Thank You, Ahmet! :)

After reading through 20+ pages related to the O2 Concert, I felt "Led" to pay respects to the man who brought us Led Zeppelin and so so many others, Ahmet Ertegun.

Next week, he would have turned 85.

Thank you, Ahmet!!! May you rest peacefully. :)

R B)

http://www.myspace.com/ahmeterteguntribute

http://www.history-of-rock.com/atlantic_records.htm

http://www.slate.com/id/2114074/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ahmet_Ertegün

http://www.ahmettribute.com/

Edited by reids

Absolutely and god bless.

Ultimately, i would think -led zeppelin would have recorded and made out fairly well, but with less money and the album covers woudnt have been the same. Or maybe the money thing was all -peter grant, i dont know.

... and I'm thankful that the 3 surviving members as well as Jason agreed to perform upon his/his wife's wishes. I'm also thankful that other Atlantic label artists were able to perform (Foreigner, etc..) at his Tribute. I do hope the DVD will have a very fitting tribute section to Ahmet.

Additionally, I do recommend the "Atlantic: House That Ahmet Built" DVD to any/all.

It really gives insight to him as a person with his friends and other musicians of all ages, genres, attitudes, styles, etc..

http://www.amazon.com/Atlantic-Records-Hou...t/dp/B000PSJDQ4

R B)

Edited by reids

I don't know anything about how much actual footage there is of Ahmet available, but in the movie "Ray" (Ray Charles), Ahmet is depicted prominently by a great actor and I'd assume he fairly accurately depicts him. Jamie Fox did so well as Ray, and Charles was "overseeing" the production so I'm sure Ahmet's part was equally acted competently.

I recommend checking out this movie for a bit of Ahmet's early business techniques. He was generous, humorous and so music savvy. He was at ground zero in the development of Rock and Roll and Ray Charles was one of the pioneers as well, often overlooked in this regard.

I don't know anything about how much actual footage there is of Ahmet available, but in the movie "Ray" (Ray Charles), Ahmet is depicted prominently by a great actor and I'd assume he fairly accurately depicts him. Jamie Fox did so well as Ray, and Charles was "overseeing" the production so I'm sure Ahmet's part was equally acted competently.

I recommend checking out this movie for a bit of Ahmet's early business techniques. He was generous, humorous and so music savvy. He was at ground zero in the development of Rock and Roll and Ray Charles was one of the pioneers as well, often overlooked in this regard.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0035664/

Curtis Armstrong portrayed Ahmet in the 2004 Feature film, Ray (starring Jamie Foxx).

He's a character actor. In the 80s he played in Revenge of the Nerds, was on Moonlighting (TV series) and in recent years moved in to more serious roles (Ray) while continuing to do tv and film roles.

Music Trivia: He went to the same college as musician, Marshall Crenshaw (who portrayed Buddy Holly in the 1986 movie, La Bamba (about Richie Valens).

R B)

Yes. I've got the DVD at home. It's been a while since I've seen it. Let me watch it again tonight and I can give you a better response. ok? I focused on Jamie Foxx the time I saw it that it wasn't until afterwards that I really didn't think about Ahmet being portrayed in the film.

R B)

Yes. I've got the DVD at home. It's been a while since I've seen it. Let me watch it again tonight and I can give you a better response. ok? I focused on Jamie Foxx the time I saw it that it wasn't until afterwards that I really didn't think about Ahmet being portrayed in the film.

R B)

The acting is this movie was so convincing. I think you'll find focusing on Ahmet's part this way. :)

"You think pennies, you'll get pennies; You think dollars, you'll get dollars!"

There's a very well done documentary from PBS - American Experience I think it's called. Sorry, name escapes me at the moment. Anyways, if you can catch it on tv or if they sell dvds of them, I'd highly recommend it. He was an amazing man - larger than life with such vision. What endless gifts he gave us too.

I honestly thought that people had forgotten that the concert was for Ahmet in the first place. Hell, some people I asked didn't even know who he was! It's nice to see a thread paying tribute to him for once. RIP Mr. Ertegun.

Well, nobody outside the industry knew who he was,that was the nature of things when Ahmet was doing his best work.

It is something I am loath to contemplate,but I don't think O2 would not have happenend if Ahmet had not passed away, for his widow asked that Robert,Jimmy and John Paul contribute to this benefit.

And they did so with little hesatation!.

Such was the gentile power and grace of the man, that I would not be supprised if his spirit lingered at the venue that night, and Roberts comments were actually heard and appreciated by him!.

He was, by so many accounts a lovely, intellegent and perceptive man.His loss is made harder to bear by the fact that he was a "one-of-a-kind".

Yes. His loss was also such a big loss to the record industry and anyone who knew him, knew of his work and his passion for music. He gave artists the opportunity to develop and took chances that most wouldn't or will not.

Nowadays, if an artist that's signed to a major label, doesn't instantly sell millions in the first or possibly second record, they are dropped (and left holding the bill to pay back the loan). If that mentality took place in the 70s, 80s or even in the early 90s, artists/bands like U2, Def Leppard, John Mellencamp, Bryan Adams, Tom Petty, KISS, Journey, Metallica, RUSH, etc... would have never have been around to make or release albums like, The Joshua Tree ("With or Without You", "Where The Streets Have No Name", etc..), Hysteria ("Pour Some Sugar On Me", "Love Bites", "Women", "Animal", "Rock It", "Hysteria") , American Fool ("Jack & Dianne", "Hurts So Good"), Reckless ("Heaven", Summer of '69", "Run To You"), Full Moon Fever ("I Won't Back Down", "Free Fallin"), Destroyer ("Beth, "Detroit Rock City", "Shout It Out Loud"), Escape ("Don't Stop Believing", "Open Arms"), The Black Album ("Enter Sandman", "One", Wherever I May Roam"), Moving Pictures ("Tom Sawyer, "Red Barchetta", "Limelight"), etc... which sold/sell multi-millions (as most of these albums were the artists/band's 4th or later albums).

There will never be another Ahmet.

R B)

Edited by reids

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Yes he left them to create music and new it would be good..thanks Ahmet, also I think Peter Grant should also be hailed as an inovator in rock management. So much so i believe that they have an annual PG award at the music mangement awards !