L.A. 1977 vs Earls Court 1975

snapper

The Earl's Court show IS the first of the '77 shows! But different audiences in different countries in different years have different "vibes". Yeah, I'm from California and For Badgeholders Only was my first bootleg so I'm totally biased!

the overall setlist is a tad similar in structure

There's a few similarities - acoustic set, placement of Sick Again, Over The Hills and Far Away, etc. There is no Dazed And Confused. WWL is cut very short, unlike the 75' tour. Etc., etc., etc.

Though I like the Earl's court setlist better, I think I have to go with LA (6/23 in particular). If they included That's The Way and Rain Song it would win hands down, but sorta in their place was Ten Years Gone and Battle Of Evermore which were freaking great at the forum. I'm just glad I can listen to all the concerts from each place!!

Although I'm initially partial to LA 77 for obvious reasons, this is really a tough choice. Each show has amazing highlights to recommend it...each unique to that particular place and time. Even the so-called flaws that people point out were idiosyncratic in a way...part and parcel to each respective period.

This requires Solomon-like judgement.

• 2 years later...

I definitely prefer LA 77 over Earl's Court. Earl's Court (and 75 overall) to me always seemed to be overrated. Robert's voice is rough (albeit MUCH improved over the first few shows of the American tour earlier in the year), and Jimmy's guitar tone is very thin. It doesn't sound powerful enough, imo. I will say that I love the setlist (glad they added back the acoustic set) and the plantations. Earl's Court also has a really good vibe. The band seem to be in good spirits and it's the last series of concerts before all the bad stuff started happening.

On the other hand, LA 77 has Robert's voice in better shape, and the band overall seems more focused (especially the first three nights). Plus Bonzo plays like it was his last ever concert on 6/21. To me the highlights of LA 77 (TSRTS 6/21, NQ 6/23, ALS 6/23, the acoustic set on 6/27) are more numerous and greater than the highlights of the Earl's Court shows. That being said, I would happily attend either series of concerts if I had a time machine! :D

Archived