If Zeppelin tour without Robert...

People will of course never agree about these things on here. After all, these forums only reflect the different opinions of fans. There are people here who don't so much dispute Robert's artistic freedom - but simply don't like his solo career as much as the work they feel he would be able to do with Jimmy, Jonesy and (presumably) Jason. That's merely a feeling and an opinion, and it isn't right or wrong. As for myself, I haven't always particularly liked the solo efforts by the band members, nor is there any reason why a Zeppelin fan necessarily would like them. I believe this will always be a factor in these discussions here.

But there is of course another side to it, namely blaming Robert for making a reunion this and reunion that impossible, and that has never made any sense to me. Led Zeppelin sounded like it did because all the members believed in what they were doing - it had real conviction because they meant it and enjoyed it. If only one of them no longer feels he belongs there, that only means it doesn't work any more. You can't blame Robert for doing what he wants to do. Is his solo stuff more exciting than what he could be doing with the others? I honestly don't know. You choose a path, it means you're not exploring all the others - and yet you have to choose a path in order to get anywhere. He knows he doesn't want to do a Zeppelin project - so be it.

I remain hopeful that Jimmy will work on the ideas he hoped to convince Robert and Jonesy to work on with him. We should remember, however, that Jimmy too does not owe us anything at all, and will have to do what he feels motivated to do himself. He will not be working with all the people we could think of that would "sound great with Jimmy", because that's just our ideas, not his ideas, and not his motives. But I do hope that Jimmy makes music again, and with people who are likely to bring out the adventurousness needed for the project to bear fruit. That's what the Crooked Vultures are about.

People will of course never agree about these things on here. After all, these forums only reflect the different opinions of fans. There are people here who don't so much dispute Robert's artistic freedom - but simply don't like his solo career as much as the work they feel he would be able to do with Jimmy, Jonesy and (presumably) Jason. That's merely a feeling and an opinion, and it isn't right or wrong. As for myself, I haven't always particularly liked the solo efforts by the band members, nor is there any reason why a Zeppelin fan necessarily would like them. I believe this will always be a factor in these discussions here.

But there is of course another side to it, namely blaming Robert for making a reunion this and reunion that impossible, and that has never made any sense to me. Led Zeppelin sounded like it did because all the members believed in what they were doing - it had real conviction because they meant it and enjoyed it. If only one of them no longer feels he belongs there, that only means it doesn't work any more. You can't blame Robert for doing what he wants to do. Is his solo stuff more exciting than what he could be doing with the others? I honestly don't know. You choose a path, it means you're not exploring all the others - and yet you have to choose a path in order to get anywhere. He knows he doesn't want to do a Zeppelin project - so be it.

I remain hopeful that Jimmy will work on the ideas he hoped to convince Robert and Jonesy to work on with him. We should remember, however, that Jimmy too does not owe us anything at all, and will have to do what he feels motivated to do himself. He will not be working with all the people we could think of that would "sound great with Jimmy", because that's just our ideas, not his ideas, and not his motives. But I do hope that Jimmy makes music again, and with people who are likely to bring out the adventurousness needed for the project to bear fruit. That's what the Crooked Vultures are about.

Good points Otto. Just to clarify my stance - I do agree with you that there's no issue if someone doesn't like Robert's solo work (or any of them) because it's not to their ear. Absolutely nothing wrong with that. As you said, it's subjective and taste is that. My issue is the blaming Robert and dismissing his music as crap simply because he's not working with Jimmy.

You're right - Jimmy owes us nothing. I think it's more a matter of having been so long since he's recorded or toured and seeing him shine at the 02 stirred up a lot of feelings that we miss the guy on stage if you see what I mean. But if he chooses not to perform anymore, I only wish him well and thank him for all he has given us.

Funny how dear Jonesy (and I'm not being sarcastic) can do whatever he pleases, and never does anyone point a finger. He's a lucky man indeed! I wish they all could have that freedom to explore without people (fans) deriding their endeavors. Jones works with Diamanda Galas and everyone shouts "HEY! JPJ has something going on! Yay!". Robert works with Alison and it's "WTF Robert?" I just don't get it. As if Robert Plant somehow has a greater responsibility to resurrect Led Zeppelin. As Otto said, they owe us NOTHING!!!

What next? Dig up Shubert and demand he finish his Unfinished Symphony? :P

Led Zeppelin issued their CODA (literally). CODA: A conclusion or closing part of a statement.

I think the implication is clear. Implication? It's a declaration! Zeppelin is like the pyramids. They were built. They awe us to this day. Pharaoh ain't building no more. So hop on the tour bus out of Cairo and take lots of pictures. Bask in the shadow of these great monuments. They are eternal. Be thankful you got to experience them at all.

