BEST ZEP BOOTS

zoso

How many of you guys have seen this? It's various people giving their list of the 13 best bootleg recordings. There's a lot of overlap, with certain concerts coming up again and again in peoples' lists: 8/31/69 Dallas, 9/4/70 ("Blueberry Hill"), 6/21/77 ("Listen To This Eddie"), 3/21/75 Seattle, etc.

http://uuweb.led-zeppelin.us/bakers_dozen.htm

I'm sure there is more stuff out there. New stuff still does come out every once in a while.

Like a couple days ago. A soundboard of the 05.28.77 Landover show came out. The show has it's good moments. IMO great versions of Since I've Been Loving You and Ten Years Gone.

Like a couple days ago. A soundboard of the 05.28.77 Landover show came out. The show has it's good moments. IMO great versions of Since I've Been Loving You and Ten Years Gone.

I listened to a sample from that show... Sounded pretty rough to thyne ears if I'm being honest.. The sound quality was top notch though, so you've always got to be grateful for a SBD release..

I listened to a sample from that show... Sounded pretty rough to thyne ears if I'm being honest.. The sound quality was top notch though, so you've always got to be grateful for a SBD release..

I prefer the audio to this new sbd than the boards of the Houston and earlier Landover show. Seems like every year we get a new soundboard release from the 1975 and 1977 tours. Can't complain about that.

I prefer the audio to this new sbd than the boards of the Houston and earlier Landover show. Seems like every year we get a new soundboard release from the 1975 and 1977 tours. Can't complain about that.

I always like a warm-sounding 75 or 77 SBD... Good for a long car journey! B)

Once I get my tracker problem sorted out at a certain somewhere, i'll see if I can check the whole thing out...

IMO

There's still plenty of unearthed material to see the light of day eventually. Just look at all the LZ shows where there's no known documentation, besides all the other collected bands.

Collector's not only buy the cd's for the music, they like the packaging. Plus the manufactured CD's are more durable than cdr's. If you like a picture, would you rather have a Xerox copy or the photo itself ? Is that a fair analogy ? Sure the quality of the sound can be as good on cdr as a silver cd, but still.....

Those 2 reasons are why I prefer 'legit' bootlegs. :lol: Though I have very few silvers because of their cost, to others the cost is less prohibitive.

Maybe someone with a ton of silvers will chime in.....

Ýou're right Joel. Even recieving the package from a certain country is a joy. Not to mention opening it, getting out the boot, putting a disc in the cd player and start listening to it. Admiring the package and reading in the Concert File or Rey's book about the show.

Here's mine in chronological order, all Soundboards & the best quality ones at that, I personally have no time for audience recordings, but Love all the shows below

Fillmore West, San Francisco, California 11th January 1969

Copenhagen 16th March 1969

Fillmore West, San Francisco, California, 27th April 1969 (2 CD)

Texas International Pop Festival, Dallas, TX 31st August 1969

Complete Royal Albert Hall, 9th January 1970 (2 CD)

Complete BBC Sessions (4 CD)

DVD Audio Rip (4 CD)

Southampton 22nd January 1973 (2 CD)

Madison Sq Gardens, NY 12th Feb 1975 (3 CD)

Missouri Arena, St. Louis, MO 16th Feb 1975 (3 CD)

Dallas 5th March 1975 (3 CD)

San Diego 14th March 1975 (3 CD)

Vancouver 19th March 1975 (3 CD)

Cleveland 27th April 1977 (2 CD)

Landover, Maryland 28th May 1977 (3 CD)

Knebworth 4th August 1979 (3 CD)

Knebworth 11th August 1979 (3 CD)

Dortmund 17th June 1980 (2 CD)

Frankfurt, DE, 30th June 1980 (2 CD)

Over Europe 1980 (Tour Compilation) (2 CD)

Graham

I would advice you to give some a try, you're missing out on some great stuff.

Hi Pieter

I'm not knocking anybody who enjoys them I wish I could myself, but I've been collecting boots for 20 or more years now & I've got more fussy as time goes on & prefer only the best SBD's, ALD's, IEM's or Radio Broadcasts especially with powerful bands such as Zeppelin I just find the audience recordings to be just an awful noise, and i even find myself ditching Soundboards that are not the best quality, I guess now I'm in my 40's middle age has caught up with me. :rolleyes:

Hi Pieter

I'm not knocking anybody who enjoys them I wish I could myself, but I've been collecting boots for 20 or more years now & I've got more fussy as time goes on & prefer only the best SBD's, ALD's, IEM's or Radio Broadcasts especially with powerful bands such as Zeppelin I just find the audience recordings to be just an awful noise, and i even find myself ditching Soundboards that are not the best quality, I guess now I'm in my 40's middle age has caught up with me. :rolleyes:

I hear you. I guess when you collect that long you probably heard great quality audience recordings like Listen To This Eddie, Blueberry Hill and Montreux 1970 to name a few. :D

The big issue also is storage space & prioritising what you hold on to, I've got thousands of CD's & DVD's by many artists & it's hard finding time to listen to all the great quality stuff, so I just tend to now keep only the ones I'm likely to listen to. And being on the internet with so much good music to be had, is like a kid in sweet shop and you never know when to stop.

