What is Robert trying to do?

DISCLAIMER: I know Zeppelin fans have the tendency to get extremely defensive about the band...as shown by the fact that whenever I post anything about one of Zeppelin's influences, I get a million responses saying "Shut up! They didn't steal music!" So just for the record, I am not bashing Mr. Plant here, I am just trying to figure out why he is doing what he is doing.

I'm not a huge bluegrass fan, and haven't really been following the Plant/Krauss tour, so I'm not exactly sure what the timeline here was. If the Plant/Krauss tour was announced before the 02 show (which I suspect it was), why on earth would Robert agree to do the 02 show at that specific time, months before his Krauss tour kicked off? It's not like this is right after Ahmet died; it had been an entire year. Did he not realize that suspicions of a Zeppelin reunion would completely overshadow whatever project he was trying to do?

He is not a naive man here, he's been in the music business his entire life, and he's been asked questions about reuniting with Page and Jones ever since the band split. Did he not realize these questions would increase 1000-fold after playing the first full-length show since the band split? It just blows my mind that he would be angry about hearing these questions over and over again, knowing full well that he brought it all upon himself. I'm not saying he is not right to get tired of these questions, I'm just questioning his judgment on the timing.

Not only this, but he has completely left the door open. He has not confirmed that he will be participating in a Zeppelin tour, and has not confirmed that he will not be participating. If he had done either of these, the questions would have relented. All he is doing is leaving the door open for more questions about a possible tour.

Once again, PLEASE PLEASE please do not respond to this saying that I hate Robert Plant and disrespect his right to do whatever he wants. By all means, he has paid his dues and should be able to do whatever his heart desires. I just think he should be able to accept the consequences of his actions, rather than make the fans feel bad about wondering about a tour.

WOW! Well put!!! thats exactly what I have been trying to say, but not as well!! the only thing I can think of is, trying to keep a whole mystic about it? ya know the Zep mystic? But I agree either say NO! or YES! if you don't want to hear it, stop saying maybe!!

If the Plant/Krauss tour was announced before the 02 show (which I suspect it was), why on earth would Robert agree to do the 02 show at that specific time, months before his Krauss tour kicked off? It's not like this is right after Ahmet died; it had been an entire year. Did he not realize that suspicions of a Zeppelin reunion would completely overshadow whatever project he was trying to do?

I think the O2 show was already being planned by Harvey and when he approached Zeppelin to do a 20 min set. It was only later that they got back to him and said they would do a full show. I don't think they choose that particular date to be honest. It wasn't like the boys said hey let's do a tribute to Ahmet at the O2.

In any event what should he have done after the O2 show? Sit around and wait for things to calm down? He had already planned on doing Promo for the Raising Sand lp and also they had planned on touring. You fit things in when you can.

So far Robert hasn't said no. He's said he'd consider doing something the the boys if it the feeling is right. He isn't interested in a greatest hits tour at all and he's made that quite clear. No real maybe's as far as I've seen. He's being the Plant he's always been but he has said he'd consider it. If I were him I wouldn't give an answer either since that would overshadow everything much more than trying to dodge the questions.

Eddie

found this lately in 2006 article:

Knowing that Robert Plant isn't that into heavy metal is weird. In a 2002 interview with Chuck Klosterman, then helming his first special issue as the metal expert at Spin, Plant quipped: "After you finish this issue about the fucking absurdity of boys trying to be more than what they should be—Conan the Warrior goes on tour, or whatever—come see my new show."

Indeed, it's not that Plant just isn't into metal or, rather, that he detests it entirely. It's that he's permanently disavowed the genre for his new mistress of psychedelic rock, insisting that Led Zeppelin—still his meal ticket as the band that directly inspired almost every wave of metal—was never a metal band at all.

the whole thing is here Unledded, please...

Paraphrasing the words, he "disavowed whatever (or was it "cock rock", according to him in Toronto Sun) rock for his new mistress of bluegrass..."

:hysterical: Jee, this guy is unpermanent.

But seriously, I agree with Eternal Light, he is clearly having fun. All we have to do is to wait and see what will happen next.

DISCLAIMER: I know Zeppelin fans have the tendency to get extremely defensive about the band...as shown by the fact that whenever I post anything about one of Zeppelin's influences, I get a million responses saying "Shut up! They didn't steal music!" So just for the record, I am not bashing Mr. Plant here, I am just trying to figure out why he is doing what he is doing.

I'm not a huge bluegrass fan, and haven't really been following the Plant/Krauss tour, so I'm not exactly sure what the timeline here was. If the Plant/Krauss tour was announced before the 02 show (which I suspect it was), why on earth would Robert agree to do the 02 show at that specific time, months before his Krauss tour kicked off? It's not like this is right after Ahmet died; it had been an entire year. Did he not realize that suspicions of a Zeppelin reunion would completely overshadow whatever project he was trying to do?

