BEST LIVE VERSION OF OVER THE HILLS AND FAR AWAY?

ZeppFanForever

30 minutes ago, The Rover said:

So, taking in audio quality, what is the best OTHAFA (with the best audio quality)??

Good question. Here's a few top versions with good sound quality:

6/25/72

3/16/73

3/24/73

5/13/73

2/12/75

3/21/75

5/25/75

6/13/77

6/21/77

6/23/77

7/24/79

Listen to them and pick your favorite. I will say that 6/23/77 and 6/13/77 are my favorites out of this list. Page's guitar solo on both versions is out of this world.

3 hours ago, ZepHead315 said:

Good question. Here's a few top versions with good sound quality:

6/25/72

3/16/73

3/24/73

5/13/73

2/12/75

3/21/75

5/25/75

6/13/77

6/21/77

6/23/77

7/24/79

Listen to them and pick your favorite. I will say that 6/23/77 and 6/13/77 are my favorites out of this list. Page's guitar solo on both versions is out of this world.

I love 6/13/77 too, but its sound quality is worse than that of 6/22/77...

I believe we have a consensus. 6/22, with a tad of the best from '77/ Doesn't that 6/22 recording sound like a muffled Millard recording though. Its clearly pretty close to the stage. And has similar audience cheers and noises as 21st, 23rd, 25th, 27th.

16 hours ago, Bonzo_fan said:

I love 6/13/77 too, but its sound quality is worse than that of 6/22/77...

Yeah, I realized that after I replied. The funny thing is I remember the performance more than I do the recording quality. I'll cross it out since it's not up to par with the others.

1 hour ago, ZepHead315 said:

Yeah, I realized that after I replied. The funny thing is I remember the performance more than I do the recording quality. I'll cross it out since it's not up to par with the others.

But the atmosphere is GREAT.

16 hours ago, Dirty Work said:

I believe we have a consensus. 6/22, with a tad of the best from '77/ Doesn't that 6/22 recording sound like a muffled Millard recording though. Its clearly pretty close to the stage. And has similar audience cheers and noises as 21st, 23rd, 25th, 27th.

It sounds nothing like a Millard tape. But it is also not as bad as some people describe the sound quality. Given the way the fuzz reverb resonates on Jimmy's guitar during his solo, it sounds like the taper was further away from the stage...possibly in the Loge or Colonnade section, where his tape recorder would better capture the sound reverberating off the walls.

On 4/24/2017 at 2:47 PM, Strider said:

...possibly in the Loge or Colonnade section, where his tape recorder would better capture the sound reverberating off the walls.

...and you know it is. 

OTHAFA live- don't think I ever heard a version I liked, some better than others it just never really seemed glued together. For me it is right alongside WTLB live. What is it that they are trying to do there?  Pass.

To be technical the best Over the Hills has to be 6/27/72 or 6/28/72, unless they played it in San Diego. 27th has the better guitar, and is on HTWWW, but original vocals weren't spot on. 28th has the better vocals and more creative guitar solo, IMO.

Bonzo rips on the early '73 versions though, so does Page most of the time. But Plant... uh maybe a few times got it right.

Some of the best versions are during the Japan '72 run though, especially with Jimmy.

1 hour ago, Dirty Work said:

To be technical the best Over the Hills has to be 6/27/72 or 6/28/72, unless they played it in San Diego. 27th has the better guitar, and is on HTWWW, but original vocals weren't spot on. 28th has the better vocals and more creative guitar solo, IMO.

Bonzo rips on the early '73 versions though, so does Page most of the time. But Plant... uh maybe a few times got it right.

Some of the best versions are during the Japan '72 run though, especially with Jimmy.

I agree absolutely. Especially versions like Kyoto where you have Plant nailing it to go along with a spectacular solo by Page. 

Archived