BEST LIVE VERSION OF OVER THE HILLS AND FAR AWAY?

ZeppFanForever

My current favorite is the last night at Earl's Court. Checkout the interplay between Jimmy and Bonzo starting around the four minute mark. Jimmy does a series of descending notes and Bonzo echos him on the drums. Killer stuff.

Yea that's a good one.

Little side note here, am I the only one who finds it really annoying that you can barely hear Bonham's toms on that recording?

• 6 months later...

For me: L.A. 6/27/1977. Unbelievable Guitar-Solo from Jimmy. It's the best what I ever heard.

Listening to that show today, it's definitely one of my favourite versions of "Over The Hills". I like Jimmy's solo on it a lot as well, and love the prologue he adds before the intro proper. I especially liked Jones' bass lines from about 5:25 to 6:00--almost disco, sounded a lot like "Miss You" live. May be the first time I loved the sound of his Alembic lol.

Another vote here for 6.23.77

Jimmy unleashes the Dragon during the solo it is just super human.

Underrated version I never hear mentioned:

7.24.79 2nd night in Copenhagen, check it out.

1977/06/23 will always be my favorite performance of this song from Robert. That last "You really oughta know" makes me swoon every time.

Another vote here for 6.23.77

Jimmy unleashes the Dragon during the solo it is just super human.

Underrated version I never hear mentioned:

7.24.79 2nd night in Copenhagen, check it out.

No question both these are fantastic...and 7.24.79 is definitely often overlooked. But I still say the solo on 6.22.77 rules all!

• 2 weeks later...

I think many of you should listen to "Over The Hills And Far Away" from Dallas, Tx. 3/4/75, from the "Chasing The Dragon" bootleg. What Jones, Bonham, and Page do in this version is nothing less than breathtaking!

• 2 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

All of the USA 1972 version.  Seattle, LA, Long Beach.   Other later version are good from various shows but nothing beats the Summer 1972 shows with the band and Plant firing on all cylinders   They seem to have the X factor to them too.  Maybe because the song was new and fresh plus it was the summer tour and the band seemed to be in good spirits at the top of their game. 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

The best version of Over the Hills and Far Away? Easy. The best version(s) from 1977. Fact. 6/21, 6/23, 6/25. 6/27 are good starters, all with excellent quality front-row recordings. Then find the ones from the NYC '77 run. One of them, Robert even has the balls to try to hit the high note. Even though he misses, you can tell he trusts his voice by this point in '77, and things only improve from there. OTHAFA 1977 versions are the heaviest, they are the heaviest, and Robert wails the lyrics full force before Jimmy goes apeshit on that solo. B) Don't let the Seattle version fool you. That show is bad by '77 standards. But as they say, an off night for Zeppelin was better than most other bands' best nights.

Edit: Seattle '77 isn't bad, per se, just nothing like the average or good shows from '77. 5/22/77 and 5/30/77 are good examples. I'm personally hoping the DVD comes out one day with the audience recording as the audio, because I think it would better represent what it was like being there, and would cover a few mistakes, as well offer a more natural sound than the flimsy soundboard/video soundtrack (probably the latter).

On 1/12/2017 at 3:05 AM, Strider said:

June 22, 1977.

Strider, I must give you credit for getting me to listen to this version. Your praise for it in Nutrocker's LA 77 comp thread convinced me to check it out...and HOLY HELL is Page ON FIRE here! Even the less than stellar sound quality doesn't detract from this incredible solo! I'd go as far to say this one of my favorite Page solos ever. I actually think 6/22 might show Page in the best shape of the LA run, if not all of 77. He even starts the Stairway solo immediately, rather than waiting another few moments. (By the way, does anyone know of other instances where Page does this?) It's a shame Mike Millard wasn't there that night.

To anyone reading this who hasn't heard this version, definitely check it out!

Archived