He is not a naive man here, he's been in the music business his entire life, and he's been asked questions about reuniting with Page and Jones ever since the band split. Did he not realize these questions would increase 1000-fold after playing the first full-length show since the band split? It just blows my mind that he would be angry about hearing these questions over and over again, knowing full well that he brought it all upon himself. I'm not saying he is not right to get tired of these questions, I'm just questioning his judgment on the timing.

Not only this, but he has completely left the door open. He has not confirmed that he will be participating in a Zeppelin tour, and has not confirmed that he will not be participating. If he had done either of these, the questions would have relented. All he is doing is leaving the door open for more questions about a possible tour.

Once again, PLEASE PLEASE please do not respond to this saying that I hate Robert Plant and disrespect his right to do whatever he wants. By all means, he has paid his dues and should be able to do whatever his heart desires. I just think he should be able to accept the consequences of his actions, rather than make the fans feel bad about wondering about a tour.

I don't know when the 02 date was set but it was pretty clear from before Raising Sand was released that they intended to take the show on the road starting in 2008.

What is Robert trying to do? Live his life his way, on his own terms. He's doing the music he wants, when he wants and with whom he wants. Notice the word "you" is nowhere in sight.

I am getting sick to death of some fans and the almost rabid desire to have their music idols doing their bidding.

What is Robert trying to do? Live his life his way, on his own terms. He's doing the music he wants, when he wants and with whom he wants. Notice the word "you" is nowhere in sight.

I am getting sick to death of some fans and the almost rabid desire to have their music idols doing their bidding.

yes ... great reply ,finally someone who is in touch with real life ...

Robert has already done the greatest hits tour with Jimmy in the 90's , now he wants to move on to new material (whoever it is with) let the guy express his art ..... .

“It’s almost like automatic pilot to think that there is a tour that goes with an album,” says Plant. “I mean, there are so many situations that I wouldn’t want to tour in now, because I may have visited certain areas of music too often to actually be excited.”

Yes, Led Heads, he’s talking to you. Though he’s willing to throw his more metallic fans a Zoso bone (or three): The Plant/Krauss set list often includes reworked versions of “Black Dog,” “When the Levee Breaks” and “The Battle of Evermore.” “There are certain songs which will lend themselves to an absolute, stripped-down situation,” Plant says. “And the thing about my singing is, I’m really, really working on moving from style to style within the show, you know. I mean, I think it’s such a great challenge. That’s where I’m really getting off, because I’m doing so many things differently. And still being whatever I was."

“The tour,” he says, “just became something to get excited about once we had a personality. But you know, touring for the sake of touring, for me, after all these years, is just pointless. I have to be excited.”

Yep, still looking at you, Zep fans. And just in case you need more: "You can’t just borrow the Stones’ plane,” Plant says. “It’s got to have a creative kernel of endeavor and whatever it is, otherwise it won’t work, because Zep was about that."

“I mean, if you want the quick tug,” he continues, “if you want the $5 massage or the happy ending, you know exactly how to get that. That’s a pointless exercise. For me, I just want to do stuff where at the end of the night, I can turn and look at the people I’m working with and go, ‘That was not just an achievement—it was one of the most heartrending experiences I’ve had.’ And that’s what happened to me night before last.”

The “night before last,” Plant and Krauss (and T-Bone and company) played their second show in Louisville, which seems to have provided Plant with everything he could ask from musical roadwork.

“It was almost as if we were, you know, on laughing gas,” he says, “because it all worked and it swung like crazy and the stage volume was very, very excellent for what we were trying to do. I mean, you can hear absolutely everything. You can even hear the skin of the banjo, you know. I mean, it’s like—it’s unearthly at times. Something happened that was much more intense and much more rewarding than any of us had expected. We found that we were going into a place that none of us had been before.

“Obviously,” Plant concludes, “this is just the beginning.”

Rob Trucks

Nashvillescene.com

http://www.nashvillescene.com/Stories/Ar....h_Robert_Plant/

Well clearly you did not read my post, then, because it was all about him, and none about me. I specifically worded it how I did, because I did not want to look like some idiot fan who has not a care in the world about what other people actually want to do. Notice I specifically asked you not to respond in this way, because that is not what I'm saying at all.

Robert agreed to do the 02 gig, then went off on his Plant/Krauss tour. He left the world wondering whether or not Led Zeppelin will tour again. He clearly knew when he went on this tour that a possible Zeppelin tour would overshadow anything else he was doing, and yet he still gets upset when the press ask questions about it. All I'm saying is, you can't have it both ways here. If you are going to do a whole new project in the shadow of a possible Zeppelin tour, either give a concrete answer: yes there will be a tour, or no there will not be a tour; or don't be surprised when the questions keep coming.

