'School of Rock' sequel coming

'School of Rock' sequel coming

Writer Mike White, director Richard Linklater and star Jack Black are all attached

By Zap2It.com

Paramount is moving forward on a sequel to the hit comedy "School of Rock," with most of the original talent attached to return.

According to Variety, Mike White is working on sequelizing his original script with the tentative title "School of Rock 2: America Rocks." Richard Linklater is attached to direct and, as you might imagine, Jack Black would return as rocker-turned-substitute-turned-rocker Dewey Finn.

Since everybody involved has discussed a possible sequel for four years, we're not sure why this is news, but the trade paper thinks so and we're happy to pass along the word.

Actually, the extra detail might be the plot: Variety says the film would involve Finn taking a group of students on a summer cross-country trip to various musically significant locations. Because what parent wouldn't want to let their kid go off on summer vacation with Jack Black?

No word on whether or not any or all of the original kids will be returning.

Made on a budget of $30 million -- the sequel would probably cost a pretty penny more -- "School of Rock" made more than $130 million worldwide.

I thought the first one was just okay, but this actually sounds like a better idea than the first one to me. Like Arntzen said, instead of Jack just name-dropping, it'd actually be teaching people something about the origins of music. I like it. I wonder where they'll stop...Memphis, San Francisco, and Seattle seem like a sure thing... Too bad CBGB just closed. I know it's School of "Rock," but I hope they get a little blues history in there, too. It's fundamental to rock music, anyway.

A little branch off from the 'does anyone still buy cd's?' thread.

Do you download?

Free music, not free music?

I personally do. As I explained in the other thread, I download (for free) to discover, and when I find music I like, I become a paying customer.

With record labels and such still leeching off of talented musicians, I really don't see much of a problem with my choice either. What is the band losing, a buck fifty? If I like them, I'd much rather go see them live or buy a shirt or something. That way they walk away with a much larger cut of the profit.

Also, this way I can hear more music. Without downloading, I would've never heard of some of the artists I now love, and the world of music today would be very different.

I'd love a sequal but I read an interview a while ago with Jack Black, he said that he isn't expecting a second one.

Archived