JIMMY PAGE PUBLIC PERFORMANCES (Pre-Zeppelin)

I AM VERY INTERESTED IN ANY CONCERT REVIEWS, ADVERTS, PHOTOS, CORRECTIONS, ADDITIONS, OR RECOLLECTIONS CONCERNING JIMMY'S PRE-ZEPPELIN PERFORMANCES. PLEASE CONTACT ME VIA PM OR POST YOUR INPUTS TO THIS THREAD.

Regards,

Steve A. Jones

JAMES PATRICK PAGE PUBLIC PERFORMANCE CHRONOLOGY

1959-1960

Jimmy gigged with Red E. Lewis & The Redcats for about a year before vocalist Lewis was replaced by Chirs Tidmarsh, who changed his name to Neil Christian…Jimmy's stage name was Nelson Storm. Shortly after the lineup change, Christian took the band into the studio for a two-hour session and recorded four demos towards securing a recording contract.

Confirmed concert cities or venues from this era:

1959 or 1960 Sheffield, England (as guitarist with Neil Christian & The Crusaders)

Has Steve or anyone else found out more information about Jimmy Page's tenure with Neil Christian & The Crusaders? I've read that Page had to leave The Crusaders because he contracted glandular fever but, I have been unable to find out how many months he played with them before he got sick. Also, is it true that Ritchie Blackmore replaced Page as The Crusaders' lead guitarist?

Has Steve or anyone else found out more information about Jimmy Page's tenure with Neil Christian & The Crusaders? I've read that Page had to leave The Crusaders because he contracted glandular fever but, I have been unable to find out how many months he played with them before he got sick. Also, is it true that Ritchie Blackmore replaced Page as The Crusaders' lead guitarist?

These waters are still murky; there are few concrete details. Most sources claim he performed with them from 1960 to 1961. Jimmy has said contracting glandular fever did lead to him leaving the group, after which he said he enrolled in Sutton Art School and studied there for about 18 months. I'm fairly certain I've posted some articles here in the past, and swandown and I have had quite a few discussions here also.

Ritchie Blackmore did not replace Page as their lead guitarist, but he did serve in the studio as a backing musician for them and ultimately joined the band for a brief period.

http://www.invaluable.com/auction-lot/jimmy-page-neil-christian-and-the-crusaders-48-c-0dmlwckibq

http://forgottenbands.blogspot.jp/2009/10/neil-christian-crusaders.html

These waters are still murky; there are few concrete details. Most sources claim he performed with them from 1960 to 1961. Jimmy has said contracting glandular fever did lead to him leaving the group, after which he said he enrolled in Sutton Art School and studied there for about 18 months. I'm fairly certain I've posted some articles here in the past, and swandown and I have had quite a few discussions here also.

Ritchie Blackmore did not replace Page as their lead guitarist, but he did serve in the studio as a backing musician for them and ultimately joined the band for a brief period.

http://www.invaluable.com/auction-lot/jimmy-page-neil-christian-and-the-crusaders-48-c-0dmlwckibq

http://forgottenbands.blogspot.jp/2009/10/neil-christian-crusaders.html

Thank you Steve. I'm surprised some intrepid reporter hasn't asked Page more details about his Crusaders gig and songwriting partnership with Jackie DeShannon.

• 2 months later...
  • 11 months later...

Very interested in also trying to pin down when the 8 mirrored reflector stickers were affixed to the Jeff Beck gifted telecaster.   
[ on a side note, did Jeff barrow this guitar from John Owen, trade it for something or purchase it?]

Dec 4 - Lima, Ohio - last known photo of the Telecaster WITHOUT the reflectors

[5 Days to Travel back to UK from US and unpack.]

Dec 10 - Bristol, UK - Bristol University

Dec 13 - Aberystwyth Wales, Aberystwyth University UK

Dec 15 - Hull, UK - Hull University
[Dec 16 – Dec 21]   6 Day Break in UK - maybe it was during this break that he put the reflectors on.

Dec 22, 1966 Little Games STUDIO SESSION: "You Stole My Love" (15 versions of backing track recorded), "L.S.D."

Dec 23 Wembly Studios London, UK.- Ready Steady Go! Season 4 Episode 17 --Keith Relf and Paul Sammwell Smith Presented.
[No indication yet that Jimmy Page was required to be present for the Ready Steady Go! Final episode!]

Dec 24 [From SteveAJones previous comments] According to Jimmy, they departed London for New York on December 24, 1966, arriving in New York on Christmas Day.