I'm not saying he should not do what he wants, just that he should not be getting upset at the questions of a tour being thrown his way. I'm just so sick of these fans who will defend the band to the death on a point that is not being argued.

Why should you assume that doing more "Led Zeppelin" is at the top of Plant's list?

I think the O2 was a wonderful thing as a one off show, but I wouldn't want to see them just tour doing old Zep songs over and over again unless it could be complimented with some new and fresh matierial. Bands that end up going down that path usually end up at local fairs and grand openings for shopping malls.

If Zep went that way I would lose all respect for them.

We are just going to have to wait and see if there is going to be anything else in store. And if there isn't -- then at least they can say that the O2 proved that they could have gone out on top. What's wrong with that?

Robert's voice sounds best when he enjoys the music. I'm not convinced Robert enjoys playing with Page anymore. I'm a big fan of the P/P 98 tour, but I'm pretty sure he stopped enjoying it before the tour ended. I don't see any evidence of this attitude having changed. When I compare S/S and P/K alongside O2, I hear him singing better in the non-Zep format. He likes it more. Only Jimmy can fix this, by getting over his writer's block, practicing, and generally holding himself to a standard that is above going through the motions. Robert was looking to Jimmy to take control and show some leadership at the O2. I don't think Jimmy's performance came in above that threshold. I think if they did play, it would be most satisfying creatively to only play songs they have never played before. They don't have to play Stairway to please this Led-head.

Don't ever expect a "yes" or "no" or even a "maybe" at least until he is finished with AK> Saying YES Led Zeppelin is going to start touring on X day of X year would completely remove all interest from his raising sand project and he would hear NOTHING but LZ questions.

Robert agreed to do the 02 gig, then went off on his Plant/Krauss tour. He left the world wondering whether or not Led Zeppelin will tour again. He clearly knew when he went on this tour that a possible Zeppelin tour would overshadow anything else he was doing, and yet he still gets upset when the press ask questions about it. All I'm saying is, you can't have it both ways here. If you are going to do a whole new project in the shadow of a possible Zeppelin tour, either give a concrete answer: yes there will be a tour, or no there will not be a tour; or don't be surprised when the questions keep coming.

The Krauss/Plant tour didn't start until this year and the project was already well established by the time the O2 gig was anounced. It was much more a question of the O2 interrupting their plans.

And by the way, how many times does Robert have to say there'll be no tour before you start to believe him? He's said all along that the O2 was a one-off. Since the gig he's kept this stance, only alluding to the fact that perhaps the odd 'one-off' might happen again should the right circumstances allow, but there'll be no tour.

I think you guys are wasting your time speculating on all this. Some of you will remember Led Zeppelin in the 70's. They never gave away what they were up to that was part of there appeal. It is what made them mysterious it is what made them Led Zeppelin. It is one of the things that set them apart from all the other bands of that time. If there is another show or tour none of us will know about it until it happens. Even before the Ahmett Tribute Concert they denied over and over that they were doing anything. It just seems that so many of you so called Led Zeppelin fans have completely abandoned Robert Plant just because he has not done what you want him to do, in the time you want it done seems kind of selfish to me. I have read so many posts on this site bashing different members of the band just because they have not annouced a tour or not done something that you want done(release the Ahmett DVD). They said before the Ahmett gig that they wanted that performance to stand on it's own and it does. Robert Plant has never said they won't do it again. There are many Led zeppelin anniversaries coming up and plenty of good reasons for them to do it again. Why don't you all stop being so selfish! You are the same people who if they do another reunion or tour you will be the same people saying what life long fans you are and have backed the band from day one. They are coming up on the 40th anniversary of Led Zeppelin One and The Plant /Krause tour is almost over. So whay don't you wait and see what happens instead of throwing Robert Plant under the bus every chance you get. Even if they did tour not everyone would get the chance to see them. They would have to play 20 nights in each city for everyone who wanted to see them to get the chance. So if they did tour and you could not get tickets in your city would you still find something to complain about? I know most on this site won't get it as most are not old enough to remember what Led Zeppelin was about. They will never be Led Zeppelin without Robert Plant period! If they tour not everyone will get the chance to see them perform so find something else to bitch about! I did not know this was a Robert Plant bashing site. If you don't like Robert Plant your not a Led Zeppelin fan in my book! Back in the day you would have gotten your ass kicked for saying some of the things said on this site about Zeppelin. Too bad those times are gone forever.

