Plant being selfish again!

O2 Arena Concert, London - 12.10.07

Forum Led by: admin Threads-794 Replies-16,409

How long we going to milk this thing? Please delete this dry cow forum.

No shit. We're going on almost 8 months since this show, time to euthanize it. It's good for more trouble than anything productive.

I sincerely hate these topics. Robert Plant has given the world over 40 years of music. What more does everyone want from the guy? If he were a regular guy, working a regular job, he could be retired by now.

I sincerely hate these topics. Robert Plant has given the world over 40 years of music. What more does everyone want from the guy? If he were a regular guy, working a regular job, he could be retired by now.

Here here well said :thumbsup:

If it were not for LZ he would never have had the chance to record "Raising Sand." But, I do understand that he is getting old and tired now and this kind of music more suits him now. It's just a fact of life, he realizes that he has waited to long to do LZ justice. Look at how he was the weak link at the 02 show, not bad, but not as good as the rest.

I rather doubt that. Robert Plant was performing before he sang with Led Zeppelin. He found people to work with before he joined Led Zeppelin, and it only makes sense that he found people to work with after Led Zeppelin experienced a life change. I also believe that he has already done Led Zeppelin justice, in the time when it was perfectly natural to do so. And now he is doing what he needs to do now.

I'm free

and I'm waiting for you to follow me

-The Who

How open minded you are. I sure hope that Robert won't read this, It is so horrible that so many want to see him do what made him famous. And, it is not "Raising Sand". If it were not for LZ he would never have had the chance to record "Raising Sand." But, I do understand that he is getting old and tired now and this kind of music more suits him now. It's just a fact of life, he realizes that he has waited to long to do LZ justice. Look at how he was the weak link at the 02 show, not bad, but not as good as the rest.

If anyone is the weakest link (or is that the missing link?) it's you.

Why don't you do us all a favour and change the friggin record, scs?

Unlike you he has contributed something to the world.

Were you abused as a kid to have such a chip on your shoulder?

Like I said before you are talking from Uranus.

I can't wait for one of your snappy retorts, just try to come up with

something original for a change.

I rather doubt that. Robert Plant was performing before he sang with Led Zeppelin. He found people to work with before he joined Led Zeppelin, and it only makes sense that he found people to work with after Led Zeppelin experienced a life change. I also believe that he has already done Led Zeppelin justice, in the time when it was perfectly natural to do so. And now he is doing what he needs to do now.

Come on, I agree he would have probably had a career without Zeppelin, but I don't think Planet 51 is wrong when he said Robert wouldn't have done Raising Sand if he hadn't been in Zep. Everything he's done before has led him to this point, and Zeppelin is still the greatest thing he's ever done.

For a comparison, Terry Reid is a hugely talented singer and artist. I'd venture a guess that most people on this board have never seriously listened to him. I also have to believe that if Terry Reid called Alison Krauss two years ago her reaction would have been "Terry who???"

Come on, I agree he would have probably had a career without Zeppelin, but I don't think Planet 51 is wrong when he said Robert wouldn't have done Raising Sand if he hadn't been in Zep. Everything he's done before has led him to this point, and Zeppelin is still the greatest thing he's ever done.

For a comparison, Terry Reid is a hugely talented singer and artist. I'd venture a guess that most people on this board have never seriously listened to him. I also have to believe that if Terry Reid called Alison Krauss two years ago her reaction would have been "Terry who???"

That's hard to answer what would have been as far as Robert's career had he not met Pagey. I suspect he'd have been hugely successful. A voice like his how could it not. All speculation really.

That's hard to answer what would have been as far as Robert's career had he not met Pagey. I suspect he'd have been hugely successful. A voice like his how could it not. All speculation really.

I obviously am sold on his huge talent but talent doesn't always win out. If it did Terry Reid would be a household name too. Everything we are now is shaped by what we did before, that's really my point. One can't assume that Plant would have been huge without Zeppelin.

I obviously am sold on his huge talent but talent doesn't always win out. If it did Terry Reid would be a household name too. Everything we are now is shaped by what we did before, that's really my point. One can't assume that Plant would have been huge without Zeppelin.