Graham

The best recorded Led zeppelin I've ever encountered, and I've heard and collected many in years past was recorded at the fillmore west in San Francisco april 27th 1969. No other boot that I've collected or herd even came close. The widely legal marketed "Song Remains the Same" though not a boot leg is the only other live recording that I would compare with the quality of the fillmore show. This recording is an absolute listening must. I also am open ears to any others that you might find to be extremely significant in their sound quality.

sincerely, Horselunges

If I had to make a choice from the list I made above & pick my favourite, then I would have to say it's "Southampton 22nd January 1973" the Kevin Shirley Mixdown, great show, small venue, good banter no Moby Dick or excessive solo's & a Stellar performance & I just love it.

Graham

Flying Circus (New York Feb 1975). It would outsell TSRTS in the racks. Astounding.

I actually prefer the St. Louis and Vancouver shows from '75. Quality is very similar, Plant's voice was much better, and the performances were just as tight, if not better. But I certainly dig Flying Circus.

I actually prefer the St. Louis and Vancouver shows from '75. Quality is very similar, Plant's voice was much better, and the performances were just as tight, if not better. But I certainly dig Flying Circus.

I have to say I'm with Solar on this, St Louis & Vancouver & are my 2 favourites of the 1975 shows, with St Louis having the edge for me especially love Heartbreaker with Shame. Shame, Shame incorporated into it. Though of the 5 SBD's I have from 1975 all of them are essential & there's not much to choose between any of them.

Graham

I like 73 and 75 boots...

but with all due respect, what happened to Plant's voice between 72 and 73? I mean listen to HTWWW and then listen to Southampton onwards. This change is also very apparent between Rock and Roll in Australia in 72 and Rock and Roll in TSRTS.

I'm sure you Zeppelin experts have already discussed this issue, but as a newcomer this seems the best place to ask.

Also btw, the video footage of Australia on the DVD is great. Are there any good quality bootlegs of any of the shows in the Australia/New Zealand tour in 72?

Agreed, those are awesome shows! I also like Baton Rouge.

I like 73 and 75 boots...

but with all due respect, what happened to Plant's voice between 72 and 73? I mean listen to HTWWW and then listen to Southampton onwards. This change is also very apparent between Rock and Roll in Australia in 72 and Rock and Roll in TSRTS.

This is a very interesting subject.

I have recordings from 22 Dec 72 London and 15 Jan 73 Stoke and Plant's style and range is vastly different. His sound in Dec 72 is pretty good, recordings from the October Japanese tour show his voice to go from very strong to slightly strained - Over the Hills and Far Away is a good song to judge the strength of his voice due to the many higher register vocal lines.

I have read some reviews of bootlegs in between the ones I have from Jan 2 - Jan 14 1973. I think they help in finding out what happened to his voice:

Jan 2 City Hall Sheffield UK

"Plant goes mute! From the beginning it is pretty apparent that something is very wrong with his voice and it's really painful to hear him even trying to sing! The flu has taken its vengeance! He's just caught it hitchhiking to Sheffield and the next two dates will be cancelled. The amazing audience doesn't seem to mind anyway!

(In Since I've Been Loving You) heard for the first time as an instrumental while Plant narrates it!

The same happens with Dazed and Confused which becomes a completely new experience without Plant!

Jan 7, New Theatre, Oxford, UK

" Plant has recovered enough to wander again through the increasingly powerful instrumental machinery. His fluctuating vocals break constantly and he's forced to do strange and funny arrangements"

Jan 14, The Empire, Liverpool, UK

"Although Plant's voice is partially recovered, all the weight of the performance still lies in the power of the instrumental section"

It seems that the rigours of touring, cigarettes and lengthy sets didn't give Plant much chance at recovering his voice. Maybe the experience of hardly being able to sing on stage encouraged him to change his style - more use of effects (delay/ doubling) to thicken his voice as assistance from the mixer. Interestingly, the audiences don't seem to mind and this must have some effect on his decisions.

(Quotes taken from "Led Zeppelin Live" - by Luis Rey - a great addition to the collectors reference material)

Archived