I think you guys are wasting your time speculating on all this. Some of you will remember Led Zeppelin in the 70's. They never gave away what they were up to that was part of there appeal. It is what made them mysterious it is what made them Led Zeppelin. It is one of the things that set them apart from all the other bands of that time. If there is another show or tour none of us will know about it until it happens. Even before the Ahmett Tribute Concert they denied over and over that they were doing anything. It just seems that so many of you so called Led Zeppelin fans have completely abandoned Robert Plant just because he has not done what you want him to do, in the time you want it done seems kind of selfish to me. I have read so many posts on this site bashing different members of the band just because they have not annouced a tour or not done something that you want done(release the Ahmett DVD). They said before the Ahmett gig that they wanted that performance to stand on it's own and it does. Robert Plant has never said they won't do it again. There are many Led zeppelin anniversaries coming up and plenty of good reasons for them to do it again. Why don't you all stop being so selfish! You are the same people who if they do another reunion or tour you will be the same people saying what life long fans you are and have backed the band from day one. They are coming up on the 40th anniversary of Led Zeppelin One and The Plant /Krause tour is almost over. So whay don't you wait and see what happens instead of throwing Robert Plant under the bus every chance you get. Even if they did tour not everyone would get the chance to see them. They would have to play 20 nights in each city for everyone who wanted to see them to get the chance. So if they did tour and you could not get tickets in your city would you still find something to complain about? I know most on this site won't get it as most are not old enough to remember what Led Zeppelin was about. They will never be Led Zeppelin without Robert Plant period! If they tour not everyone will get the chance to see them perform so find something else to bitch about! I did not know this was a Robert Plant bashing site. If you don't like Robert Plant your not a Led Zeppelin fan in my book! Back in the day you would have gotten your ass kicked for saying some of the things said on this site about Zeppelin. Too bad those times are gone forever.

amen

I dont think Robert gets angry at the Questions being asked,at least in anything I've seen or read.

And he probably would not have agreed to this show at all if it were not for the cause the whole concert was for.

As for the timing,I think it is impossible for us to try and figure out all the variables involved with putting a show like this together.

And as for him giving a definite answer on the "Will the band ever get back together?,

He has seemed to lead us to believe it is possible but not definite.

Robert's voice sounds best when he enjoys the music. I'm not convinced Robert enjoys playing with Page anymore. I'm a big fan of the P/P 98 tour, but I'm pretty sure he stopped enjoying it before the tour ended. I don't see any evidence of this attitude having changed. When I compare S/S and P/K alongside O2, I hear him singing better in the non-Zep format. He likes it more. Only Jimmy can fix this, by getting over his writer's block, practicing, and generally holding himself to a standard that is above going through the motions. Robert was looking to Jimmy to take control and show some leadership at the O2. I don't think Jimmy's performance came in above that threshold. I think if they did play, it would be most satisfying creatively to only play songs they have never played before. They don't have to play Stairway to please this Led-head.

I strongly disagree! Robert has never sang better than he did with Zeppelin. He sure seemed to be enjoying himself in London last December. I just saw him with Alison Krause and it was great but nothing close to Zeppelin. The Ahmett tribute show was one of there finest performances ever! Jimmy Played great and exceeded anyones expectations. I say this because I was there and witnessed it first hand. The bootlegs of the show are great for bootlegs but it still does not do them justice from that night period! I would put that performance up there with anything that they did back in the day. I saw both Page /Plant tours and they were great but not as good as Zeppelin I think your way off base with your comments

I strongly disagree! Robert has never sang better than he did with Zeppelin. He sure seemed to be enjoying himself in London last December. I just saw him with Alison Krause and it was great but nothing close to Zeppelin. The Ahmett tribute show was one of there finest performances ever! Jimmy Played great and exceeded anyones expectations. I say this because I was there and witnessed it first hand. The bootlegs of the show are great for bootlegs but it still does not do them justice from that night period! I would put that performance up there with anything that they did back in the day. I saw both Page /Plant tours and they were great but not as good as Zeppelin I think your way off base with your comments

How he's singing with Alison is a very different style than singing with Zep. I don't know if I'd say better or worse but different.

Why should you assume that doing more "Led Zeppelin" is at the top of Plant's list?

I think the O2 was a wonderful thing as a one off show, but I wouldn't want to see them just tour doing old Zep songs over and over again unless it could be complimented with some new and fresh material. Bands that end up going down that path usually end up at local fairs and grand openings for shopping malls.

If Zep went that way I would lose all respect for them.

We are just going to have to wait and see if there is going to be anything else in store. And if there isn't -- then at least they can say that the O2 proved that they could have gone out on top. What's wrong with that?

I agree wholeheartedly. As much as I'd love to see Zeppelin, I wouldn't want it to just be a recap of their previous career. Get an album done first with all new, fresh material and then go out on tour. If that happens, great! If not, then I'd say that the O2 was a splendid way for the band to re-appear for a good tribute show and indeed, go out on top like they always should have done.

What a silly question! Why, he's trying to crush the dreams of obsessed fans, of course! What else could he be doing????

:chickeddance:

(that was sarcasm. I hate that I have to explain that, but I have found it's better that way)

Archived