And one can't assume that he wouldn't have been.

Jimmy hasn't called Tery Reid back.

And one can't assume that he wouldn't have been.

Jimmy hasn't called Tery Reid back.

And one can't assume that he would have wound up doing Raising Sand with Allison Krauss and T Bone Burnett in 2007 if he hadn't become world famous in Led Zeppelin.

Full circle...

No offence mstork but by exactly the same token one can't assume he wouldn't have. It goes both ways. ^_^

Anyway I'm sure the debate will rage on.............

I hope you don't think I'm denigrating him, his talent, or his career. My point is being in Led Zeppelin has opened a myriad of doors for Robert, Jimmy, and John Paul should they choose to open them. Raising Sand was in all probablity one of those doors! :D

Barabajagal

Listen at 2:57 and 3:26 on Barabajagal. Donovan certainly had a backgound in folk music, and Robert Plant might progressively have had more exposure to folk through him if he had not been focused on Jimmy Page's music.

He might have done Raising Sand if he had not been in Led Zeppelin, because he would have developed a musical background of some sort. His interest in the blues would have led him somewhere. There is a tradition in the blues where it meets with folk music, so it is conceivable that Robert Plant might have pursued folk music from that angle.

It's hard to say where his album with Alexis Korner and Steve Miller would have taken him if Jimmy Page had not interrupted him at that point. It's mainly a matter of speculation. Robert Plant probably could have gone in several directions.

Here is a secret that some of us have known for a long time; Robert Plant usually makes having fun his priority.

I'd definitely have to agree with you 100% on that one. Just taking us for a bit of a ride for a while, with a mystic biscuit in hand.

Is it me or is Robert Plant being extremely selfish refusing to do a reunion?? After all it was Zeppelin that made him who he is today, and after 28 years would a 6 month tour really prohibit him from finishing all the other projects he wants to do? The other members are willing to commit and give the fans what they want. Thoughts anyone?

Robert has been evolving throughout his musical career. He is no different than he ever was. He developed into a new style when he started his solo career in the 80's and he's still growing as a musician to his credit. It may be more complicated than people realize legally. Who's to say he's not ever going to do it? He's on tour with someone else right now and it seems he wants the current focus to stay on that. His fans should be able to appreciate and respect that. Some people may think because he's the singer that he cant do it. He obviously doesnt have the range he once did but he proved he still sounds great at the reunion show. Maybe a small tour would be best for him like 10 shows. Lets cross our fingers and stop complaining about Plant.

I just want to say....

"What is wrong with selfish?" We were all given the gift of life to do with as we please. Everyone must follow thier own path to happiness. Everyone's acting like they just found out there really is no Santa Clause....mabye if we're good boys and girls we'll still get presents :rolleyes:

YAWN - these threads on Robert blow. Jesus, leave the guy alone. He doesn't owe you shit, he's not being selfish, he's doing what the fuck he wants to. Just like you.

:blink:

Oxymoron, much?

Edited to add: No, NOT "just like me." I don't do what the fuck I want to very often. Alot of people don't. Strange concept, I'm sure, but, there it is. Not saying Plant shouldn't do what the fuck he wants to, more power to him. But I am sick of being told it's somehow an admirable trait.

He is making intelligent, self-directed artistic choices as much as possible.

They must be self-directed choices because others often either don't know what his best interests are, or they do not have his own best interests at heart. So he must rely on himself to choose, and to make a continually earnest endeavor to do so.

:blink:

Oxymoron, much?

Edited to add: No, NOT "just like me." I don't do what the fuck I want to very often. Alot of people don't. Strange concept, I'm sure, but, there it is. Not saying Plant shouldn't do what the fuck he wants to, more power to him. But I am sick of being told it's somehow an admirable trait.

No offense SunChild but you don't see it as an admirable trait? I see it as a given right as a human being who can make decisions and has choices. You might not always make the correct choice but we can ALL do what we want! We might suffer consequences or we might find that we are deleiriously happy!

Archived