What was your first instrument?

Good to know. Which do you prefer? Do you still play? Wind instruments are a totally different ball game than strings and skins. I dont think I could ever do it. But I respect those instruments tremendously. Love the Sax

I still play them all - I prefer drums but each holds something special to me.

Whoa, a one-woman band!

One of these days though, I'm going to learn to play the piano. I want to play Us and Them.

It's great to play on the piano. That and Breathe In The Air :)

I was trained as a dancer for many years and we were taught that our body is our instrument and our movement is our medium, so my body was my first and primary instrument. I studied piano too so that's another important instrument for me.

Piano at 9 years of age. Not by choice but I am gratefull I did it because it helps you learn music helps with other instruments. I wish I had one still. Only play guitar now. If I had a young child starting out, I would start him on piano first. It will give him a good foundation.

I agree. Piano gave me a good foundation and taught me to read music. I still play and when my children were learning other instruments (including voice) I could pick up a piece of sheet music and give them an idea of how a song should sound.

a toy "Bugs Bunny" guitar.

This just triggered a memory: when I was a toddler I received a little toy piano one Christmas.

It was something like this, but an older version: :bagoverhead:

post-5-063073700 1283384084_thumb.jpg

That is one of the most adorable things I have ever seen in my life! So cute!!! :D Thanks for posting this sam! :D And may I add, I love watching Bugs Bunny eventhough I am 22 years old! :D;)

Well, my first instrument was this Casio keyboard (I think it was a CK80 model). My mom bought it for me when I was 12! Still have it! :D

• 1 month later...

First serious instrument was a sunburst fender p-bass at 13. At 14 sold it, got an epiphone sg for $200. best investment ive made.now 18 though Looking towards getting a epiphone blackbeauty and adding a bigsby on it or i mite get a honey burst epiphone les paul. also had first drum set at 15. Cheap Ludwig accent silver sparkles, crappy cymbals that bent and dented like a trash can, sounded like trash can lids too. sold it 5 months later then 8 months later bought a ludwig cs elite custom accent green sparkles and paiste cymbals tryin to keep it bonham as much as possible. looking into getting a speed king pedal for it and the bass drum head with his symbol. other odd instruments/etc i have is a mid sixties tesco del ray ( made in mexico) sunburst bass, a 1963 blondish tan fender bassman amp.and have a 60's farfisa compact organ (pink floyd may have used one before?) and a leslie tone cabinet for the organ( supposedly jimmy hooked his guitar to this and played a solo for a song on lz1 ?)

When I was 7 my mom and grandparents had the bright idea of buying me a set of drums. The base drum had a picture of Hawaii on it. They were soon sorry they did. I pounded on those things with reckless abandon and had a real good time. I thought it was great. Funny thing, somewhere along the way they just disappeared. Kids have a short attention spann, so I never really noticed

• 1 month later...

My first instrument was the guitar. I had always watched my uncle play one when ever i use to visit and i made sure to visit alot. I thought it was amazing that such tones could be made and how they could be amp'd to a point of bliss. When i was 14 i had received my first official guitar. Not counting the guitars in the family i use to pick up every now and again. But the first real one, was from a local guitar shop in Toronto, Ontario. I of course had no real prior knowledge of how to buy a guitar as it had been my first. So i had just went purely on budget and looks as soon as i walked in i had fallen for a white maple strat. It was a made in Mexico strat but none the less it played amazing and to this day i still have it working perfectly. I use it all the time when i want to just chill out and play. Still my fav to take out and play. Im Just surprised its lasted all this time

• 1 month later...

1st musical instrument? It was an acoustic guitar that my father bought to me when I was maybe 12/13 years old.

But my father didn't have the patience to wait me finding a teacher and he sold it a few months later. So, I had to start working in order to save some money to buy my 1st drum kit.

Archived