• 4 months later...

Funny how dear Jonesy (and I'm not being sarcastic) can do whatever he pleases, and never does anyone point a finger. He's a lucky man indeed! I wish they all could have that freedom to explore without people (fans) deriding their endeavors. Jones works with Diamanda Galas and everyone shouts "HEY! JPJ has something going on! Yay!". Robert works with Alison and it's "WTF Robert?" I just don't get it. As if Robert Plant somehow has a greater responsibility to resurrect Led Zeppelin. As Otto said, they owe us NOTHING!!!

What next? Dig up Shubert and demand he finish his Unfinished Symphony? tongue.gif

Led Zeppelin issued their CODA (literally). CODA: A conclusion or closing part of a statement.

I think the implication is clear. Implication? It's a declaration! Zeppelin is like the pyramids. They were built. They awe us to this day. Pharaoh ain't building no more. So hop on the tour bus out of Cairo and take lots of pictures. Bask in the shadow of these great monuments. They are eternal. Be thankful you got to experience them at all.

agreed i forgot about that

• 2 months later...

i think they must call it diferent like after zepppelin or something like that it will be nice but if they practice a lot 'cose jimmy was not so godd the last time and plant sing very diferent they have to meka some changes!!!!

ouch

i hate to do this

*DISCALAIMER*........i may regret this post in the morning

ummmm............i actually saw (and it was part of a package dealwink.gif )........many bands from the 80s...........bands that are somehow glorified (and quite unworthily so).........and...............sometimes there are surprises

i will list 3

Pat Benatar- Rocks (yes i was surprised)

Def Leppard- sucks (ummmmmmmmmmmmmmm yeh)

Whitesnake..........coverdale

the guy was good...............i hated his guts too............thought he was a cheap Robert Plant impersinator

to this day...................i don't care for whitesnake.............i don;'t care for the coverdale /page stuff all that much

but that dude knows how to rock..........and entertain

so as much as it pains me

yeh

coverdale

If Zeppelin toured without Robert it wouldn't be Zeppelin. Just like when Plant and Page did a project, it wasn't Zeppelin.

Well, this is it exactly.

To their credit, Led Zeppelin let the band die with their drummer, rather than carry on ala The Who.

With Jason Bonham, the three surviving members are, in my mind, still Led Zeppelin. But take away any of them (even Jason Bonham really) and they just aren't.

And while I'd like to see Led Zeppelin tour for selfish reasons, I can understand why they wouldn't. They'd like to be remembered as they were in the 70s, and not as they are right now. Robert Plant is well aware he can't hit the high notes as he did in the day, and, while it might not bother the fans as much as I'm sure he thinks it might, I'm sure he doesn't want to go on a tour and be disapointing. He'd rather we remembered the band like they were. And I'm fine with that.

KB

Well, this is it exactly.

To their credit, Led Zeppelin let the band die with their drummer, rather than carry on ala The Who.

With Jason Bonham, the three surviving members are, in my mind, still Led Zeppelin. But take away any of them (even Jason Bonham really) and they just aren't.

And while I'd like to see Led Zeppelin tour for selfish reasons, I can understand why they wouldn't. They'd like to be remembered as they were in the 70s, and not as they are right now. Robert Plant is well aware he can't hit the high notes as he did in the day, and, while it might not bother the fans as much as I'm sure he thinks it might, I'm sure he doesn't want to go on a tour and be disapointing. He'd rather we remembered the band like they were. And I'm fine with that.

KB

But his reluctance to be part of "Led Zeppelin" again is not about whether or not he can hit the high notes. Their O2 performance proved they can easily work around that. Those guys were all about improvisation - if they were comfortable working together again, they would find the very best ways to make use of the beautiful vocal range that Robert has now. It isn't about that. It's just that the band ended 30 years ago, and they all deserve more credit than to be only spoken of in sentences that involve that band name.

But his reluctance to be part of "Led Zeppelin" again is not about whether or not he can hit the high notes. Their O2 performance proved they can easily work around that. Those guys were all about improvisation - if they were comfortable working together again, they would find the very best ways to make use of the beautiful vocal range that Robert has now. It isn't about that. It's just that the band ended 30 years ago, and they all deserve more credit than to be only spoken of in sentences that involve that band name.

Well Knebby, I have to agree. What you said kind of hits the spot, if you know what I mean.

Very well said, Knebby. :)

Now, if by some miracle, the three surviving members and Jason were to do another one off (I wouldn't mind at all, either; perhaps, including the entire Physical Graffiti album in the set would be a personal dream come true). ;)

R B)

Archived