lp came out? re june july 71?

If you can help,, I was a air force brat in Germany 66 to July71,,, I remember hearing stairway to heavan over there,,,, But ,,,, thelp was not released until Nov 71,, Am I having a bad flash back ?,,,driving me nuts oltimers disease aghghghg

is it possible that there was an early release single before the lp came out? re june july 71?

Ha, know all about those bad flashbacks :lol:

Sounds like a good question for the Steve Jones Mystery thread

Archived