IS ROBERT PLANT THE MALE JANIS JOPLIN?

I know that this sounds weird but do you think that there are similarities between ROBERT PLANT and JANIS JOPLIN as far as singing goes? In my opinion, both singers belt out their songs with such emotion and fury and they both sing the blues almost the same identical way. Their styles are very similar. Now I ask you, my fellow ZEPPELIN die hard fanatics, what do you think?

I've never really read about it, but she must have been huge influence on him. Or perhaps they arrived at the same place because they are much the same in that they are both WASPs from middle class backgrounds who fell in love with the blues.

Another similiar case is Patti Smith's influence on U2's Bono. Although Bono does cite her as one of his chief influences. Bono has said that he very much tried to perform like Patti Smith.

If I had been a singer my choiciest influence would have been Chrissie Hynde, no doubt about that.

I've never really read about it, but she must have been huge influence on him. Or perhaps they arrived at the same place because they are much the same in that they are both WASPs from middle class backgrounds who fell in love with the blues.

Another similiar case is Patti Smith's influence on U2's Bono. Although Bono does cite her as one of his chief influences. Bono has said that he very much tried to perform like Patti Smith.

If I had been a singer my choiciest influence would have been Chrissie Hynde, no doubt about that.

Patti Smith and Bono, A BEAUTIFUL MATCH! Chrissie is another. You know your R & R!

I know that this sounds weird but do you think that there are similarities between ROBERT PLANT and JANIS JOPLIN as far as singing goes? In my opinion, both singers belt out their songs with such emotion and fury and they both sing the blues almost the same identical way. Their styles are very similar. Now I ask you, my fellow ZEPPELIN die hard fanatics, what do you think?

I've always thought that they were the same. just one bieng female and the other male.

I remember reading somewhere that she took him under her wing during the first American tour. In a 2005 tv interview he talks about her with a lot of respect. They do sound very similar.

I remember reading somewhere that she took him under her wing during the first American tour. In a 2005 tv interview he talks about her with a lot of respect. They do sound very similar.

i've read this and saw the interview as well. he did speak of her reverently. i found it odd that the subject had never really come up before. i need to look this up....

He always kind of reminded me of her in Communication Breakdown. Esp. that "WHAOH!" scream at the end.

All of you are right! Everytime I have seen and heard Robert Plant sing, it feels like the spirit of Janis Joplin is possessing him.

When I was a kid living at home blaring Zeppelin in my bedroom with the door shut, my mom would open the door, tell me to turn it down, and ask, "Is that Janis Joplin?". Being from Janis' hometown, Port Arthur, TX, I've always loved her music. I discovered Zeppelin around the same time and was even more into it, so I never confused the two, but I can easily see how similar they are in almost everyway. They even wore similar blouses. And they both have a clef chin. And slept with women. etc......

When I was a kid living at home blaring Zeppelin in my bedroom with the door shut, my mom would open the door, tell me to turn it down, and ask, "Is that Janis Joplin?". Being from Janis' hometown, Port Arthur, TX, I've always loved her music. I discovered Zeppelin around the same time and was even more into it, so I never confused the two, but I can easily see how similar they are in almost everyway. They even wore similar blouses. And they both have a clef chin. And slept with women. etc......

ALRIGHT FELLOW TEXAN! I'm from and now living in my hometown which is San Antonio, Texas. I did live in Sacramento and Los Angeles, California for a combined 29 years. ROCK ON!

Who knows. She died too soon, it's a terrible thing and it happened to some amazing people with amazing talent. Janis was really intellegent, and knew she had a talent. I think she and Robert would have made an album together.

No, there won't be. Talent like that only comes once, it's a shame.

When JANIS sang, she gave it all to you! She actually bared her soul before your very eyes with such power and emotion that you couldn't help but feel hypnotized into her pain. You actually felt with her when you heard her sing. There are so many songs by JANIS that moves me like no other singer ever would or ever could again. I'm talking about songs such as "Me And Bobby McGee," "Cry Baby," "A Woman Left Lonely," "Trust Me," "Mercedes Benz," "Bye Bye Baby," "Piece Of My Heart," "Summertime" and "Ball And Chain" to name a few. Those songs had power because she sang them from the heart as only she knew how to do it. There was NOTHING phony about her songs at all! ROCK ON!