Santana In A Trio Mood For Next Album

Jahfin

http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/news/articl...t_id=1003678509

santana_carlos_02l.gif

Carlos Santana

Gary Graff, Detroit

After three successful albums of high-profile collaborations, Carlos Santana is preparing for a different endeavor for 2008.

The guitarist and bandleader is teaming up with producer Bill Laswell for "The Father, Son and the Holy Ghost," a three-CD set Santana tells Billboard.com will reflect his myriad musical influences. "We still love (John) Coltrane and Bob Marley and Marvin Gaye," he says, "so that music is gonna get in there. And Paco de Lucia ... very Spanish."

The base group for the recording will be a trio of Santana, his longtime keyboardist Chester "CT" Thompson and Narada Michael Walden on drums. He's also planning to incorporate guests such as Wayne Shorter, Pharoah Sanders, Kenny Garrett and others. "I have yet to do a trio band," Santana notes, "so this is my opportunity to do kind of like a Tony Williams trio thing. It's a trio with other colors; we're gonna bring other musicians in, singers and stuff like that."

Santana hopes to have the album finished and out by next summer, but no firm release date is set.

He recently recapped his career highlights with "Ultimate Santana," an Arista set that includes material from throughout his career and particularly focuses on his "Supernatural," "Shaman" and "All That I Am" albums.

"It's kind of like a family reunion; all the songs are either sisters or brothers or children," Santana says of the collection. "All I can think of is God is very generous with an incredible, long life and a lot of opportunities for the music that I play and the musicians that I share it with. For me it's a positive. It's nothing but a win-win situation."

A trio with colors, were gonna bring other musicians, singers in????WTF....that wouldn't be a trio

get ready for 3 cd's of all star jams with Carlos noodeling over the top of it

I like his older stuff but this crap of making cameo appearances on his own albums featuring the flavor of the week and playing nothing but solos is a huge cop out

C'mon Carlos, learn the freakin songs

Archived