Dec 25 Arrival in New York

Dec 26 - Rochester NY War Memorial

Dec 27 - Ann Arbor, Fifth Dimension, MI 

Dec 28 - Peoria, IL First Known Photo of Telecaster with 7 Reflectors. (later 8)
Mike Fosters comments on what he witnessed on the back of the Guitar is also interesting.   Maybe it was to cover up the "Jeffman" Stencil.

• 6 months later...

Steve

Would you mind sharing the fact that your extensive information on Yardbirds gigs is 100% ENTIRELY lifted from research I did and published in Jeff's Book (with Chris Hjort) and Alan Clayson's (with Joe McMichael) books on Jeff Beck and The Yardbirds, respectively, and later "borrowed" by Greg Russo in his book. I did this work, it did not just fall out of the sky. 

Thank you,

Doug Hinman

15 hours ago, DougH said:

Steve

Would you mind sharing the fact that your extensive information on Yardbirds gigs is 100% ENTIRELY lifted from research I did and published in Jeff's Book (with Chris Hjort) and Alan Clayson's (with Joe McMichael) books on Jeff Beck and The Yardbirds, respectively, and later "borrowed" by Greg Russo in his book. I did this work, it did not just fall out of the sky. 

Thank you,

Doug Hinman

If you say so. :rolleyes:

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, DougH said:

Give me a break. Tell me one thing you added to what I published in those two books. I have all the correspondence from back in the 1990s uncovering all this. 

The person who is allegedly Doug Hinman recklessly and very publicly jumped the shark when they insisted all my extensive information on Yardbirds gigs is 100% ENTIRELY lifted from Hinman's research. Personally, I have no problem giving credit where and when it's due, and had that person not floated in here like a turd in a punch bowl to needlessly raise a stink I would have gladly recommended those books to anyone interested in this topic. However, and seriously, get over yourself. For one thing, there are SEVERAL confirmed performance dates not included in either of book. For another, there are no prizes to be won regardless. 

• 1 month later...

Sure I remember the 1967 Concert with the Yardbirds - in Sacramento, CA at Governor's Hall.

I had the great fortune to attend this show, which included several local bands.  The most incredible memory is of Jimmy Page and his tremendous guitar work as you can imagine!
Although I enjoyed their records for years, the vinyl could not compare with seeing-hearing them perform live. in a large hall with natural acoustics of Governor's Hall.  Mix in the psychedelic light show (Edison Light Company) owned by famed artist Jim Carrico:    http://www.sacrockmuseum.org/jim-carrico-artist.html 
simply was one of the best all around performances I have ever attended.
Thank you Jimmy Page for the great memories!

7 minutes ago, Dansafe said:

Sure I remember the 1967 Concert with the Yardbirds - in Sacramento, CA at Governor's Hall.

I had the great fortune to attend this show, which included several local bands.  The most incredible memory is of Jimmy Page and his tremendous guitar work as you can imagine!
Although I enjoyed their records for years, the vinyl could not compare with seeing-hearing them perform live. in a large hall with natural acoustics of Governor's Hall.  Mix in the psychedelic light show (Edison Light Company) owned by famed artist Jim Carrico:    http://www.sacrockmuseum.org/jim-carrico-artist.html 
simply was one of the best all around performances I have ever attended.
Thank you Jimmy Page for the great memories!

Thanks for posting, which prompted me to find this article that discusses the Governor's Hall.

http://www.valcomnews.com/?p=4108

On 4/9/2017 at 0:07 AM, SteveAJones said:

The person who is allegedly Doug Hinman recklessly and very publicly jumped the shark when they insisted all my extensive information on Yardbirds gigs is 100% ENTIRELY lifted from Hinman's research. Personally, I have no problem giving credit where and when it's due, and had that person not floated in here like a turd in a punch bowl to needlessly raise a stink I would have gladly recommended those books to anyone interested in this topic. However, and seriously, get over yourself. For one thing, there are SEVERAL confirmed performance dates not included in either of book. For another, there are no prizes to be won regardless. 

Its all public information.  You dont have special rights or have any special abilities.  WHatever

• 1 month later...
On 4/8/2017 at 11:05 PM, DougH said:

Give me a break. Tell me one thing you added to what I published in those two books. I have all the correspondence from back in the 1990s uncovering all this. 

Doug - I've been trying to verify the alleged July 7, 1968 Luton College, Bedfordshire, gig. I will see what I can find in Clayson's Yardbirds book, but was wondering if you knew the original source/circumstances that led to 7/7/68 being on the performances lists in the first place. ??  Also, if there was an appearance by Yardbirds, is it possible that this was more related to the Together Now sessions Relf and McCarty were recording that week with Paul Samwell-Smith? (the day before, actually).  

Thanks in advance for helping to clear this up!! 

Archived